16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Wargame with vehicles or monsters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antonio Rossi
msg tools
Hi All,

I am an happy Warmachine/Hordes player but while I like the game, I am not too fond of the miniatures (I do like some of them, but overall I don't really care for the models).
So I'm in need of a suggestion for a new wargame to try.

I still want the game to be a nice strategic experience, so I am looking for something with well made rules, more or less balanced, and interesting to play.
Bonus points if a game lasts two hours or less.

On the visual side, I am looking for a game where armies can either be vehicle heavy or monster heavy.

So far I've been considering:

Warhammer 40k. There are quite a few nice big vehicles (although I am not sure how much a vechicle heavy army is viable). On the rules side, though, seems quite far from a balanced and strategic game. Comps could make it a more interesting game, but having little to no rule support from developers doesn't sound appealing.

Warhammer Fantasy. Kinda the same situation of 40k, with some beautiful monster replacing the vehicles. Looks like monsters in fantasy are less usable than vehicles in 40k, though.

Dust Warfare (which I guess is now called Dust Tactics Battlefield). Love their vehicles (hate most of their infantry, though). From a quick glance at the rules it looks interesting, but no one around here plays it. And even in general, doesn't look like there is a big community. Wonder if that depends on some flaw of the game.

X-Wing. This looks interesting. I like the rules and there is already a decent community. Would have loved a bit more variety (some ground vechicle) but it's ok. I am keeping an eye open for D&D: Attack Wing. If they don't manage to screw up (both in terms of rule adaptation and prices) it could be quite interesting.

Dystopian Wars. While the models are certainly not big, they look beautifully done. And having a naval, land and air force on the field at once seems great. Don't know much about the rules, though. Are they good? I am also a bit scared by the lenght of the games. Looks like you have to commit a lot of time to get a game done. The Armoured Clash spin-off looks interesting too.

So, what do you guys think of those games?

And do you have anything else to suggest?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the new Warzone reboot.

I haven't been doing much miniature gaming for a while. But, the previous editions have been some of the best miniature gaming I've had.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Rossi
msg tools
Do you mean Warzone Resurrection? Looks almost all infantry to me.
But thanks, I will take a deeper look (I kinda avoided it as I have played a few mutant chronicles games in the past, the rpg and the ccg, and didn't liked them).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barrett S
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As a Warhammer (WHFB and 40k) player with many armies and way too much $ invested. I'd avoid either unless there is a strong community in your area and you are willing to withstand the update cycle. Fantasy Battles is dying or dead in a lot of areas and 40k is on a tipping point after releasing a new edition ~2 years after the last (it is still too soon to determine if it'll end up well or not for GW and/or the players).

The cost of entry is very daunting too if you start from scratch. I wouldnt play at all if i hadn't bought in 14 years ago. cost per model is high, minimum model count higher still. Just a fair warning, the games are fun but have numerous balance issues. The local scene will greatly determine whether these issues are good things or bad things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you seen Dust Tactics?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi from Germany,

my humble recommendations:

Take a closer look at WIZARD KINGS

The game system provides a great platform for "Armies of Monsters".

OGRE and G.E.V.
(The classic SF battle systems involving masses of ground-based vehicles.)

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Rossi
msg tools
Wylann wrote:
Have you seen Dust Tactics?

Yes. I did mention Dust Warfare in my OP, which is the same game but without the grid board.

Have you played it? What do you think?

On the visual side, I love the vehicles but I hate their infantry with a passion. Is a low/no infantry army viable (doesn't have to be extra-strong, just viable)?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Rossi
msg tools
Uwe, thanks for the suggestion. I will check it out. But I was looking for something with miniatures, which doesn't seem to be the case here. Will take a look, anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Proctor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest somthing histrical.

For example Blitzkrieg Commander. There some very good 15mm plastic and metal miniature getting made for WWII and if you do not like the rules you chosen, you can use the miniatures with anther set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
WIZARD KINGs is a typical "block" game.

From printed sheet to blocks:

OGRE and G.E.V. can be played with a plethora of miniatures.

Just for an example:
http://www.sjgames.com/miniatures/ogre/deluxegev/

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BattleLore (Second Edition)?

Also, Heroes of Normandie plays like a miniatures game but uses chunky colorful counters instead
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
BattleLore (Second Edition)?

Also, Heroes of Normandie plays like a miniatures game but uses chunky colorful counters instead

Yeah I second this...BattleLore (Second Edition) is a nice self contained fun game which I hope Fantasy Flight Games will release expansions for.

I have been a longtime Warhammer 40,000 and Warhammer: The Mass Combat Fantasy Roleplaying Game (1st Edition) player (since 1998) with a sizable collection, and I've stopped playing these since 2012. I think today is not the best time to enter the rabbit holes which both of these games are, since prices now are very high and also since Games Workshop Ltd. has changed their business model to be a real money grabbing one (data slates..ughh!!!). This has led to 40K rules to be extremely convoluted and hard to track. WHFB has better and more streamlined rules for me, but it still is darned expensive to start. Maybe you can look into Warhammer: Diskwars as an alternative, since it gives the WHFB feel without all the hassle.

I'm so over miniature games. They may look good, but you do not need minis for a game to be good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dropzone Commander is vehicle focused and has one of the best two player starter boxes ever offered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Rossi
msg tools
I have played Battlelore in the past, and while fun I didn't like that you had fixed armies depending on the scenario.
Does the second edition change that?

Thanks for the suggestion on Dropzone Commander. I had heard about it some time ago but for some reason I completely forgot.
Sounds very interesting and kinda like what I was looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't know about 1st edition but in the new one, you build armies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne Koivisto
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As you are interested in vehicle combat and Warhammer, I would suggest taking a look at Gorkamorka, the game about WH40K Orks fighting eachothers in a desert planet on cars and motorbikes. So more tactical elements than large scale battles. And teh game doesn't take itself too seriously. I guess it is not really supported anymore by Games Workshop, but the rules seem to be available online for free and the same miniatures that are used for Orks in WH40K can be used and converted for this. That is how we played it ten years ago anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.