Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"I love it when a plan comes together."
--Hannibal, The A Team

Here's another step in the process of using M44DDL if you don't have a group to play with. If you don't do fancy computer printing programs, there is another low tech way to go in providing yourself more Breakthrough Card decks! Well, my pal wants to play all three US maps together (and later the three British beaches), and offered to go over to the local print shop with part of my only Breakthrough Deck--with one of each different card (30 total). They charge $27 for a color copy to produce a full deck of 80 cards on cardstock, but only half that for a black and white deck. I'm going to get one of each--color and B&W. Therefore it will be cheaper than buying two Winter Wars expansions. Since both 'printed' decks will have blank backs, all three of my decks will now be easily distinguishable from each other, so that we won't spend hours trying to remedy it if/when cards from one deck (official with printed back, color, B&W) get inadvertently mixed up with each other--this is bound to happen with only two of us play the three map nationality version, and are drawing/discarding from three different decks. Total cost to me: $40. Of course, these are New York City prices.

Next week, we'll be invading on three maps at once, after my three solitaires of these maps played individually have hopefully gotten all the kinks of various rules questions and new procedures answered or figured out first. So I'll get to see how the possibility of transferring units between maps and playing to a total number of Victory Medals will be different. Since I'm playing the US, my first thought is to keep racking up medals on the Utah Beach map, where the victory seems to be easier (as it was historically) for the US, but we'll see...

Good luck to everyone figuring out their own solutions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
"I love it when a plan comes together."
--Hannibal, The A Team

Here's another step in the process of using M44DDL if you don't have a group to play with. IU you don't do fancy computer printing programs, there is another low tech way to go in providing yourself more Breakthrough Card decks! Well, my pal wants to play all three US maps together (and later the three British beaches), and offered to go over to the local print shop with part of my only Breakthrough Deck--with one of each different card (30 total). They charge $27 for a color copy, but only half that for a black and white. This is to make up enough copies forcomplete decks of 80 cards each. I'm going to get one of each--color and B&W. Therefore it will be cheaper than buying two Winter Wars expansions. Since both 'printed' decks will have blank backs, all three of my decks will now be easily distinguishable from each other, so that we won't spend hours trying to remedy it if/when cards from one deck (official with printed back, color, B&W) get inadvertently mixed up with each other--this is bound to happen with only two of us play the three map nationality version, and are drawing/discarding from three different decks. Of course, these are New York City prices.

Next week, we'll be invading on three maps at once, after my three solitaires of these maps have hopefully gotten all the kinks of various rules questions and new procedures answered or figured out first.

That is one way to do it...

ArtsCow is another
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Little Idiot
Scotland
Manhattan
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hang on? You are in NYC? Then you need to join forces with my band attempting to do the whole of Operation Neptune. PM if you are interested. We have 5 breakthrough decks at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Nieuwkoop
Netherlands
Klundert
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe this http://cdn.daysofwonder.com/uploads/userpages/86809/_6838.pd... can also be of some help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hassell
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

I just posted a message at Heroscapers describing what I've done, and I now see your post.

I did purchase a second Winter Wars for the second Breakthrough Deck and was planning to simply have each side play all three maps from their own deck (drawing separate hands for each map as normal). However, I decided to use my multi-function inkjet printer to simply print an extra deck. Since I have a sleeved Overlord deck, I printed on regular paper to slip into the sleeves.

So now I have 3 Breakthrough Decks: one regular deck that I had already sleeved, the regular deck from the second Winter Wars set that I haven't sleeved, and a third deck that I printed and slipped into a sleeved Overlord deck with the unique back that deck has. That will be my method of determining which cards belong to which deck. To be honest, I hadn't even considered the problem of getting the decks mixed together until I read your post.

Edit: I'll share some of my other ideas for using 3-maps that I posted at Heroscapers:

I'll use my 3/4" Koplow mini poker chips (I have 100 in each of 9 colors) for badges and order markers. My dad and I have already been using these chips as a way of marking units we're ordering (and using a second color in Breakthrough games where we mark units receiving "on the move" orders).

I have some wooden rectangular pieces for landing craft. I purchased these at Michael's.

I've purchased plenty of small 6-sided dice to mark unit health so I won't have to use as many of the figures. These are available in 36-dice packs, so I bought several. I can never have too many dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Estabrook
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Hi;
Did you get any push back from the printer? I went to a Staples and the attendent person refused stating copyright issues??

Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I had no objections at all from the printer, which was a full time print shop only operation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew L.
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
Sword, Board and Pen
badge
Hey! I run a board game blog at swordboardandpen.com! Come check it out!
mbmbmbmbmb
So did you just have them scan the cards and print them?

I'm thinking of just making my own homebrew decks, as we are doing the 6 mapper in a few weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.