Subject: An alternative take on Ents rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Fistful of Meeples
mbmbmbmbmb
with the upcoming Ent cards spoiled by Fantasy Flight, I was a bit disappointed - they felt a bit too weak, and not sufficiently Ent-y

Here's my attempt to create something which felt a bit more thematically in keeping - http://dorcuarthol.wordpress.com/2014/06/06/ents/

If anyone wants just the images without the design thinking, they can be found here - http://imgur.com/a/rES7x
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I really like the time mechanic applied to the Ents. That may be something I house rule when they are available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schock
United States
Bentonville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Time is an interesting mechanic. Typically, Time is marked resource tokens. How do you do that for a hero in Treebeard?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also be worried about the amount of readying effects we have available. An Unexpected Courage or two on Treebeard would make him a beast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Fistful of Meeples
mbmbmbmbmb
Mongol wrote:
Time is an interesting mechanic. Typically, Time is marked resource tokens. How do you do that for a hero in Treebeard?

I tend to use progress tokens - as the other two tokens (resource and damage) could already be on a hero for other reasons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Fistful of Meeples
mbmbmbmbmb
GeckoTH wrote:
I'd also be worried about the amount of readying effects we have available. An Unexpected Courage or two on Treebeard would make him a beast.

Good point. I might change it to be a bit more restrictive.

I think something like "cannot be readied by player card effects." Is probably the easiest - I don't want to rule out condition attachments entirely, as he feels like a perfect candidate for love of tales.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ent Moot is stupidly powerful, and Song of the Entwines is almost completely useless.

For Treebeard you need to increase his threat substantially, only readying every other round is definitely not punishment enough for those huge stats. You could also lower his stats to something more like 2/4/4 (which is still incredibly huge)

I would also perhaps add something like, "Treebeard can only ready once per round" to at least keep him from doing lots of things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Elias
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Very nice!
I'm quite happy with how they're doing ents but this is very well thought out. Thanks for sharing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.