12 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: What is the order the expanisons came out? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hiram Witkop
msg tools
Hello all,

I just started playing this game. I have the core set and i want to start buying the expanision. I want to by the expansion in the order that they came out and i was wondering what is the order they came out in. I want to know, adventure packs, large expanisons, Hobbit exspansions, print on demand, nightmare expanision and anything else i am misssing. I cant find this info anywhere on the web.

Thanks,
hyramdubya

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erv Walter
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
ervwalter is my new bgg account
mbmbmbmbmb
Here you go: http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/104596/list-adventure-pack...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
That's not a complete answer. I don't know exactly how much information OP is after, but this question has occurred to me before as well, and what I'd like to know if I was OP would be, say, whether Over Hill And Under Hill was released before Heirs of Numenor or after, and such. A complete release timeline without grouping products together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
TheNameWasTaken wrote:
That's not a complete answer. I don't know exactly how much information OP is after, but this question has occurred to me before as well, and what I'd like to know if I was OP would be, say, whether Over Hill And Under Hill was released before Heirs of Numenor or after, and such. A complete release timeline without grouping products together.

Honestly you could ignore the Saga expansions in terms of order. I would go through the standard releases and visit the Sagas last instead of trying to figure out when they were released. Heck, they haven't even released the second Trilogy one, so that's more incentive to play through the normal releases first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This file needs an update, but it is good start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The boxes have their printing date in the white box on the bottom right of the back. That might help.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew D
msg tools
mbmb
Thanee wrote:
The boxes have their printing date in the white box on the bottom right of the back. That might help.

Bye
Thanee

that doesn't help - that date gets updated with each re-printing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
TheNameWasTaken wrote:

I understand partially the need for this. But the Saga expansions are almost their own line and the timing of them doesn't really matter a whole lot (beyond just comparing years). From what I recall, Numenor was out before the two Hobbit sagas, I thought, but they were pretty close in release.

The expansion that leads into a cycle is obviously released before that cycle and the cycle itself goes in order. No new cycle comes out until the previous one is complete. And this is reflected on the main page here at BGG.

The question really is only the Sagas when they "jump in" to the current cycle or ir you are really concerned about the POD expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to know just the order expansions were initially released, and not the actual release date of the products, the game page "More Information" section pretty much lists the products in order.

If you are concerned about picking up the expansions in order, there is a certain order to the regular expansions, but there is no requirement to play each and every expansion in order. And then there are other expansions that fall outside the regular expansion releases and can be played at any time with only the core set.

There are 5 different types of "expansions":

Deluxe expansions : Come in a big square box (not as big as the core set box). They contain the basic encounter cards that start a new cycle of Adventure Packs. Each deluxe box only requires the Core Set, but each successive deluxe expansion tends to increase in difficulty.

Adventure Packs : There are 6 APs in each "cycle" of the regular expansion releases that makes up a theme. They very loosely follow a story but you don't have to play them in order nor do you have to play all of them. Each cycle of APs follows and requires the specific *Deluxe expansion*, except for the first AP cycle which only requires the core set. Each AP has its own scenario and encounter deck and 10 unique player cards and a hero card.

Saga expansions : These fall outside the regular expansion path and can be played at any time. While the regular LotR thematic stories are outside the books, Sagas follow the books' storylines. If you prefer that, it's often recommended to jump right into the Hobbit sagas as one of the first expansions you play.

Nightmare decks : These are additional extra tough encounter cards to make existing encounters even tougher if you find the regular encounters are not hard enough. Get these only after you've already played the scenarios and want more of a challenge.

Print-on-Demand : These are special single encounters that were originally distributed during Gen-Con and are then later released for purchase. You can play these any time, but these generally tend to be pretty tough but pretty good too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck reaume
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
here's a guide that was invaluable to me:
http://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/09/13/new-player...

im not exactly sure if this is listed in the order that they were released but my guess would be that it is. regardless, it gives an excellent review of each expansion and their corresponding adventure packs (cards, difficulty, fun factor, etc) - saga, nightmare and print-on-demand included. doesn't look like it has the latest AP in the Ring Maker cycle but other than that, it's complete.

i highly recommend reading this over before buying beyond the core set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I believe, based on the release date news articles, that the first Hobbit expansion came after the Darrowdelf cycle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adventurous Moose

LOUISVILLE
KY - Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmb
I believe this is the correct order but I could very easily have made mistakes.

For clarification:
Bold/Underline = Core Set / Deluxe Expansions
Bold = Saga Expansions
Underline = Print on Demand GenCon / Nightmare

April 2011 - Core set
Juily 2011 - The Hunt for Gollum
August 2011 - The Massing at Osgiliath (GenCon 2011)
August 2011 - Conflict at the Carrock
September - 2011 A Journey To Rhosgobel
September - 2011 The Hills of Emyn Muil
November - 2011 The Dead Marshes
November - 2011 Return to Mirkwood

January 2012 - Khazad-dum
March 2012 - The Redhorn Gate
March 2012 - Road to Rivendell
April 2012 - Watcher in the Water
May 2012 - The Long Dark
June 2012 - Foundations of Stone
August 2012 - Shadow and Flame
August 2012 – The Battle of Lake-town (GenCon 2012)
August 2012 The Hobbit: Over hill and Under Hill -Saga

November 2012 Heirs of Numenor
January 2013 – Core Set – Nightmare (S1)
February 2013 - The Hobbit: On the Doorstep - Saga
May 2013 - The Steward’s Fear
May 2013 - The Druadan Forest
July 2013 - Encounter at Amon Din
August 2013 – Assault on Osgiliath
August 2013 – The Stone of Erech (GenCon 2013)
August 2013 – Shadows of Mirkwood – Nightmare Pt 1 – THfG, CatC, AJtR (S2)
September 2013 - The Black Riders - Saga
October 2013 - The Blood of Gondor
November 2013 - The Morgul Vale
December 2013 - Shadows of Mirkwood – Nightmare Pt 2 – ThoEM, TDM, RtM (S3)

February 2014 – The Voice of Isengard
February 2014 – Over Hill and Under Hill – Nightmare (S1)
June 2014 – Khazad-dum – Nightmare
June 2014 – Dunland Trap
July 2014 - The Three Trials
August 2014 – The Old Forest (GenCon 2014)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.