J H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
It's a standard 100 point tournament and after narrowing down my collection and experience, I'm leaning towards one of these lists. Suggestions or advice welcome. With the release of the Phantom and a shaking up of the meta, I've started to experiment with Flechette Torpedoes and/or Tactician as a way to negate any manoeuvre shenanigans.

Jan Ors (Swarm, Ion Turret, Chewbacca) + Ibtisam (Vet, FCS, Flechette, Munitions) + Dagger Squadron (FCS, Flechette, Munitions)

Everybody shooting at PS8. FCS B-Wings take the initial shot at range 3 with TL + Flechette to apply stress on big targets (hopefully missing, keeping the torps) and then get down and dirty with 4 attack, TL + Focus shots. Chewie in the HWK to keep her alive and mess enemy target priority. 99 pts to bid for initiative. I could drop the Dagger to a Blue and switch Ibtisam to Ten Numb.

Chewbacca (Gunner, Draw Fire) + 2 x Blue Squadron (FCS, Flechettes)

Lower PS build but with more health to chew through. Gunner + Draw makes Chewie a sustained threat. Switching the B-Wings' FCS+Flechettes for Advanced Sensors would let me stick a Tactician on Chewie, or switch Draw for PTL. I like this list but I'm worried it leaves me vulnerable to higher-pilot skill builds.

Ethan (PTL, Sensors) + Cracken (Wingman, Clusters, Munitions) + 2 x Tala Squadron (Concussion, Munitions)

This one is built for a devastating alpha-strike. Ethan A'baht uses PTL to move into a good position. Cracken clears his stress, target locks and fires the Clusters - giving two free focus actions to the Talas, who target lock and fire Concussions. That's 17 attack dice with 2 guaranteed crits. However, while aggressive, this list lacks staying power and if the alpha strike whiffs then it's in deep trouble.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe in 4 ships or more (falcon counts as two) so I would go with your falcon list simply as I believe it would give you the most consistent results.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Danath wrote:
I believe in 4 ships or more (falcon counts as two) so I would go with your falcon list simply as I believe it would give you the most consistent results.


Thanks for the advice. This is pretty consistent reasoning. Would you run Advanced Sensors on the B-Wings instead?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
forkins wrote:

Thanks for the advice. This is pretty consistent reasoning. Would you run Advanced Sensors on the B-Wings instead?


I actually really love the idea of getting a Target Lock so those Flechettes become a lot scarier. I hate to admit this but I haven't used Flechettes yet but stress at the right time can work things in your favor! While I like Adv Sensors I don't use it a lot. I think the biggest benefit is two things, 1 fixing a flying mistake from the round before and 2 getting a focus before you would lose it. I don't make flying mistakes like I use to and a FCS allows you a TL from the round before.

And the upside is when you land range 1 with a previous target lock and take a focus. You can pretty much smell the 4 hits at that point.

So I guess if you feel like you need the flying assistance go ahead and take the adv sensors. Otherwise I think FCS and Flechettes would be pretty rockin'!

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Bull
England
Southwater
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Advanced Sensors are also great if you are likely to face low PS opponents that wish to deny your actions by blocking. Most of the time I tend to equip FCS on Bs.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D.T. Chow
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Chewie & 2 B list is the most solid against a variety of squads, I'd go with that. FCS is great with blues, I'd only use Advanced Sensors on Daggers, it's more effective with higher PS.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason McMahon
United States
Circle Pines
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the Chewie list the best as well.

Here is a Chewie list that I have had some fun and pretty good results with.

http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/98265/chewies-dagger-bandits
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jamcrmm wrote:
I like the Chewie list the best as well.

Here is a Chewie list that I have had some fun and pretty good results with.

http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/98265/chewies-dagger-bandits


hehe I think I've built an almost identical list. I think I had a Gunner instead of Han and Determination and FCS instead.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim East
Australia
flag msg tools
forkins wrote:


Ethan (PTL, Sensors) + Cracken (Wingman, Clusters, Munitions) + 2 x Tala Squadron (Concussion, Munitions)

This one is built for a devastating alpha-strike. Ethan A'baht uses PTL to move into a good position. Cracken clears his stress, target locks and fires the Clusters - giving two free focus actions to the Talas, who target lock and fire Concussions. That's 17 attack dice with 2 guaranteed crits. However, while aggressive, this list lacks staying power and if the alpha strike whiffs then it's in deep trouble.


I might be missing something here but how does Cracken give two free focus actions?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Bull
England
Southwater
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CptShrike wrote:
forkins wrote:


Ethan (PTL, Sensors) + Cracken (Wingman, Clusters, Munitions) + 2 x Tala Squadron (Concussion, Munitions)

This one is built for a devastating alpha-strike. Ethan A'baht uses PTL to move into a good position. Cracken clears his stress, target locks and fires the Clusters - giving two free focus actions to the Talas, who target lock and fire Concussions. That's 17 attack dice with 2 guaranteed crits. However, while aggressive, this list lacks staying power and if the alpha strike whiffs then it's in deep trouble.


I might be missing something here but how does Cracken give two free focus actions?


I think he means that cluster missiles gives 2 seperate attacks. Crackens card says "After you perform an attack you may choose another friendly ship at range 1".

I'm not sure how this would be ruled, but there are plenty of experts that will find the answer in the wording somehow. But there is a chance he might be right with the issueing of two focus actions!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Bull
England
Southwater
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just had a quick look at the FAQ and cluster missiles is definately two seperate attacks. Which would trigger Crakens' ability twice. Its a pilot ability not an action, so no reason to prohibit due to one use only. Hans' pilot ability is triggered more than once if gunner is equipped, so as it stands then I think Forkins might just have this correct. Best let a few others with ruling expertise have a look first though.

If it turns out to be legit then congrats to Forkins for recognising this.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim East
Australia
flag msg tools
Cowpers wrote:
Just had a quick look at the FAQ and cluster missiles is definately two seperate attacks. Which would trigger Crakens' ability twice. Its a pilot ability not an action, so no reason to prohibit due to one use only. Hans' pilot ability is triggered more than once if gunner is equipped, so as it stands then I think Forkins might just have this correct. Best let a few others with ruling expertise have a look first though.

If it turns out to be legit then congrats to Forkins for recognising this.


It does seem to be the prevailing theory at the moment. Good eye Forkins and thanks for sharing it with us!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.