Brazil
Curitiba
PR
flag msg tools
Quartel-Mestre da Confraria Lúdica
badge
Polímata
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our first game a few days back. My fellow gamers are a fiercely competitive group, and I was surprised when one of them (playing as an investor) proposed to a manager: "I'll pay you one half of the earnings. If they're negative, I'll pay the full cost." The manager accepted, and soon all investors were making similar proposals.

Is this legal, I wonder? It seems to me that the whole point of the game is to put the burden of risk in the investors's hands, but with these agreements this is somewhat lessened, or at least shared, with the manager.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
lclaudius wrote:
We played our first game a few days back. My fellow gamers are a fiercely competitive group, and I was surprised when one of them (playing as an investor) proposed to a manager: "I'll pay you one half of the earnings. If they're negative, I'll pay the full cost." The manager accepted, and soon all investors were making similar proposals.

Is this legal, I wonder? It seems to me that the whole point of the game is to put the burden of risk in the investors's hands, but with these agreements this is somewhat lessened, or at least shared, with the manager.

Of course it is legal, but I wouldn't say it's ENFORCEABLE because you're only allowed to write a number in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
I imagine that it isn't in the intent of the rules, however your group should play the game as they wish.

Personally I wouldn't like it because it allows for lazier bidding if the players are bidding percentages. It removes some of the evaluation and risk management from the investors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
lankyb wrote:
I imagine that it isn't in the intent of the rules, however your group should play the game as they wish.

Personally I wouldn't like it because it allows for lazier bidding if the players are bidding percentages. It removes some of the evaluation and risk management from the investors.

So don't let your investors make that deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.