Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thaddeus Moore
United States
Winchester
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first photos of tiles for "Dungeon Sagas: Dwarf King's Quest" are up: http://www.beastsofwar.com/dungeon-sagas/exclusive-dwarf-kin...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crusher Crancko
Spain
Boadilla del Monte
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wooooow!!!!

This year I invested already in 5 dungeon Crawlers and still to get the first one to play it.

This will be the 6th!... Yeah!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamu
Mexico
Toluca
Estado de México
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They look awesome. And yet, I still want to get some official rules to create scenarios using not the tiles included with the game, but anything we want that has a grid (Mage Knight Dungeons 3D tiles, Hirst Arts, Dwarven Forge, Battle Systems and even tiles from other games).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Agapow
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Nice lookin'. Hope they're sturdier than the ones in the original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sculpts of the four heroes on the Mantic forums:
http://forum.manticblog.com/showthread.php?8498-Dwarf-King%C...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
What??? No dwarf?

Outrageous!
Still looks pretty good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dwarf!

More pics: http://forum.manticblog.com/showthread.php?8233-DKH-News-and...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:

Can't be dwarf! Doesn't have an axe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cuthailion wrote:
Can't be dwarf! Doesn't have an axe.

'S got a hammer! That's close enough! Also has a lantern. Apparently dwarves can't see in the dark?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus Moore
United States
Winchester
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cuthailion wrote:
What??? No dwarf?

Outrageous!
Still looks pretty good.

If you look on the cover art you can clearly see 6 heroes (ok the female halfling thief is sort of hard to see.

Human male Basilian Paladin
Human male Barbarian
Human male Wizard
Elf female Archer
Halfling female thief
Dwarf male engineer (this is what the dwarf was being called at Mantic Open Day 2014

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As an alternate to DS tiles, there's always these ...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1621774283/battle-syste...

There's also this tidbit:
-----
We met with Mantic about DKQ over a year ago and so you will be able to use this with the game as far as scale is concerned. Obviously it will be a crawler and our terrain is a complete dungeon set up, but only a few tweaks will be needed to make them compatible. All in all they should compliment each other nicely and the game looks excellent as do the minis :o)
-----
Since they are both UK companies there shouldn't be too many problems with them working collaboratively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Drool!

Unfortunately, outside of the UK, the "sweet spot" pledge, with the stretch goals, is about $150. If you don't mind cardboard, you can get four Terraclips sets for the price -- without the wait. I don't know how much surface area $150 gets you, though.

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/ssearch?q=terraclips

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, outside the US, shipping prices are a tad hurtful so might as well get it shipped from the UK. I don't yet know what they will offer for the Fantasy range but you are probably correct in that it will be "about the same" so probably $150 or so. Plus add-ons! That stuff is HEAVY! It's like shipping a very large dictionary. With luck they might be able to find a way to make North American shipping easier this time around, maybe?

Oh well. I'll check it out when it comes and decide for myself then.

But UNTIL then, I'm STILL setting my clock for 5:20a on August 4th!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Agapow
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Sam and Max wrote:
Drool! :D

Unfortunately, outside of the UK, the "sweet spot" pledge, with the stretch goals, is about $150. If you don't mind cardboard, you can get four Terraclips sets for the price -- without the wait. I don't know how much surface area $150 gets you, though.

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/ssearch?q=terraclips

If it's 4 sets of Terraclips terrain, it covers quite a lot. However, there'll be fewer corridors and more larger rooms and open squares. Still, might be a nice substitution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mbmb
Back on topic...

I really hope they go with a much more substantial tile thickness than the previous DKH games. It's sounding like that will be the case, but also I'm hoping the tiles will have more of an impressive feel to them. DKH tiles were perfectly cut (i.e., exactly square, didn't look very "dungeon-y"), had no walls/borders, and always felt so cramped and small. The prototype models have 25mm bases, which means they won't fit too well - the tile squares appear to be the same size, so any figures that have anything outside of the 25mm "cube" of space will bump figures out of the way - you can't adjust 'em to fit with no wiggle room. I can't think of another dungeon crawler that requires such precision in placing your dudes (not Descent, Level 7 OP, Shadows of Brimstone [from what we've seen in photos], Warhammer Quest...) OK, from the photos (never played), it does look like Heroquest may have had a cramped board...

Just as an example, imagine trying to set up this board if all of the figures had a base that completely filled the squares:

So in case Mantic is perusing these forums: seriously consider making the figure bases 20mm. This matches the bases for nearly all the Kings of War figures (except I believe the orcs, with their 25mm bases), this makes them fit the board better, and will ultimately help gameplay (rather than forcing players to struggle with fitting monsters / heroes in melee with each other).

Anyone else feel the same, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattprice wrote:
Anyone else feel the same, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

In another forum (I think) I was trying (unsuccessfully) to make the case that it would be better to have larger SQUARES. 1/5" ideally. I *know* that this isn't the standard everywhere else, but maybe it SHOULD be? Larger squares means more art to enjoy, more room for people like me with fat sausage fingers, and the option for larger SUPER EPICALLY HEROIC scale figs. The other option of making the bases SMALLER, so that the figs either tip over all the time (when bumped with aforementioned fat sausage fingers) or are made smaller (HORRORS!) to better fit on the 20mm base, just doesn't appeal to me. But this is a tree that I think I definitely am barking up the wrong one of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mbmb
I'm not with you on the bigger squares, and the thought of going with a throwaway scale that no one else uses just makes me shiver.... I have thousands of ~30mm figs. To suddenly get bigger ones (curse you Myth!!) would be a disaster of unmitigated proportions!

But the 20mm bases with the mantic figs work really well. They're so-called true scale, meaning they're not overly bulky. And being plastic means they're lighter, so they don't tip easily.

I really do Hope they look very carefully at how functional the minis are... Quality and playability are important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.