Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Arn
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got done playing through the Extra Quick version on easy mode, solo, with 2 explorers so that I can teach the game, and there were several situations that came up which I am not sure about.

1) Monster Action - If a monster cannot use an ability at the start of its turn, it moves. However, does it continue to move until it is blocked, or adjacent to an explorer? Or does it just move enough to use its ability?

2) Moon-beast ability “Pull 2 spaces”. Does that mean pull explorers from 2 different spaces, or pull one explorer from 2 spaces away?

3) If you can pay for it, can you use an ability more than once? For example, can an explorer fire twice with the Rouge Rifle in the same turn?

4) K’Thun has the text “Immobile”. Does that mean it does not move during its turn? Or that abilities such as push and pull cannot affect it? Or both?

5) When using the Heavy Javelin “Attack [2][2]; push 1 space”. If the attack kills the monster, does it still get pushed 1 space? This would be important when the monster Byaknee is also on the board.

6) In Normal mode, there are rules for picking up and dropping items. However, there is a section earlier in the rulebook that says when you drop an item, it is destroyed. If a card says you have to (say) drop a weapon after you use it, is it destroyed in easy mode but lies on the board if you are playing normal mode?

7) When an event card says “Collect 3 essences”, do I have to pay 3 essences for the quest to be completed? The rulebook says that I may lose essences to meet the condition, but it does not say I HAVE to lose essences to complete the quest.

8) When playing with the variant, Puppeteer, does the GM have full control over the monsters, or does he have to play the monsters by the rules in the book (the normal AI)?

9) In normal mode, how do the Edge tokens actually work? The way that I read it on p.26, once you spend 2 stamina to reveal a new tile you then place an edge token on those 2 spaces that would connect to the new tile - making the path impassable (which does not seem right).

10) At the beginning of the game, are all explorers placed on the board before the explorer phase? If so, where are they placed?

11) If an explorer dies, can the player chose any of the remaining explorers to start with? Meaning, as a group, you have 12-15 lives in the game? This seems like an extreme losing condition. (And my understanding is this is the only way to lose the game?).

12) As a follow up, p.18 says the player can place the new explorer figure near or on an existing entry token. But the only way to have a start token on the board is once you are returning from base, or on certain end tiles? Correct? So what do you do if there are no start tiles?

13) What are all the red and blue die to be used for? Just extra game die so each player can have one (and then some) when spawning monsters?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Wilker
Germany
Lemgo
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think I can answer some of your questions.
1) I moves until it can activate one of its abilities.
3) You can use it as often as you can pay for it
9) You can pass through the edge token. It only means, that you can not explore additional map tiles from this one. So you can only explore one of the up to four sides of a map tile.
12) If there is no entry token, you can not enter the board with new explorers.
13) These are attribute dice you use to track your current armor and will level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Comeyne
Belgium
Assebroek (Brugge)
West-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I’d play it:
1/ After every step moved, check if an ability can be played.
2/ one explorer for 2 spaces.
3/ As long as you can pay for it, you can fire more than once.
4/ Immobile means you can’t be pushed/pulled.
5/ Following the rule, the “push one space” comes after the “Attack[2][2]” so the pushing will not take place if the figure is allready killed..
6/ Yes.
7/ Yes, that’s how I would play it too. But if you want to play a little bit more thematically, you can play that at least one actual “collect” should be done first”.
8/ I’d say you don’t have to follow the AI-rules. But this means it’ll be more difficult to use traps… The whole play-experience seems very difference this way.
9/ Placing an edge doesn’t mean that it becomes impassable. You can still move over it.
10/ Explorers are placed on and adjacent to the entry token before the explorers take actions.
11/ That’s how I understand it too.
12/ No entry token = you can't enter the board.
13/ They are to show your attribute-values so you don’t always have to count them again (red=armor, blue=will)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juraj Bilić
Croatia
Varazdin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Everything is correct, except Immobile units.
They can't move, they are 'immobile'.
And you are correct, additionally, they can't be pushed or pulled.

*edit (additional clarification about number 7)
Quote:
7) When an event card says “Collect 3 essences”, do I have to pay 3 essences for the quest to be completed? The rulebook says that I may lose essences to meet the condition, but it does not say I HAVE to lose essences to complete the quest.

It is true that you don't need to use that if you don't want.
You can wait 2 rounds, then collect 1 essence, then wait 1 more round then collect 2 essence, and at that moment you would have completed the quest (no need to lose all 3 at the same time).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael paal
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
would it be possible to post the questions with answers on a official FAQ page?

I think there will be many people that ask the same questions over and over again (me probably too, as I can't play the game for the next few weeks). A FAQ page might be highly appreciated ; )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juraj Bilić
Croatia
Varazdin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Can you give me directions how to do that?
A good example etc..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burton
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
astroarn wrote:
11) If an explorer dies, can the player chose any of the remaining explorers to start with? Meaning, as a group, you have 12-15 lives in the game? This seems like an extreme losing condition. (And my understanding is this is the only way to lose the game?).

I did a solo play on normal mode. After the second player died, it became apparent that I was not going to survive the game due to the existing monsters, the monster threat and monster level, and the dwindling amount of items I had. I could have thrown all 15 explorers into the mountain one after the other, but they would have almost assuredly met the same fate that my first two explorers met. At that point, I decided to accept my defeat.

I would suggest that when you see that adding a new explorer isn't likely to give you a chance of surviving that you end the game. This will save you time and, possibly, frustration too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Arn
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses!

Asipu wrote:
Can you give me directions how to do that?
A good example etc..

I think the easiest way to do this would be to copy/write questions and answers into a text document. Export the text document to .pdf and upload the .pdf to the files section.

An example of such can be found here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/94539/advanced-rues-guide
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Arn
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, a couple more questions/clarifications:

On cards like Puncturing Revolver, it states “Attack [3]; reduce attack rolls by 1 this round (max 2)”. Does this mean, reduce enemy attack roll by 1, or reduce your future attack roll by 1 (during this round)?

The Trench Coat says ”When your one hand is unequipped, increase attack rolls by 1. I have the Teleportabulus (2 hands) with the Puncturing Revolver (1 hand) upgrade. If I attack with the Puncturing Revolver abilities, does that mean I get the Trench Coat passive ability?

On a Horror card that reads “Attack [1] per monster level to explorers”, if the monster level is 3, does that mean perform 3 attacks with 1 die on all explorers, or does it mean perform 1 attack with 3 die on all explorers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juraj Bilić
Croatia
Varazdin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Quote:
On cards like Puncturing Revolver, it states “Attack [3]; reduce attack rolls by 1 this round (max 2)”. Does this mean, reduce enemy attack roll by 1, or reduce your future attack roll by 1 (during this round)?

When you use that ability on your target, your target has reduced attack rolls this round (this effect may stack up to 2 times).
*note: it has reduced attack rolls even if you don't hit with the attack

Quote:
The Trench Coat says ”When your one hand is unequipped, increase attack rolls by 1. I have the Teleportabulus (2 hands) with the Puncturing Revolver (1 hand) upgrade. If I attack with the Puncturing Revolver abilities, does that mean I get the Trench Coat passive ability?

You may attack with revolver, but all your hands are used by equipped items, so Trench coat effect is not applied.

Quote:
On a Horror card that reads “Attack [1] per monster level to explorers”, if the monster level is 3, does that mean perform 3 attacks with 1 die on all explorers, or does it mean perform 1 attack with 3 die on all explorers?

It means 1 attack with 3 dice on all explorers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Arn
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the quick replies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.