Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Jensen
United States
Fredericksburg
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife loves Dominion, and I've thought of making a card using the blanks in the BGG store to make something commemorating (not sure what word I'm looking for) the fact she's a nurse.

So, here's a couple ideas I'd like feedback on (also noted we only own/have played base set Dominion):

Hospital (Action-Reaction)

You may trash up to two Curse cards from your hand. For each Curse trashed this way, gain +1 action.
------
When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, you are unaffected by that Attack.

Cost:5/6?

Nurse (Action-Victory)

+1 Victory Point
+1 Action
You may trash a Curse card from your hand for 1 Silver.

Cost: 4?

Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated. Thanks for reading!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Who
msg tools
mb
VP for a nurse???....come on!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Speicher
United States
Potomac Falls
VIRGINIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
both would need to cost more IMO

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The big problem with these as written is that they're useless in games without Curse-givers. Even in games with them, your tentative costs seem a bit high to me: compare Nurse to Trader, for example. (Although you have Nurse with +1 Action, which Trader doesn't have.)

In Nurse's text, "...for 1 Silver" is a bit ambiguous, and inconsistent with the wording on other cards. I'd suggest "...if you do, gain a Silver." You might consider adding "putting it in your hand" to that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cards having to do with removing Curses are generally highly specific.
and their presence discourages players from buying curse-givers, which means they won't see much use unless they also have great abilities by themselves in a game without curses.

If there are no curses in play :

- Hospital is very defensive and objectively worse than moat (moat without the +2 cards). I wouldn't price it more than 2, and would probably not buy it.

- For Nurse, I'm assuming you're talking about a card worth 1 VP, not VP tokens than can be gained (such as with Monument) since you mentioned it being a dual Action-Victory card. Nurse becomes a 1 VP, 'free' action with no use, being roughly equivalent to an estate, barring corner cases where you want to spend cards in hand. I'd also price it for 2, or maybe 1, but wouldn't buy it either.

The current version of your cards seems heavily underpowered compared to other cards, mostly because of the flawed premise that there *will* be curse cards to trash.

Either these cards should also be able to give curses in addition to trashing them (not very thematic), they should be more generic (trashing any kind of card ?), or have a lot more powerful side powers besides curse-specific ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DuckOfDeath V
United States
Hillsboro
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would change Nurse to "You may trash a card from your hand. If it was a Curse gain a Silver."

Maybe drop the vp on it, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jensen
United States
Fredericksburg
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair criticisms all. Especially with being too specific.

Nurse (Action)

+1 Action
You may trash a card from your hand. If it was a Curse gain a Silver.

I guess I just haven't played enough different cards of Dominion to see how... diverse cards can be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
madslaust wrote:
Hospital (Action-Reaction)

You may trash up to two Curse cards from your hand. For each Curse trashed this way, gain +1 action.
------
When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, you are unaffected by that Attack.

Sounds comparable to Moat in general, so probably a $2 card. The issue as others have pointed out is that specifically trashing curses isn't very good. Perhaps if you made it, say, trash up to 2 cards, for each curse trashed, +1 action it might be more interesting (and possibly better at $3)

Quote:
Nurse (Action)

+1 Action
You may trash a card from your hand. If it was a Curse gain a Silver.

(Using the most recent updated version.) Without curses, this is a non-terminal single card trasher. That's pretty comparable to Lookout, probably a little weaker in general (as you trash from your hand and don't get to sift your deck). So $3 seems appropriate. With the gaining from trashing curses, it's much stronger, gaining Silver is still not fantastic but is nice in cursing games. It still seems okay at $3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Volk
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically, I don't understand why a Nurse or Hospital would specialize in Curses.

But more importantly, I think a Nurse/Hospital card should harmonize well with this card:

Perhaps, "Reveal the top 5 cards of your deck. You may select a revealed Action card. Place the remaining cards on the top of your deck in any order and play the selected card."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don't Blink
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Give your opponent a kiss. For each kiss you give: +1VP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jensen
United States
Fredericksburg
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BaconSnake wrote:
Thematically, I don't understand why a Nurse or Hospital would specialize in Curses.

But more importantly, I think a Nurse/Hospital card should harmonize well with this card:

Perhaps, "Reveal the top 5 cards of your deck. You may select a revealed Action card. Place the remaining cards on the top of your deck in any order and play the selected card."

The idea behind curses was that nurses help get rid of bad things plaguing your deck.

I was unaware the Doctor card existed, and you're right a nurse card should complemet it. How much to cost that card at though?

"Reveal the top 5 cards of your deck. You may select a revealed Action card. Place the remaining cards on the top of your deck in any order and play the selected card."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George I.
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
madslaust wrote:
"Reveal the top 5 cards of your deck. You may select a revealed Action card. Place the remaining cards on the top of your deck in any order and play the selected card."

That would be at least $5, considering that Herald, at $4, plays the top card of your deck, if it's an action. I would even raise it to $6, same price as the Adventurer, but less than Golem, which by general consensus would cost $6.5 if there were no Potions.

5 cards would be a LOT though.

PS: there's an inconsistency. Play the action card and then what? Probably discard it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.