Tom Kassel
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Select any spaces where the executing
Faction has at least 1 Underground Guerrilla or, for NVA Terror, NVA
Troop cube;

Does this mean that for NVA a troop cube is an alternative to a guerrilla or are only troop cubes used for NVA terror?

PROCEDURE: Activate 1 friendly Underground Guerrilla in each
selected space (if any there).

If NVA has a troop cube and an underground guerrilla present, is the guerrilla still activated even though the troop was sufficient (or necessary) to perform the terror?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Kassel wrote:
Select any spaces where the executing
Faction has at least 1 Underground Guerrilla or, for NVA Terror, NVA
Troop cube;

Does this mean that for NVA a troop cube is an alternative to a guerrilla or are only troop cubes used for NVA terror?

The VC only use an Underground Guerrilla (they don't have Troops), while the NVA can use a Troop cube as an alternate when no Underground Guerrillas are present.

(The rule is worded correctly - if the NVA had to use a Troop cube, it would have read "VC Underground Guerrilla, NVA Troop cube", but that's not the case.)

Tom Kassel wrote:
PROCEDURE: Activate 1 friendly Underground Guerrilla in each selected space (if any there).

If NVA has a troop cube and an underground guerrilla present, is the guerrilla still activated even though the troop was sufficient (or necessary) to perform the terror?

They must activate the Underground Guerrilla.

(Again, the rule is worded correctly via the "if any there" phrase - if an Underground Guerrilla is there, you must activate it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Powers
United States
Triangle
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont think the NVA has to activate a guerrilla if they want to do terror with a cube.

I agree that is how the rule is worded, but I dont think it is the intention.

If the conventional troops are terrorizing, why would they need to expose their guerrillas.

I will be interested to see Volko and/or Mark's response...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm neither Volko nor Mark, just one of the developers (and one of the people who convinced V&M to add the Troop Terror trick to the NVA Ops menu), but here goes anyway...

bpowers wrote:
I dont think the NVA has to activate a guerrilla if they want to do terror with a cube.

I agree that is how the rule is worded, but I dont think it is the intention.

It is very much the intention, yes. Steve is entirely correct.

Quote:
If the conventional troops are terrorizing, why would they need to expose their guerrillas.

You have it backwards: the conventional NVA Troops only do terror when there are no Underground Guerrillas present to handle the job.

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Powers
United States
Triangle
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M B
France
FONSORBES
Haute-Garonne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
PROCEDURE: Activate 1 friendly Underground Guerrilla in each selected space (if any there).

1- Just to be sure of the meaning of friendly here : do both NVA and VC can activate their own Guerrillas as well as his ally Guerrillas ?

2- As a consequence, if both NVA and VC Guerrillas are there, does NVA or VC could choose to Activate one ally Guerrilla instead of one of his own ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vez A
Germany
Kiel
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Mickski wrote:
Quote:

1- Just to be sure of the meaning of friendly here : do both NVA and VC can activate their own Guerrillas as well as his ally Guerrillas ?

2- As a consequence, if both NVA and VC Guerrillas are there, does NVA or VC could choose to Activate one ally Guerrilla instead of one of his own ?

No, it's each faction activating its own guerrillas only. Looks like the word "friendly" works here as a catch-all for insurgent guerrillas as here the rules explain how the Terror op works for both factions at the same time. Hence, also for Rally it says these ops "augment friendly forces" without this meaning a VC Rally may place NVA pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
masil wrote:
Mickski wrote:
Quote:

No, it's each faction activating its own guerrillas only. Looks like the word "friendly" works here as a catch-all for insurgent guerrillas as here the rules explain how the Terror op works for both factions at the same time. Hence, also for Rally it says these ops "augment friendly forces" without this meaning a VC Rally may place NVA pieces.

Interesting, I'd not noticed that before. Reading the rules literally, it does indeed say
Quote:

and of course 1.5.1 makes clear that NVA and VC are friendly to each other, so logically/literally Terror clearly lets NVA activate VC guerrilas and lets VC activate NVA guerrilas.

Assuming that the rules (pretty obviously, right?) don't really intend this, this misleading wording could have easily been avoided, e.g.:
Quote:
PROCEDURE: Activate 1 of the executing faction's Underground Guerrilla in each selected space (if any there).

Something for errata / living rules correction?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vez A
Germany
Kiel
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
The phrase "executing faction's X" is used in the rules otherwise so it's curious that it's not used here.

My guess is that the passages explaining Terror were pretty much cut & pasted from the rules of Cuba Libre. Only, in Cuba Libre only friendly guerrillas are each faction's own guerrillas.

Edit: sorry if that sounds disrespectful. I don't intend that at all. It is only natural to use the existing tried and tested COIN game rule books as the source. Only in this case it created a minor problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M B
France
FONSORBES
Haute-Garonne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well. So, who gets the right answer ?

What do both masil and russ say makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, it's an error in the Rules, probably a vestige of Terror rules from an earlier volume. The Faction Foldout boxes for Terror are correct: NVA and VC may not Activate each other's Guerrillas for Terror, only their own. I'll add it to errata. Thanks! Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.