Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andre F
United Kingdom
Warrington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

I go to a local board game night. I've been asked to run a game of Attack Wing and I've got five people interested but none of them have played the game before. As I have the main pack along with the Defiant, original Enterprise and Reliant do you think it could work as a casual game for six players if we play with the simple rules without crews?

Alternatively would you recommend any other set-ups for 6 players (i.e. 3vs3) or abandon the idea completely and keep it to a maximum of four? Don't get me wrong I know the regular game is listed as up to four I just hate turning people away.

Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stomm wrote:
Hi everyone,

I go to a local board game night. I've been asked to run a game of Attack Wing and I've got five people interested but none of them have played the game before. As I have the main pack along with the Defiant, original Enterprise and Reliant do you think it could work as a casual game for six players if we play with the simple rules without crews?

Alternatively would you recommend any other set-ups for 6 players (i.e. 3vs3) or abandon the idea completely and keep it to a maximum of four? Don't get me wrong I know the regular game is listed as up to four I just hate turning people away.

Thanks in advance

You'll only need to teach the four phases (planning, activation, combat, and end phase), and teaching them all at the same time might be fun.

Have you ever seen a bi-plane race? They set up two towers several hundred yards from one another and race around the towers a number of times like an aerial Indy 500.

I would use a single map - ships with 0 SP captains, then have them race once or twice around two objective tokens then grab a mission token off a planet after which they are allowed to fire upon other ships.

It would be simple enough that you could explain it in a single breath, and you'd be teaching them the basics of the game.

After that, you could run 3 on 3 scenarios with two maps.

It's a suggestion. I have no more wisdom in this than you do - but I think six players could race on the same map - they'd be bumping, and what not - thinking about where they should move to avoid the crowd, dealing with red maneuvers and green maneuvers, then eventually with scenario actions like dropping shields to beam up a mission token, then combat.

DANVAN

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin McCleary
United States
Huachuca City
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I taught the game to my group of 6 and it worked just fine. I served as rules guy and ref. I walked them thru the ship cards and sequence of play and off we went. We didn't use crew cards 1st pass.

I also find it helpful to have extra copies of the rules to let them follow along or look stuff up. The sequence of play on the back of the rules is especially helpful.

1st game we did against the Scimitar. 2nd game was a free for all. It was a hoot, everyone had a good time and wanted to play again.

I would just go for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
With the Maht-H'a, Ent-D, Khazara, Reliant, TOS Ent, and Defiant, you have some mixed power levels on idividual ships. A cloaked Maht-h'a will tear apart the reliant and enterprise and probably wreck the defiant fast.

Give each player the cards from the ship they are using. Make each player build a 40sp ship. Pair up each of the big ships from the starter with one of your expansions. Run a sort of round robin.

I'd do the pairings:
Maht-H'a/Reliant
Khazara/Defiant
Enterprise-D/Enterprise

Reliant balances the maht-h'a's high attack. Defiant and Khazara are the jack of all trades ships. Ent/Ent-D don't mesh maneuvering wise and are both reliable ships. Basically, each pairing won't/shouldn't excel.

As the experienced player, take the reliant. it is the hardest to make work

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre F
United Kingdom
Warrington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a great idea, I never thought of getting the other players familiar with movement first before introducing combat. I can still deal with ships colliding then and how that affects movement.

I think I can put a couple of tables together that should give me the room I need. I'll have a look through the rules about the mission tokens as well as I've only played straight combat up to now. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teri Litorco
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've totally done this effectively for other mini wargames. Games Workshop has named it the "Mega Battle".

I split my players into 2 factions, showed them how points worked, gave them equal points each (40) and made the build their own ship.

Then we deployed, and each controlled their own ship.

Wil did a similar style on Tabletop when he played X-Wing.

It's totally doable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus one on one games are fun, but they're just games. 3 on 3 BIG games are EVENTS. They are memorable. You remember them -- talk about them. I think it's a great idea.

We need some good monsters to do more cooperative battles against like the Doomsday machine or the Space Amoeba. SFB used to have a bunch of them you could put on the board with automatic, easy AI rules, and pound on while they shot at you with lots of dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It could definitely work. I've done 4-way free-for-alls to demo. The trick is to stick to 1 ship with a handful of straightforward upgrades, no more than 50 points per ship. I'd not steer clear of upgrades, but I wouldn't go whole hog or do Rube-Goldberg-esque combo interactions. Just simple stuff that gives them meaningful choices to make each turn.

3v3 puts you in an awkward place faction-wise with what you've got to work with, maybe Khan teams up with the Duros faction and the Romulans?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre F
United Kingdom
Warrington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much for all of your suggestions. If I get chance before the night I'm going to go through each of the cards so I'm ready to explain what everything does quickly.

I think 3 pairings against each other following Church14's is the way to go. The 40 point limit is a good idea too as I was a bit worried about only giving ships to fight with as it ends up just being a lot of dice rolling. At least with the cards they have some kind of variation or sense of strategy. I understand about the thematic issues of the pairings but I'll say that it's a holodeck dogfight! I'll explain the option to the players about having a 'race' around an objective first so they can get used to movement before things kick off. Maybe with two objectives so one player has to go around one and vice versa.

Are there any recommended variants for going up against the Doomsday machine (or anything else for that matter) or are they official expansions / don't exist yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.