Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really give a shit about Israel conducting ground operations in Gaza or some airplane going down.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Odd that in the UK we saw plenty of your president talking about the Malaysian air crash.

It's almost as if he is interested more in those things which directly affect America,and gives them priority. Its also a pity he said a little ore then just it's a tragedy, such as instructing an investigation to begin, damn what kind of a presidents waits for teh facts to be in before jumping into war?

But it's nice to see no one trying to make political mileage out of this tragedy.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:
I don't really give a shit about Israel conducting ground operations in Gaza or some airplane going down.


Neither does your President. He's got burgers to eat, photos to op, fists to bump, and a vacation in Martha's Vineyard coming up so he can hang out with the .000000001%.


What do you want him to do?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Obama's actual remarks, at that point in time:

Quote:
Before I begin, obviously the world is watching reports of a downed passenger jet near the Russia-Ukraine border. And it looks like it may be a terrible tragedy. Right now we’re working to determine whether there were American citizens on board. That is our first priority.'
'And I've directed my national security team to stay in close contact with the Ukrainian governemnt. The United States will offer any assistance we can to help determine what happened and why. And as a country, our thoughts and prayers are with all the families and passengers, wherever they call home.
25 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:
I don't really give a shit about Israel conducting ground operations in Gaza or some airplane going down.


Neither does your President. He's got burgers to eat, photos to op, fists to bump, and a vacation in Martha's Vineyard coming up so he can hang out with the .000000001%.


What do you want him to do?


Signal that he has even a gnat's idea of what's going on in the world.

You mean like asking people to get facts?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:
I don't really give a shit about Israel conducting ground operations in Gaza or some airplane going down.


Neither does your President. He's got burgers to eat, photos to op, fists to bump, and a vacation in Martha's Vineyard coming up so he can hang out with the .000000001%.


What do you want him to do?


Blame it on a video so the partisans can attack him for 2 years about it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:
I don't really give a shit about Israel conducting ground operations in Gaza or some airplane going down.


Neither does your President. He's got burgers to eat, photos to op, fists to bump, and a vacation in Martha's Vineyard coming up so he can hang out with the .000000001%.


What do you want him to do?


Signal that he has even a gnat's idea of what's going on in the world.



Making a statement doesn't show that he's aware of it?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I love politics. When a Republican is in office, the Democrats find every possible way to discredit everything he says or does (or does not say or do). When a Democrat is in office, The Republicans find every possible way to discredit everything he says or does (or does not say or do).
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mirefox wrote:
Russia shot down a Korean plane while Reagan was in the White House and this was Reagan's address:

“This crime against humanity must never be forgotten,” Reagan began. He said he grieved for those who died in that attack and for the families of those they left behind. “Their deaths were the result of the Soviet Union violating every concept of human rights,” the president added. “Let me state as plainly as I can,” he continued, “there was absolutely no justification, either legal or moral, for what the Soviets did.”

The bottom line is that Obama is the leader of one of the most prominent and strongest countries in the world and is acting detached. He seems less interested in being a leader and more interested in being a celebrity. Every media outlet out there is blasting Obama's response, including the usual sycophants like Piers Morgan.

Even working with the argument that Obama required more information before speaking authoritatively on the subject, yesterday was a grave day for the international community between the plane going down and Israel commencing a ground war and the American president wanted only to hang out and be your buddy. It was not a presidential day for Obama, and showed a clear lack of leadership. He's off to Camp David today so I doubt we can expect much more from him.


Fuck other countries. How does the plane going down and Israel fighting directly affect us?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mirefox wrote:
He's off to Camp David today so I doubt we can expect much more from him.

And you would be mistaken.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mirefox wrote:
joe_salamone wrote:
I love politics. When a Republican is in office, the Democrats find every possible way to discredit everything he says or does (or does not say or do). When a Democrat is in office, The Republicans find every possible way to discredit everything he says or does (or does not say or do).


The Democrats are attacking Obama on this issue, too. By all accounts left and right he dropped the ball on his response. This isn't really a political, it is a matter of how our leader reacts to worldwide crises, and his reaction showed that he was more interested in kicking off his vacation with some fun. Much like when he was called out for chewing gum through the D-Day ceremony, President Obama does not always give the impression that he cares enough to give a serious matter the attention and solemnity that it deserves.


Yes, party lines always get crossed by at least a few people. If you do enough research, you will find plenty of dumb things that every president has said. Things just have a greater and more immediate impact these days because of social media and other technology that sends information around the world instantaneously and in great volumes.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mirefox wrote:
Russia shot down a Korean plane while Reagan was in the White House and this was Reagan's address:

“This crime against humanity must never be forgotten,” Reagan began. He said he grieved for those who died in that attack and for the families of those they left behind. “Their deaths were the result of the Soviet Union violating every concept of human rights,” the president added. “Let me state as plainly as I can,” he continued, “there was absolutely no justification, either legal or moral, for what the Soviets did.”

