Popular Tags: [View All]
Imaginary Thomas
Canada
Russell
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm new to Ogre and I picked up the pocket version as an impulse buy (sick of hearing that yet?)

I saw there's a bunch of scenarios on the Steve Jackson site but many of them have ogres not included with the pocket version (anything not Mk 3 and MK 4). Is there a resource for 1977 era scenarios?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skeletonhat wrote:
I'm new to Ogre and I picked up the pocket version as an impulse buy (sick of hearing that yet?)

I saw there's a bunch of scenarios on the Steve Jackson site but many of them have ogres not included with the pocket version (anything not Mk 3 and MK 4). Is there a resource for 1977 era scenarios?

You mean Mk III and Mk V - those are the most common.

The SJ games site includes stats for all those Ogres... you can simple make a record sheet for them and use any ogre counter you wish as a representation...

http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/products/ogre6e/img/ogre_rec_she...

Or older style:
http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/resources/record/

Many Scenarios here:
http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/scenarios/

(But some assume you have GEV, Shockwave, Battlefields, Ogre Reinforcement pack, etc with counters and rules not found in pocket edition)

A list of all SJGames published scenarios per game is found here:
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=91168

There were some others in Space Gamer magazine way back when, as well as additional alternative counters and Ogre fiction... I and others have documented those Magazines and articles on the Ogre game page "More Information" section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Pocket Edition is only intended for playing the basic "Smash the CP!" scenario and simple variants of it (which I think are in the Pocket Ogre rules somewhere). Without real terrain rules and more interesting maps, there's not much room for scenario development. You'll need GEV for that, whether an old copy or the huge Designer's Edition. The DE should be especially appealing to those interested in scenario design, as it includes tons of buildings, special troops/transports, and overlays to add variety to the maps. It's practically a toolkit for wargame scenario design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imaginary Thomas
Canada
Russell
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peapicker wrote:

You mean Mk III and Mk V - those are the most common.

The SJ games site includes stats for all those Ogres... you can simple make a record sheet for them and use any ogre counter you wish as a representation...

I don't know why I didnt think of that. Thanks for the resources!

tppytel wrote:
It's practically a toolkit for wargame scenario design.

After playing some of this pocket ogre I'm really eyeing GEV. This line alone makes be unnaturally excited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skeletonhat wrote:
After playing some of this pocket ogre I'm really eyeing GEV. This line alone makes be unnaturally excited.

Then you'll want not just GEV, but the whole Designer's Edition package. If you just buy an old copy of GEV, you'll get some more conventional forces, a train, and a couple of maps. The DE includes not only that stuff, but also a lot of items from the later Shockwave expansion, as well as a whole slew of overlays, buildings, and other stuff that's all new. There are even more overlays and objective counters available in the BGG and S&TO sponsor sheets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imaginary Thomas
Canada
Russell
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like it's pretty hard to track down. I'll add it to my list of "White Whale" games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you could do like me and modify a stack of the OGRE Pocket Edition sets into G.E.V., Shockwave, and Battlefields. All you really need then is the maps, which do pop up on ebay every so often.

I did manage to win an auction for a Reinforcements and Battlefields pack (Just arrived today!), but had already bought a stack of the pocket editions... Don't really want to cut apart the older counter sheets, so I guess I'll stick with the original plan.

The one thing I really want is high quality scans of the miscellaneous terrain pieces from the Designer Edition that can be scaled down to fit on the old maps...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skeletonhat wrote:
Looks like it's pretty hard to track down.

There's an in-shrink copy in Canada listed in the Marketplace for $90, which is less than the MSRP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imaginary Thomas
Canada
Russell
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tppytel wrote:

There's an in-shrink copy in Canada listed in the Marketplace for $90, which is less than the MSRP.

Oh my wife isn't going to like you, tppytel.

Thanks for the heads up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Sunley
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[Todd says there isn't much room for scenario development in the basic Ogre PE set.]

I don't know about that.

There is an Ogre Scenario Book pdf on Warehouse23. Every scenario uses the Ogre map (except one which uses two Ogre maps end to end). It looks like you don't need any units other than what Pocket Ogre includes. (Correction:two of the scenarios use superheavy tanks, but the stats and rules for those are in the freely downloadable Ogre DE rulebook on the SJGames website.)

This sounds like exactly what you want.

(Come to think of it, SJGames should really be promoting this heavily at the moment. It really is a perfect companion piece to Ogre Pocket Edition.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imaginary Thomas
Canada
Russell
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh thats exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!

You would think they would promote that themselves, eh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard to argue too much with the Scenario Book for only $5, but IMO most of those scenarios are adding a lot of baggage due to the lack of design resources to work with. I'd rather play one of the GEV scenarios anytime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imaginary Thomas
Canada
Russell
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm talks to buy that designers edition mentioned above. He's about a2 hour drive from me and I'm sure that would be cheaper than shipping that monstrosity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.