Subject: Mono Tactics Combat Support Deck rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently working on a Tactics deck, so I have a deck ready when someone wants to join a game who has no deck. Since this will usually be the third player, the deck does not have to be able to do it all, therefore (and because Tactics is the least-used sphere in our games) I decided to build a mono Tactics combat support deck.

Heroes (Threat 25)

Éomer
Legolas
Merry

Allies (#25)

1x Landroval
2x Descendant of Thorondor
3x Eagles of the Misty Mountains
3x Winged Guardian
3x Vassal of the Windlord
1x Bofur
3x Gondorian Spearman
1x Trollshaw Scout
1x Watcher of the Bruinen
3x White Tower Watchman
3x Gandalf (Core Set)
1x Radagast

Attachments (#20)

3x Support of the Eagles -> Legolas, Éomer
2x Firefoot -> Éomer
3x Rohan Warhorse -> Éomer, Legolas, Merry
1x Horn of Gondor -> Merry
3x Rivendell Blade -> Legolas, Trollshaw Scout, Watcher of the Bruinen
2x Rivendell Bow -> Legolas, Trollshaw Scout
1x Black Arrow -> Legolas
2x Spear of the Citadel -> Gondorian Spearman
3x Book of Eldacar

Events (#15)

3x The Eagles Are Coming!
3x Foe-hammer
3x Hands Upon the Bow
2x Swift Strike
3x Feint
1x Thicket of Spears
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chadgar24
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
with no other hobbits in play I wonder if Merry is really that useful? i am assuming you are hoping to ready another character after he kills an enemy, but I doubt he will kill anything with 0 attack Brand son of Bain would do a better job of readying. But, I would put Beregond or Thalin in for Merry if it were my deck. And I would drop the Gandalfs, with no Sneak Attack you need to pay 5 to put him in play. With all the eagles, especially Descendant of Thorondor, you need Born Aloft and Meneldor's Flight to deal that damage.
Give it a couple plays, I think it needs some tweaks. but a 3rd player taking a tactic deck is a good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't Merry +1 attack? He is a Hobbit hero, after all.

He's mostly there, because he is 6 Threat only (and to generate another Tactics resource).

With his 2 Willpower he will most often just help questing.

And, yeah, maybe he can be used to ready another hero at some point, but that is just for those times where it happens to work out and not the main reason to put him into the deck.

As for Gandalf, I don't see the problem. He is absolutely worth paying 5 resources for, and mostly there for the Threat reduction, of course.

I had 3x Born Aloft in the deck originally (mostly to use it on Gandalf, actually), but removed it to lower the card count, since while useful, it is not that important, really.

The Descendant is also only moderately useful, I guess... he will just block some attack and die, if there is an enemy in the staging area to put that damage on, and then get attached to one of the Eagles of the Misty Mountains.

Maybe I will remove them from the deck even. Or put another in and two more Landroval to get some more card draw with The Eagles Are Coming! (can always use them to fuel those Noldor guys, if for nothing else).

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd consider eliminating the Watcher of the Bruinen for another copy of Trollshaw Scout. If you can get a Rivendell Blade on the Scout, you can have him attack all enemies and drop their defense by two, but the Watcher usually blocks and gets killed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
Merry is probably the most important tactics hero released so far. He has 6 threat and 2 willpower. Pretty much fits into any pure tactics deck as your main quester. Most other 2 willpower tactics characters simply are more use in attacking or defending, so you end up with a much higher starting threat for stats you never use because you need to quest. Merry solves that problem perfectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the deck will be able to use those guys a lot (because it costs a card each time).

The idea is to use the Watcher only to defend against some annoying weak enemies (instead of leaving them undefended), and he is mostly there to attack, actually (just like any other ally, but with the added bonus that they can carry that nifty blade). That is one use of the Rivendell Blade each turn without the added cost of losing a card.

The Scout can lend a hand in attacking (even for other players, thanks to being Ranged), whenever needed (at the cost of a card, though, so he can only be used here and there).

That's why there is only one each... they seem a bit too gimmicky to rely on them too much. But they can absolutely come in handy, so why not give them a try.

I wanted to include enough of the Rivendell weapons to find them quicker, but only Legolas can use them (apart from those two guys), so I added them in to have a use for any extra weapons I get.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
Merry is probably the most important tactics hero released so far. He has 6 threat and 2 willpower.

Yep.

Don't get distracted by the text on his card!

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chadgar24
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, Merry is a good quester, never said he wasn't. But if this is a support deck why do you need to be questing at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S.
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the point is he provides some value (questing, minimal attack/readying) for a very low threat cost (6), especially in Tactics.

Edit: Think of it like this. Even if his stats were all 0/0/0, with 2 HP, would you take 6 additional starting threat for an extra resource generation per round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chadgar24
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sure, why not? The guy asked for opinions,
Personally I would use a different hero. But thats just my opinion. I have never played a 3 person game, but I watched some. I imagine the tabletalk being like this:
Tactic Player "I can send 2 willpower...or should I just hold him back for the combat phase?"
Other player "Hold him back, I have Spirit and am sending enough, can he defend?'
"not really, only 1 defense, 2 hit points."
"Can he attack?"
"only +1 attack...."
"So why is he in this deck?"
"he gets me my 3rd resource, and my threat is lowish...25."
"but for 4 more threat you could have Beragond, so you could defend, play weapons for free (saving resources), and since you are the attack deck we want the enemies to attack you, so a high threat does not matter. We want you to optionally engage an enemy and take another"
"True, but Merry...he has um...I got nothing."

obviously I am just joking around But, if it were me, I would use someone else assuming I will be doing the attacking/defending anyway so my threat can climb a bit.