The bottom line is that Obama is the leader of one of the most prominent and strongest countries in the world and is acting detached. He seems less interested in being a leader and more interested in being a celebrity. Every media outlet out there is blasting Obama's response, including the usual sycophants like Piers Morgan.

Even working with the argument that Obama required more information before speaking authoritatively on the subject, yesterday was a grave day for the international community between the plane going down and Israel commencing a ground war and the American president wanted only to hang out and be your buddy. It was not a presidential day for Obama, and showed a clear lack of leadership. He's off to Camp David today so I doubt we can expect much more from him.
1. Regan did no more then Obama then, talking about it.
2. We do not know it was shot down by Russia (or even if it was shot down yet), it is more then likely (but not definite) it was shot down by militia loyal to Russia, but over which Russia has no direct control.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:

Fuck other countries. How does the plane going down and Israel fighting directly affect us?


Ouch.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
Mirefox wrote:
He's off to Camp David today so I doubt we can expect much more from him.

And you would be mistaken.

I seem to recall some things happening at Camp David.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mirefox wrote:
Russia shot down a Korean plane while Reagan was in the White House and this was Reagan's address:

Reagan said that three days after the downing of the plane. Hmmm....
16 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mirefox wrote:
joe_salamone wrote:
I love politics. When a Republican is in office, the Democrats find every possible way to discredit everything he says or does (or does not say or do). When a Democrat is in office, The Republicans find every possible way to discredit everything he says or does (or does not say or do).


The Democrats are attacking Obama on this issue, too. By all accounts left and right he dropped the ball on his response. This isn't really a political, it is a matter of how our leader reacts to worldwide crises, and his reaction showed that he was more interested in kicking off his vacation with some fun. Much like when he was called out for chewing gum through the D-Day ceremony, President Obama does not always give the impression that he cares enough to give a serious matter the attention and solemnity that it deserves.
Odd how when the USA shots down airliners it's an accident.

The shooting down of this airliner is a tragedy, it should not be a world crisis. Maybe if the USA had imposed a no fly zone to prevent government air attacks against rebel forces the rebels would not be shooting down aircraft. So are we now going to have a no fly zone?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
jmilum wrote:
Mirefox wrote:
He's off to Camp David today so I doubt we can expect much more from him.

And you would be mistaken.

I seem to recall some things happening at Camp David.

True, and more to the point Obama is making an adress on the issue in about 5 min. He doesn't leave for Camp David until this evening.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Mirefox wrote:
joe_salamone wrote:
I love politics. When a Republican is in office, the Democrats find every possible way to discredit everything he says or does (or does not say or do). When a Democrat is in office, The Republicans find every possible way to discredit everything he says or does (or does not say or do).


The Democrats are attacking Obama on this issue, too. By all accounts left and right he dropped the ball on his response. This isn't really a political, it is a matter of how our leader reacts to worldwide crises, and his reaction showed that he was more interested in kicking off his vacation with some fun. Much like when he was called out for chewing gum through the D-Day ceremony, President Obama does not always give the impression that he cares enough to give a serious matter the attention and solemnity that it deserves.
Odd how when the USA shots down airliners it's an accident.

The shooting down of this airliner is a tragedy, it should not be a world crisis. Maybe if the USA had imposed a no fly zone to prevent government air attacks against rebel forces the rebels would not be shooting down aircraft. So are we now going to have a no fly zone?

We gave a medal to the guy in charge of shooting down an Iranian passenger jet...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
Mirefox wrote:
Russia shot down a Korean plane while Reagan was in the White House and this was Reagan's address:

“This crime against humanity must never be forgotten,” Reagan began. He said he grieved for those who died in that attack and for the families of those they left behind. “Their deaths were the result of the Soviet Union violating every concept of human rights,” the president added. “Let me state as plainly as I can,” he continued, “there was absolutely no justification, either legal or moral, for what the Soviets did.”

The bottom line is that Obama is the leader of one of the most prominent and strongest countries in the world and is acting detached. He seems less interested in being a leader and more interested in being a celebrity. Every media outlet out there is blasting Obama's response, including the usual sycophants like Piers Morgan.

Even working with the argument that Obama required more information before speaking authoritatively on the subject, yesterday was a grave day for the international community between the plane going down and Israel commencing a ground war and the American president wanted only to hang out and be your buddy. It was not a presidential day for Obama, and showed a clear lack of leadership. He's off to Camp David today so I doubt we can expect much more from him.


