Raymond Morehouse
United States
Redlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Starting skill for Hexer. Requires a surge to place a hex token on a monster. Its not a condition, so does the attack have to do damage for the skill to work?

I see it going both ways... Starting a new campaign tomorrow and thinking about running a Hexer, but the skill set breaks down pretty quick if your attacks have to deal damage for any tokens to get placed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a condition, so you don't need to deal damage. You don't even have to put hex token on the monster you attacked(you can put it on any monster within 3 spaces of target). You are not dealing damage to that monster as well, so it's impossible for damage to be needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
However, the attack does need to not be a miss. So if you roll an X or miss due to lack of Range, or don't spend a Surge on Shadow when you would have to, you can't use Enfeebling Hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ant
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
However, the attack does need to not be a miss. So if you roll an X or miss due to lack of Range, or don't spend a Surge on Shadow when you would have to, you can't use Enfeebling Hex.

Darren, do you have any further rulebook support for this answer?

I do agree with you but in a recent session, our Hexer got into a shouting match with the OL over this one. The Hexer claimed that he only needed to name a target and could then put hexes on nearby lieutenant/boss, as long as he had a surge to spend, and line of sight.

OL said, what if the range was 12 squares? Don't you have to hit? The hexer said "no, I don't have to hit, even though it sounds ridiculous."

In the game, the hexer actually rolled sufficient range, but this skill does seem way OP -- our hexer for example is routinely able to put at least 4 to 6 hexes on a single target in a single turn. Is he doing this correctly?

Normally I don't like to intervene in these rules-lawyer shouting matches but I am sitting at the same table, so . . . yuk

EDIT: BTW, hexer is Widow Tarha, which the player admits is an OP combo, hexer + widow = devastation, so maybe that's how he does it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Wionzek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check Range is a step before Spend Surges, and if you fail the Check Range step you never get to Spend Surges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As mentioned above he needs to roll range first, only then he can spend surges for anything else.

Quote:
In the game, the hexer actually rolled sufficient range, but this skill does seem way OP -- our hexer for example is routinely able to put at least 4 to 6 hexes on a single target in a single turn. Is he doing this correctly?

It depends how he puts those 6 hexes on the target.

Enfeebling hex requires a surge and puts 1 hex. With Internal Rot you put 2 hex tokens each time.

Viral Hex costs 1 fatigue and exhausting card. It lets you put 3 hex tokens on any monster within 3 spaces of you.

You have only 2 attacks and can use surge ability from Enfeebling hex only once per attack. Even if attack targets 2 units or is a blast the hexing happens only once per attack. That means that:

1) With Enfeebling Hex you get max 2 hexes per turn
2) With Enfeebling Hex and Internal Rot you get max 4 hexes per turn
3) With Enfeebling Hex, Internal Rot and Viral Hex you can go up to 7.

So if he has all 3 cards, hits twice and exhaust his viral hex by paying 1 stamina he should be getting 7 easily. But never more than 7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ant
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
thanks for the quick answers, guys.

I guess that explains why the Hexer comes with such a huge supply of tokens. He might need all of them!

I do pity the poor OL though, because his lieutenants and other large monsters are nothing but fodder for the hexer. Not only that but our Hexer also grabbed the Act I super-armor (forget the name) that makes him almost impossible to hit, let alone KO. Glad I'm not OL in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon-Carlo Canezo
msg tools
Gotta love Rune Plate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.