Now...a solo tactics deck with Merry....that makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chadgar24 wrote:
But if this is a support deck why do you need to be questing at all?

Well, why not? There will be another card coming from the encounter deck each turn, so some more Willpower does not hurt. And if he is not needed, he can always use his ready ability to allow one of the combat buffs to strike again.

He will be useful, either if more questing or more killing power is needed.

How is that bad?

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chadgar24
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You said at the start this was a mono-tactics-combat-support deck, and then said Merry is in it to quest/ready another hero. So...play it, see if it works, it probably will, but I think you could make this deck stronger and more on task.
I have not disagreed with anything you have said about Merry as a card, my point is that in MY opinion there are better options for a combat support deck. In a multiplayer game you want each deck to do its job, one guy quests, one guy generates resources and plays attachments, and one guy does most of the fighting. If the combat guy can take 2 enemies each round, either directly or range/sentinel the ones engaged with the other players, he is doing his job. Merry does not help kill...+1 attack is nothing. So yeah, he can participate, to trigger his ability and then ready the actual fighter...but why not have unexpected courage on the fighter given to you by one of the other players? Or one of the mounts? Again, Merry has his uses, he is a good card, but for a tactic support combat deck I, emphasis on I, would not use him. Give me a hero that will defend or kill something by themselves and a readying effect on my other heros.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mighty Rauros
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, this gave me a lightbulb moment, in any case:

Theoden
Merry
Halfing Determination

...aaaand Tactics can quest now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chadgar24 wrote:
I have not disagreed with anything you have said about Merry as a card, my point is that in MY opinion there are better options for a combat support deck.

Got that.

Quote:
In a multiplayer game you want each deck to do its job, one guy quests, one guy generates resources and plays attachments, and one guy does most of the fighting.

I think this here might actually be the core of the "disagreement".

Of course, this deck is mostly about fighting (well, it's mono Tactics, so that was to be expected either way).

However, because its main purpose is fighting, I do not quite agree that it has to be completely focused on just fighting. There are always turns where you do not need much fighting power, and then it will be handy to have at least something else, as little as it may be.

And a high starting Threat is always a bad thing, even if you are supposed to be fighting. It means you have to take more enemies right away, there is no choice, no control.

That's why I prefer Merry here, since he allows me to start with just 25 Threat, about what the other decks will likely have as well.

Quote:
Merry does not help kill...+1 attack is nothing. So yeah, he can participate, to trigger his ability and then ready the actual fighter...

Another attacking hero would be less useful than Merry (and have a higher Threat cost on top of that), because of the "force multiplier" effect of readying. Once Legolas is powered up a bit, he should be able to take care of normal enemies on his own, thus enabling Merry to double his effectiveness.

For example, I have an enemy engaged that requires 6 damage to kill. Legolas is equipped with Support of the Eagles and can deal 6 damage. Now I use Legolas and Merry to kill that enemy, readying Legolas afterwards. Effectively, Merry has just dealt 6 damage.

Also, how often is just one point of damage missing. With Merry, I get that +1 and do not even exhaust my actual attacker (since I can ready him afterwards). With another attacking hero, I would lose an extra attack and waste potential damage.

So, if I need the extra fighting power to dispatch multiple enemies, I have that with Merry. And if not, I have a decent Willpower. In both cases, I have a lower starting Threat.

Of course, if there is a really tough enemy to kill, a bigger hero would be better. No argument there. But how often will that come into play?

Quote:
...but why not have unexpected courage on the fighter given to you by one of the other players? Or one of the mounts?

Those require you to have them first. Merry is right there.

Quote:
Give me a hero that will defend or kill something by themselves and a readying effect on my other heros.

A defending hero, like Beregond, would be a useful addition.

It would be a slightly different path, though, and the deck would likely look a bit different, too (i.e. some defensive attachments for him).

I don't think it would be "better", just "different".

Overall, I prefer the lower Threat, though, as explained above.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chadgar24
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough we will agree to disagree on a couple points. Thanks for the polite and entertaining topic and I wish you and all your decks/games much luck & fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I made some changes to the deck, making it a bit more versatile by replacing Éomer with Beregond, and getting it down to 50 cards. Offensive power is down a bit, but there is a strong defender available now from the start.

Heroes (Threat 25)

Beregond
Legolas
Merry

Allies (#18)

3x Eagles of the Misty Mountains
3x Winged Guardian
3x Vassal of the Windlord
1x Bofur
2x Watcher of the Bruinen
3x White Tower Watchman
3x Gandalf (Core Set)

Attachments (#17)

1x Horn of Gondor -> Merry
2x Citadel Plate -> Beregond
1x Gondorian Shield -> Beregond
3x Rivendell Blade -> Legolas, Watcher of the Bruinen
2x Rivendell Bow -> Legolas, Watcher of the Bruinen
1x Black Arrow -> Legolas
1x Rohan Warhorse -> Legolas
3x Support of the Eagles -> Legolas
3x Book of Eldacar

Events (#15)

3x The Eagles Are Coming!
3x Foe-hammer
3x Hands Upon the Bow
3x Feint
3x Behind Strong Walls

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.