Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So kicking around buying this or B-17. What are the differences between the two along with both of their strengths and weaknesses. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played B-17 in a looooooooong time and B-29 in a few years now. I seem to recall that both games basically play the same in that you roll dice and react to the outcome except that in B-29 you get to make a few decisions along the way.

I summed it up long ago with something like B-29 has more die rolls, a bit more player involvement and takes longer to play (more going on in a turn). Both tell compelling stories, but you learn quite a bit about flying a B-29.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Robinson
United States
Neptune City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played B-17 but have played B-29 and seemed to recall it being nothing more than a story that progresses by rolling dice. As the designer states, pretty much "your just along for the ride" very little decision making to change the outcome. Good designer notes and historically well researched.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
I answered a similar question a while back on the B-17 page... here was my answer. Might help.

jasta6 wrote:
GeekDadGamer wrote:
Tony M wrote:
How complicated is this game, guys? I own 'B-29 Superfortress,' which is based on the B-17 design, and find it to be waaaay too top heavy with charts and DRMs to be playable. Is B-17 as complicated?

...If B-29 is like B-17, you might not like B-17 that much. It isn't complicated, but it is very chart heavy...

I respectively disagree here. Though it is chart driven it has immensely fewer charts than B-29. I think the chart folder is like 42 pages in B-29. B-17 has something like 9 charts of which two are for set up and only referenced once per mission. Granted many of B-29s charts are for setup too. So yes the charts drive the game with many, many die rolls to determine the outcome, but it is far less charts than B-29.

I do agree that it is more of a ride through history at times but then for all but the two pilots this was exactly what the crew members had to go through. With the BIG difference that their experience was not a game it was real, Life and Death, situation.

I like B-17 better or its narrative developed as you play out your missions more so than B-29.

Jim

Oops, forgot to answer the underlying question... B-17 is much less complicated than B-29.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.