Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriel Forster
United States
South Lyon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a youth pastor and routinely am coming up with activities for teens. In the past, I have played "life-size" versions of board games and am looking for some new ideas.

What I am not looking for is "let's build the board game really really big," but a way to convert it into an activity. Generally, not where players move large pieces, but where players are the pieces in the world of the game. For example, in the past, we have done:

Monopoly - properties are at different families' actual houses. The bank was at the church. Teams travelled by vehicle (adult drivers) from house to house, etc. The game was timed and points were assigned for # of properties & amount of money to determine the winner.
Clue - Played in the church building. Adult volunteers dressed as different characters. Clues were placed throughout the building and different rooms were used as the rooms from the game.
(speed) Scrabble - Pizza box lids/cardboard pieces with letters on them. Teams worked together to run to the piles of "tiles" and spell words. It was very active.
(speed) Cootie - different stations w/dice that had to be rolled so that they could complete the puzzle. Instructions here.

I would love to get some modern games in there. I have some ideas for Settlers of Catan and Escape: Curse of the Temple but I'm looking for more. Pandemic may also work, but not having a clear view of the whole area might be an issue.

Thanks for any ideas!

Edit: added speed cootie link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom S.
United States
Sykesville
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen pictures of a giant King of Tokyo game that Iello brings to the cons that looks awesome. I know the youth at my church would love it.

Giant dice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Wertz
United States
Souderton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you knew someone that had enough land (or a local farmer would be willing to help), it would probably be easy to setup a variation of Agricola.

It would also be fun to have giant sized "resources" and actually try and build the 7 Wonders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Forster
United States
South Lyon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
weezknight wrote:
If you knew someone that had enough land (or a local farmer would be willing to help), it would probably be easy to setup a variation of Agricola.

It would also be fun to have giant sized "resources" and actually try and build the 7 Wonders.

Agricola...worker placement with actual "workers." Hmmm.....I think I like it!

I'm trying to imagine how 7 Wonders would play out and can't quite picture it in my head. I'm going to give it some thought though. These activities don't need to be 100% accurate translations of the board game, so I'm sure we can figure out a way to make it work.

I like the King of Tokyo idea too....which made me think of Rampage. That would be fun - maybe make the buildings out of large cardboard pieces (refrigerator boxes and such). I've just got to figure out a relatively safe way for the kids to destroy them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Wertz
United States
Souderton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gforste wrote:

Agricola...worker placement with actual "workers." Hmmm.....I think I like it!

I'm trying to imagine how 7 Wonders would play out and can't quite picture it in my head. I'm going to give it some thought though. These activities don't need to be 100% accurate translations of the board game, so I'm sure we can figure out a way to make it work.

I like the King of Tokyo idea too....which made me think of Rampage. That would be fun - maybe make the buildings out of large cardboard pieces (refrigerator boxes and such). I've just got to figure out a relatively safe way for the kids to destroy them.

I was trying to think of games where you could take certain "parts" and mechanics of them to make it work. It would be kind of overwhelming to port over an entire game rule-for-rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendall McKenzie
United Kingdom
Bournemouth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gforste wrote:

Rampage would make a great activity/game. If you build up some buildings out of old cardboard boxes like you said, and maybe instead of meeples, use small wrapped sweets. Then on your turn you can take one step to move, underarm throw a small ball at a structure (like a bus in the real game), or jump in place to try to knock things down. And then instead of using neighbourhoods, you can pick up any sweets/tokens that you can reach while standing in the same spot.

This way too, everyone wins something because they get to eat the sweets they collected at the end of the game.

EDIT: although since it would be turn-based it would probably be a bit better with a smaller group than you seem to normally have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sell
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
One I thought about making that would be an absolute blast is String Railway. If you have played this on a tabletop, you could imagine it in a back yard. It may not be life sized, but large scale is more like it. I thought 1'sq tiles would be great and maybe 25' and a 50 for the single long rope.

