Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

Kremlin» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions in Modern Game - Politicians in the People and Effects of the Cure rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate Owens
Philippines
Cainta
Rizal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, we did our first game of the Modern version. Up front I liked it a lot. I much preferred the tie-breaker method to the one in the original AH, and while I miss having Comrade Pistov in the ranks of the party, seeing Putin randomly dealt to the KGB head at the beginning made up for it.

I should also say that we assigned influence AFTER setting up the board. This is opposite to the rules, but it's how I've always played every other version.

First question: I understand that the intent of the People is to only have four guys available to move up at any given time from the unused politicians. Now let's say a couple more guys come back from Siberia or Exile. Do they count against that limit? Put another way, are they one of the four politicians available to become candidates? Or if I use one of the original four do I automatically bring up the next one in the deck. This last part was what we did, otherwise we never would have seen a lot of the ending politicians at all.

Second question: Let's say a guy takes the cure. Obviously he can't perform the duties of his office, or vote for Party Chief or purges. But can he be promoted, moved to different offices, and made Party Chief? I seemed to think he could (judging thematically), but he still couldn't perform any official duties. On the same note, is a politician taking the cure able to sponsor someone to come back from Siberia? Looking at the rules it seems that he's just prevented from performing official duties and voting, but nothing else.

*edit* I have one more! Is there a particular phase when someone can be brought back from Exile, or is it just done at any time? The rules seem to indicate that it happens whenever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Politicians returning from Exile or Siberia get added into the 4 People positions. I would think then no more can be added to the ranks of the people until it goes below 4 again.

There's no restrictions to promoted or demoting a Politician taking the cure. Rehabilitating is an action so I would say that a Politician in the sanatorium can't do that. The only thing you're allowed to do in there is roll for your health and decide whether or not to stay there.

Makes sense that returning from Exile is done during the rehabilitating phase. But you're right that isn't specified. So it would be proper to say it can be done whenever.

--------------

I recently played my first game with the young, historical, politicians. That's a very different game from the older satire, fictional, politicians. The young politicians make a much more stable game. You can count on your guy lasting perhaps the entire game (unlike the fictional politicians where you know your guys aren't going to last long when they are up in the politburo.) This game has the potential to be very dull if one player has both the KGB and Defense minister and does nothing during their phases. This makes them age very slowly and keeps them locked in the decision positions. Because of this I now see the logic of assigning your IPs totally random. It prevents everyone putting their high points on the initial top politicians. Which is likely to happen because once you experience a young politician game you'll notice very few if any among the People even make it up to the 2nd level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.