Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I call green!
mbmbmbmbmb
That doesn't bother me in the slightest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Fuerst-Brunner
Germany
Neuching
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure, if they've put the 8 meeples (6 camels and two turn markers) into the game box, the complaint would arise just the same!

"How could they be so dumb and charge people for gaming pieces one only need in 2p-games?!"

The game is quite expensive as is, with 8 meeples more it surely wouldn't cost less!

edit: grammar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary T.
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate when games do this, but at least one of the 2-player colors is blue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

It bothers me, but about enough to write this note and then get on with my life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Schmidt
United States
Harrogate
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If this is a cost cutting measure it can't be saving them enough. My wife hates pink and it's pretty sexist to assume all the married 2 player gaming couples want to play with blue and pink pieces. I'm actually almost as disappointed there are even pink pieces as they are cutting costs and charging same price as usual.

I still can't believe the dick shaped turn order markers are in the game. This is where the costs should have been cut.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
I think this is hardly uncommon* and not at all objectionable.

* - but I can't readily think of other games that do this. I know they exist though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
St0ckpile wrote:
If this is a cost cutting measure it can't be saving them enough. My wife hates pink and it's pretty sexist to assume all the married 2 player gaming couples want to play with blue and pink pieces. I'm actually almost as disappointed there are pink pieces as they are cutting costs and charging same price as usual.

I'm unsure a gender analysis of the issue is warranted.

Its just a meeple color. If 5 guys are playing it, the one playing pink isn't less manly.

Edit: On reviewing the images, the camel colors need to be distinct from the meeple colors. I don't think a gender based reading applies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Schmidt
United States
Harrogate
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only if he doesn't mind. You can be a man and like pink of course. If he ends up with the pink pieces nobody including him wanted he is certainly isn't the the alpha dog.

Why not make one of the worker colors pink?

I assure you the pink and blue 2 player color was someones "bright" idea and not just happenstance. They even reused blue to make it happen. The second lighter blue to match the pink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyberian wrote:
I'm sure, if they've put the 8 meeples (6 camels and two turn markers) into the game box, the complaint would arise just the same!

"How could they be so dumb and charge people for gaming pieces one only need in 2p-games?!"

No, no-one would complain. Because, you know, including full sets in every player color is what nearly every other game does.

I don't like it when I'm not allowed to choose my color of preference, but I could understand if the components were very expensive or the difference in numbers was very high. But a couple of meeples, seriously?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
St0ckpile wrote:
Only if he doesn't mind. You can be a man and like pink of course. If he ends up with the pink pieces nobody including him wanted he is certainly isn't the the alpha dog.

Why not make one of the worker colors pink?

I assure you the pink and blue 2 player color was someones "bright" idea and not just happenstance. They even reused blue to make it happen. The second lighter blue to match the pink.

Ah, but that is a gender issue with the player - not the game.

Besides its consistent - light blue, and light red.ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Schmidt
United States
Harrogate
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My issue isn't with the beta ending up with pink camels. In my house no one would play with the pink pieces. It's the blatant stereotyping of gamer couples or family gamers mom wants pink or sister wants pink attitude. When some families have no daughters and mom hates pink. The game becomes who wants to be pink and when no one takes it another game gets played or bought instead or pieces have to be painted. I can think of no other color that would create this issue. Then they make matters worse by making this color necessary to be played in 2/3 possible player counts. Offering gamers less for the same price is a bad trend as well. Say goodbuy to multiple player aids.

They could have made the assassins purple and the player camels red. Ot the Vizier's purple and the player camels yellow (though this and the orange camels could be easy to confuse.)

I'll be painting mine neon green.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:

* - but I can't readily think of other games that do this. I know they exist though.

A geeklist of these, although clearly not aggressively maintained, is at: Games where your choice of colour is limited by the number of players..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
St0ckpile wrote:
My issue isn't with the beta ending up with pink camels. In my house no one would play with the pink pieces. It's the blatant stereotyping of gamer couples or family gamers mom wants pink or sister wants pink attitude. When some families have no daughters and mom hates pink. The game becomes who wants to be pink and when no one takes it another game gets played or bought instead or pieces have to be painted. I can think of no other color that would create this issue. Then they make matters worse by making this color necessary to be played in both the min and max player counts. Offering gamers less for the same price is a bad trend as well. Say goodbuy to multiple player aids.

They could have made the assassins purple and the player camels red. Ot the Vizier's purple and the player camels yellow (though this and the orange camels could be easy to confuse.)

So, why doe the ladies get to fight over pink? Why don't you just take pink? How can any reasonable set of people hate a color so very much that it inspires arts and crafts projects, or a trip to the game store to avoid it?

I'd say 10% of the idea behind this thread is a reasonable idea, and good advice for companies to think about when planning their products. The other 90% is the invulnerability of the "I AM AT THE CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE; MY WHIMS MUST BE HONORED BY ALL" that is starting to describe Western culture in this decade.

I'd rank selecting colors for color blind friendliness way above inflaming the latent sexism of some players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Schmidt
United States
Harrogate
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So how many bogus complaints of missing camels and the associated customer service and shipping costs completely wipe out any savings on 6 camels per box? Anyone know what a camel costs DOW?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
dkeisen wrote:
apotheos wrote:

A geeklist of these, although clearly not aggressively maintained, is at: Games where your choice of colour is limited by the number of players..

Ah, yes! Metro and On the Underground are the two popular games in my family I was straining to think of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
St0ckpile wrote:
So how many bogus complaints of missing camels and the associated customer service and shipping costs completely wipe out any savings on 6 camels per box? Anyone know what a camel costs DOW?

The number of people that are going to care about this with enough passion to throw integrity out the window and lie about it is vanishingly small.

Is a camel omitted a best practice to reduce the cost of the game, or is it miserly penny pinching? Who can say? How can we know?

DoW, you're usually pretty cool about value for money. In my opinion you've got the benefit of the doubt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vivienne Raper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok. I always play yellow to avoid being the 'red' female player in two-player games. After complaints, my husband is now 'green', not blue, as his grandparents were Irish.

My desire not to be the 'pink/red' player is a running joke...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
veemonroe wrote:
My desire not to be the 'pink/red' player is a running joke...

... says the woman with the pink rabbit avatar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mills
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not being able to play your preferred colour at every player count is an annoyance, sure. But if a certain colour threatens your gender identity, or if you have 'alphas' and 'betas' in you game group, you don't need a game - you need help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is probably the most disappointing thread I've read on this site in a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brenton t vallade
United States
wyandotte
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never really put much thought into this until I read this thread. I have a preferred color to play but if I cant play that color it never really bothered me all that much. I have thought about it a minute and why don't we have custom pieces for ourselves ? I am now considering ordering myself a set of cool pieces from meeple source and keep them separate and use them whenever I play a game.

ex Pandemic, I am the Scientist and on the board I am the three legged alien meeple.

Serious Chess players own their own pieces why shouldn't we?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
chally wrote:
This is probably the most disappointing thread I've read on this site in a while.

Then you haven't been to the netrunner forums lately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a strange choice to try and save money on the production.

8 pieces per game can't possibly lower the price enough, that it makes fiscal sense to cause player confusion, and potentially increasing customer service inquiries to explain said choice. Especially considering the pieces, are not custom, already exist and would require no additional overhead in packing the boxes.

Personally, I think it's a silly choice either way. But, I will still buy the game, most likely.

I'm not too super concerned about it.

I've often considered buying replacement green pieces when a game doesn't come with that choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David P
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chally wrote:

I'm astounded, personally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.