Popular Tags: [View All]
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
My family has had a copy of Scotland Yard sitting on a shelf for years. We found it for $2 at a Barnes & Noble clearance, brought it home and promptly forgot about it.

We finally got around to playing it this week and after four plays in three days, each time with 3 detectives, we all came to the same conclusion. In fact, our ten year old Mr. X said it best when he muttered, "this seems kind of dumb. You are never going to catch me with three detectives."

A quick skim through the forum clears things up. Never play with less than four detectives. We'll give it another try. All hail the BGG forums!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Use the 1985 rules, the original English rules. Always use all 5 detectives. Unless the board and tickets are different, you need them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Use the 1985 rules, the original English rules. Always use all 5 detectives. Unless the board and tickets are different, you need them.

Thanks for the tip. We will give that a try.

Keep safe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
esirof wrote:
whac3 wrote:

Thanks for the tip. We will give that a try.

Keep safe.

Thanks!

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/4035/scotlandyardpdf

This has the rules I referred to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
A lot of experienced players believe that 5-detective play has the oppositely-lopsided problem - Mr. X is exceedingly unlikely to escape the 5-detective net unless the detectives make major mistakes.

4 is the closest to 'balanced'.

At 3, X can usually win without ever once moving to a location that he could theoretically be caught.

At 5, X will usually lose unless X takes multiple risky moves to try to slip through the net - moving into a location a detective could move to and hoping the detective opts for a different location instead.

At 4, X is thought to likely have to take *one* risky move, if the detectives play competently. If the detectives make mistakes, X may never have to take a risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
A lot of experienced players believe that 5-detective play has the oppositely-lopsided problem - Mr. X is exceedingly unlikely to escape the 5-detective net unless the detectives make major mistakes.

4 is the closest to 'balanced'.

At 3, X can usually win without ever once moving to a location that he could theoretically be caught.

At 5, X will usually lose unless X takes multiple risky moves to try to slip through the net - moving into a location a detective could move to and hoping the detective opts for a different location instead.

At 4, X is thought to likely have to take *one* risky move, if the detectives play competently. If the detectives make mistakes, X may never have to take a risk.

Well, with respect, this experienced player of some roughly 30 years (give or take) thinks those people just wrong and obviously haven't played enough. Without 5 detectives there are areas of the board where Mr. X simply cannot be hemmed in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I think 5 detectives is the balance point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Papenfuss
United States
Star
Idaho
flag msg tools
"Your results are back: it's negative"......um, is that a bad thing?
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:

Mine is the 80's version. It states to use 5 detectives (divided amongst the other players) and I find it pretty balanced, so long as the Mr. X is experienced.

I didn't realize this game had new rules for just 3 detectives. That's nuts. No way I'd play it that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I am not even sure which rules are the 'new' ones and which are the 'original'. There were multiple 80s versions by different publishers, and many people assume the 1985 Milton Bradley edition was the 'original' because it was the first version they saw/played (particularly in North America). I know the game was originally published in 1983 by Ravensburger (and primarily, if not entirely, in Europe). Then it was mass-republished (especially into North America) in 1985 by Milton Bradley, and I know this edition had the 'always use 5 detectives' rule. And then when MB stopped publishing it Ravensburger started publishing internationally (circa early 90s), and I know this edition had the '3-4-or-5 detective' rule. What I don't know is what was the *original* rule, in the original Ravensburger publishing. So many people assume the MB publishing was the original publishing and cite the MB rulebook as gospel - it wasn't the original. I'd love to see the original rulebook; I still haven't.

Oh, to see a scan of the actual contents of this (the only rulescan linked from the file section here is the MB).

In the 3-4-5 detective rules, Mr X only gets as many black tickets as there are detectives. So there is *some* counterbalance to the reduced detective force - just not enough of one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
So we replayed the game with four detectives. The game definitely felt tighter and the detectives ultimately nabbed Mr. X. In the plays with three detectives, it was fairly obvious throughout the game that the only way to catch Mr.X was for that player to goof quite badly. With four detectives, you could tell that Mr.X was at least under pressure for much of the game. I imagine that with five detectives, the Mr. X player would have to be very clever to escape.

Anyway, thank you for all the responses. We had quite a bit more fun this time around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.