Fuck other countries. How does the plane going down and Israel fighting directly affect us?
It doesn't. At all. Please go back to ignoring anything past the border of your county. Better yet, unplug from the internet. At the very least, spare us this strangely proud display of provincialism. Numnuts.
10 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Venga2 wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:
Mirefox wrote:
Russia shot down a Korean plane while Reagan was in the White House and this was Reagan's address:

“This crime against humanity must never be forgotten,” Reagan began. He said he grieved for those who died in that attack and for the families of those they left behind. “Their deaths were the result of the Soviet Union violating every concept of human rights,” the president added. “Let me state as plainly as I can,” he continued, “there was absolutely no justification, either legal or moral, for what the Soviets did.”

The bottom line is that Obama is the leader of one of the most prominent and strongest countries in the world and is acting detached. He seems less interested in being a leader and more interested in being a celebrity. Every media outlet out there is blasting Obama's response, including the usual sycophants like Piers Morgan.

Even working with the argument that Obama required more information before speaking authoritatively on the subject, yesterday was a grave day for the international community between the plane going down and Israel commencing a ground war and the American president wanted only to hang out and be your buddy. It was not a presidential day for Obama, and showed a clear lack of leadership. He's off to Camp David today so I doubt we can expect much more from him.


Fuck other countries. How does the plane going down and Israel fighting directly affect us?
It doesn't. At all. Please go back to ignoring anything past the border of your county. Better yet, unplug from the internet. At the very least, spare us this strangely proud display of provincialism. Numnuts.


Thank you. It doesn't affect us at all.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mirefox wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:
Venga2 wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:
Mirefox wrote:
Russia shot down a Korean plane while Reagan was in the White House and this was Reagan's address:

“This crime against humanity must never be forgotten,” Reagan began. He said he grieved for those who died in that attack and for the families of those they left behind. “Their deaths were the result of the Soviet Union violating every concept of human rights,” the president added. “Let me state as plainly as I can,” he continued, “there was absolutely no justification, either legal or moral, for what the Soviets did.”

The bottom line is that Obama is the leader of one of the most prominent and strongest countries in the world and is acting detached. He seems less interested in being a leader and more interested in being a celebrity. Every media outlet out there is blasting Obama's response, including the usual sycophants like Piers Morgan.

Even working with the argument that Obama required more information before speaking authoritatively on the subject, yesterday was a grave day for the international community between the plane going down and Israel commencing a ground war and the American president wanted only to hang out and be your buddy. It was not a presidential day for Obama, and showed a clear lack of leadership. He's off to Camp David today so I doubt we can expect much more from him.


Fuck other countries. How does the plane going down and Israel fighting directly affect us?
It doesn't. At all. Please go back to ignoring anything past the border of your county. Better yet, unplug from the internet. At the very least, spare us this strangely proud display of provincialism. Numnuts.


Thank you. It doesn't affect us at all.


Russia mustering on the German border didn't really affect France at all, either, did it?


Is there someone mustering on our continent? Is there a fleet headed to this side of the ocean? Is there any sign of a legitimate threat to us?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Poole
msg tools
Avatar
TLDR: People overly concerned with president's America's image, criticize president for being too concerned with president's America's image.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mirefox wrote:
Obama is not infallible and in this instance he has completely disregarded his role as a leader.

Did Reagan also since he took three days to make that statement you were so taken with?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
Mirefox wrote:
Obama is not infallible and in this instance he has completely disregarded his role as a leader.

Did Reagan also since he took three days to make that statement you were so taken with?


Obama has the Internet though, didn't he see all the totally factual tweets that we use for news and intelligence now? If Reagan had the Internet, he would have had Special Forces scouring the forests of the Ukraine 15 minutes after the plane went down and fruit baskets delivered to all the victims families in under an hour.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mirefox wrote:
jmilum wrote:
Mirefox wrote:
Obama is not infallible and in this instance he has completely disregarded his role as a leader.

Did Reagan also since he took three days to make that statement you were so taken with?



It took Reagan three days to gather and disseminate the information. But that isn't even the issue even though you want to make it the issue. Obama gave a mere acknowledgment to the situation and immediately began fundraising, then posing for photo ops at a barbecue joint. Where is the solemnity? Where is the air of concern? Obama could have stayed silent; Obama went out for fun. So what if Reagan waited a few days? He wasn't off joking and having fun while the information was disseminated. You can even forget Reagan's quote all together if you want and look at the issue in a complete vacuum - Obama did not display the leadership qualities we should hope for in our chief executive in a time of international crises.

I have no idea what Reagan was doing in the days between the incident and his address, I sincerely doubt anyone will remember or care what Obama was doing in the hours between this incident and his address in 30 years.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.