Magnum Opus» Forums » Rules

Subject: Using the Shelf and Tradeskills rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Creg Empey
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
It seems, the way I read the Shelf card and associated rules, that there is a timing issue.

The Shelf card reads, in relevant part, "If you do not use this Shelf to store a card at any point during your turn, you may instead play one additional Trade Skill card for Gold or Card-draw during your Trade Skill phase."

The rulebook states, in relevant part, "If you do not have a card on your Shelf at the beginning of your turn and you do not move one to your shelf at any point during your turn, you may use one additional Tradeskill card for either Gold Coins or Card-drawing instead."

Now maybe I'm rules lawyering too much, but the way I read this, it sets up a conditional effect that's reversed in time -- you get the effect before it can be determined if you meet the condition. (i.e., you play the tradeskill card before you know if you've used the Shelf this turn.)

There are three ways I can interpret this to make this tradeskill bonus workable:

1. If your Shelf is empty during your Tradeskill phase, you may play an additional tradeskill card. If you do, you cannot use the Shelf to store a card this turn.

2. If your Shelf has remained empty during your entire turn, you may play an extra tradeskill card at the end of your turn. (ignoring the text "during your Trade Skill phase" on the card)

3. If your shelf remains empty for an entire turn, you may play an extra tradeskill card on your NEXT turn, during your tradeskill phase.

What is the intent behind the Tradeskill bonus on the Shelf card? How have people been playing it?

Additional question: do multiple Shelves allow multiple extra tradeskills?

Edit: clarification

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
#1 was our interpretation. If you use an extra tradeskill card, you're committing to not using the shelf in that turn. I also assume that it's 1 extra tradeskill card per empty shelf you own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Griffin
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing using version #1 above and just tapping the shelf card (turning it sideways) to remind myself not to use it. Myth has another example of this sort of benefit before-the-fact that you then have to remember you agreed to. (Your action cards provide certain bonuses like greater weapon accuracy in exchange for not using all of your movement points earlier in the turn.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
queptar wrote:

Additional question: do multiple Shelves allow multiple extra tradeskills?

From another thread, though I'm not sure this directly maps to your question.
Quote:
You cannot have two cards of the exact same name on your table at the same time, ever. Powerstone is (currently) the only explicit exception to this rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.