Subject: Bent peg on Tactical Cube rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Gunsch
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So I got my first tac-cube last night. I was showing some people how to play so I tore into it immediately, along with my Soong ship I also just picked up, so we could play a 4 ship team battle. However, when I go to put the cube on its base its sitting crooked, like a broken bobble head doll crooked. On closer immediate inspection just one of the pegs was bent, an an arc similar to an easy turn, so we played the cube on just one peg which worked out better in the long run.

Now granted, I do live in Arizona so its possible they saw heat before reaching the FLGS but I would expect more than just one peg being bad (the the Soong ship was fine). So I was wondering, has anyone else had a similar issue? Should I let Wizkids know?

P.S. Pictures coming as soon as I can get them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'd let them know. I haven't had to use them myself, but evidently their parts replacement CS people do handle claims like that with replacement stuff, albiet (again, hearing it secondhand) somewhat slowly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Knapp
United Kingdom
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this the so called "gangster" lean mentioned in the post about the diabolical refit Enterprise model?!

The image I shared there highlighting my Tactical Cube leaning on a (lamp)post:

Mine seems to be a problem with the actual mounting point of the peg on the cube itself...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my 2 Tactical Cubes had its peg off center so it had a forward lean. I corrected it simply by snapping it off the bottom of the base and shaving the difference and regluing it.

As for the "lean" I only play with them on a single peg as 2 pegs is a but too high for its center of gravity as far as I'm concerned; that and it lines up better with other ships on one peg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it is just diving down to attack something? Everyone always thinks in 2 dimensions, Khan was right
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Gwyr
United States
Lakeside
California
flag msg tools
mb
Mine is wonky as well.
With the increased retail price, it is inexcusable that someone did not catch this early in the manufacturing QC process and correct it.
It does not speak well of WK or their commitment to the consummer/playerbase.

But we know they just want to alienate us, just read all the GenCon flame threads...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While there are probably manufacturing defects as well, I've noticed that the Cube's weight often causes it to lean when you're using 2 pegs. I've not seen that when anyone has used a single peg for it. In general that seems to be better anyway since it puts it at the same level as most ships (when they are using 2).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Whiteman
United States
Middletown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yourmonkey06 wrote:
While there are probably manufacturing defects as well, I've noticed that the Cube's weight often causes it to lean when you're using 2 pegs. I've not seen that when anyone has used a single peg for it. In general that seems to be better anyway since it puts it at the same level as most ships (when they are using 2).
I have the same issue with the bigger ships in Xwing as well. Its not so much a quality control problem as an engineering issue, the posts just aren't sturdy enough for the heavier models. Only using one peg helps out quite a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In my case it is the peg set into the cube itself that is crooked - so, even if I mount it directly to the base with no pegs it has a sad listing to the left

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
They handle claims slowly and incompetently. If they ever send you a replacement, you will be in an old age retirement home by then.

You're probably better off either returning it to the store or online site if you can, OR using an engineering solution such as trying to remove the peg and reglue it straighter.

With a regular ship, you could buy the Shapeways adapters for micromachine ships, remove the broken receiver in the ship and redrill the hole in the bottom, glueing in the adapter (carefully so it is properly oriented) and then painting it black. The result would be a good looking ship that stays on the stand. But the Cube uses the new larger pegs which is potentially problematic. You might be able to find a zip tie that is large enough to fit the larger peg.

But if you buy it somewhere like Amazon, you can return it, and buy another one and have it in 2 days or buy one locally. Whiz Kids SHOULD suffer when they sell defective products by having to get it back or by having to replace it, but their process is so slow and difficult and error prone that returning it is really a better option IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gunsch
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

This is the culprit

My evidence:

Both pegs

Just bent peg

Single not bent peg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.