In my imagination the confines of a yard would really bring this one to life as a large scale game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Clegg
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fearsome Floors, obv.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I made a life-sized version of Zombie in my Pocket to be played during a college orientation week with a bunch of incoming freshmen and it was a big hit. (This is the thread where I started to record my progress but I irresponsibly never updated it because I forgot to take pictures.)

I made the game by cutting out 3'x3' squares of masonite and drawing rough illustrations to resemble each of the game's tiles. To play the game, a player would stand on the starting tile and then draw tokens from a bag (the actual regular-sized game) representing which tiles to lay down next. Then the game master (me) would draw an oversized card (a full posterboard) as the Event for that turn. I was standing on a balcony above the floor so everyone could see me clearly.

When the player encountered items, they would be given props and were forced to physically carry them around. When zombies were encountered, I'd shout out the number ("Three!") and that many people would step forward from the group of players waiting for a turn. Everyone would act out a zombie fight using the props and the game would continue.

I graduated the next year so I never played the life-sized version again, but it was still a great success.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fong
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a racing game like Formula D? You draw the track and have the kids work in teams. You have one player (as a car) per team who races the course and one player who rolls the distance. You can even make this a speed version with limited dice type(d2,d3,d6).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oddtime wrote:
One I thought about making that would be an absolute blast is String Railway. If you have played this on a tabletop, you could imagine it in a back yard. It may not be life sized, but large scale is more like it. I thought 1'sq tiles would be great and maybe 25' and a 50 for the single long rope.

In my imagination the confines of a yard would really bring this one to life as a large scale game.

That. Sounds. Awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Vassel has a video somewhere showing how he set up a cardboard box tunnle maze. Nicely detailed about the level of effort required.

I've seen pics for life size RoboRally. Fit your board to a large room size and go.

Logic mazes http://www.logicmazes.com/ lend themselves to easy set up as well. See The Bureaucratic Maze in particular. To be kind, you can let them know that the activity IS a logic maze.

I'd think you could set up something between Monza and Formula D both in terms of board size, complexity, and rule set might work nicely. Although, you'd have to handle dice rolling somehow. Gears could just be another d6 (1d6, 2d6, 3d6, 4d6, 5d6), if you have the space for someone to move 30 spaces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DigitalMan
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/video/5378/loopin-louie/life-size-l...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Beach
United Kingdom
Bristol
Avon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could do a 'life size' version of PitchCar or Crokinole where you have someone on a skateboard (or anything else with wheels) and instead of flicking, the rest of the team have give them as big a push as possible, round a course or towards a target. No idea how safe it'd be, but could be fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Life size Chicken Cha Cha Cha is available (at least in germany) as Maxi Zicke Zacke Hühnerkacke.

There's a geeklist that shows some other extra large or lifesize boardgames (for example Go, Chess, and RoboRally):
BGG Picture Museum Photo Album #3: Playing Games on Super-Sized Boards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Scotland Yard?

Seems perfect to play real-life sized with a cell phone that can trigger Mister X's location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:
What about Scotland Yard?

Seems perfect to play real-life sized with a cell phone that can trigger Mister X's location.

I actually looked into making this with a programmer friend. The roadblock is that it will only work for people who accept to share their locations with every other player, so it can be a pain to get a game set up and not many people are willing to be followed by strangers. And it can be really tricky to get multiple locations to show up on one map (at least for iOS, don't know about Android. But this was a few years ago, the API might have gotten a little easier to work with by now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Forster
United States
South Lyon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective work? I'm thinking we could either setup different rooms as different locations, or different volunteer's houses. Any idea which scenario may fit best/easiest? I don't currently own the game, but it would be a nice excuse to get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried a live version of Nuns on the Run?

I think the key here would be similar to how you've modified the game in Monopoly, Clue, and Scrabble. You didn't stick to the boardgames' rules, but you took some aspect of it and made a physical experience out of it.

So Nuns on the Run might be viable with a very loose revisioning of the rules... you might need referees to help with the game flow. I think it would be fun to have the camp counselors be the abbesses on patrol, and they're basically doing a non-stationary hide-and-seek game. The counselors would be limited to a particular patrol path, but they are free to react to noises and other telltale signs the campers make as they sneak around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.