Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I started the idea for this game over a year ago and let it sit. A recent thread in the WIP section, Magic the Dicening re-inspired me to look it over again. So, these aren’t official rules but rather my concepts transferred from my notebook to this thread. Sorry about the wall of text!

The main inspiration came from Magic and WoWTCG. So you could say its familiar to those games, but in a simpler dice form.
I am aware of Dragon Dice, Throwing Stones, Dicemasters, etc. None of those were inspiration for this game but minor similarities are inevitable when sharing the same genre of game.

Fire and Dice:

The goal of the game, like many others is to defeat the opposing hero. You start out with 20 life.

But first, each player must create a "dice deck" of 15 dice. Every die has at least 1 side of each type: Minion, Attack, Defend, Spell. The higher cost dice have an additional 1 or 2 symbols of one particular type. Ultimately, the player will choose which dominate types they prefer when building their "deck". The first three dice shown above are part of the default starter set dice. The die on the bottom is a Frostbolt Spell die from an expansion pack (this game is expandable NOT a booster/random format).

You see that the yellow starter set spell deals 2 damage. However, while the Frostbolt only deals 1 damage, its special effect is: "The target minion cannot attack on their next turn".

Also, you probably notice the 3 different colors. This represents its "resource cost" to be played.

White = 1 resource
Yellow = 2 resources
Orange = 3 resources
Red = 4 resources (not shown)
Purple = 5 resource (not shown)

Update: Resource cost pips have been added to aid color-blind players. This may or may not remain due to space limitations.

During the game, your dice deck will be open information to your opponent and you will NOT randomly draw dice but instead hand select 1 die to add to your dice pool after every turn.

So where are the resources?

Well, ANY die can be a resource. I’ll use an example to explain. At the start of the game, both players get three starter dice (the white dice shown above). Let’s say it is my turn so I roll all 3 dice and the results are:

Minion (1/1), Shield (1D), Shield (1D)

To put the Minion in play, I spend a resource by discarding 1 of the Shield results. The Minion cannot attack until my next turn.

And before I forget… Do you see those blank results on the lower cost dice? Pretty crappy eh? Blank results count as TWO resources!

Continuing on with the example, all I have left now is the other Shield result. I can't do anything with it right now. But let’s just say I had a 4th die.

A Shield can be used for:
a) Equipping my Minion which would make him a (1/2) and allows him to protect against my attackers selected targets (normally without Protect, the attacker gets to select which target to attack).
b) My hero directly blocking damage from an opposing spell targeting at ANY target including the hero.

Swords can be attached to minions in the same way as shields to increase their Attack. Only 1 sword and only 1 shield can be equipped for each minion. Place swords to the left and shields to the right of minions when equipping them. Swords can also be used by heroes as a one-time attack.

Not shown here but some swords and shields will have special effects as well.

Spells are one-time effects unless the spell it also has the ongoing symbol for an ongoing effect. For one-time effects, the die is immediately discarded after use. Other spells will be: Counterspell, heals, control, damage, AoE, ongoing effects, etc.

Then, at the end of your turn, you get to pick (not randomly draw) 1 die from your dice deck and add it to your dice pool. All discarded dice will be available again for your next turn.

Remember when I said your deck is 15 dice? How does that exactly work?

So, you start with the 3 starter dice (all players will start with these) + 15 from dice deck = 18 total available dice. However, you can only have 12 dice in play at any time (after drawing 1 each of the first 9 rounds). Then, starting with the 10th round, you MAY exchange any die from the dice deck with a die in play. This allows you to shift to your end game strategy or to exchange unwanted dice based on your opponent’s current strategy.

Now obviously when a minion is in play with attached equipment, those dice cannot be rolled or used for anything else until the minion is destroyed in combat or you manually choose to destroy your own dice. Once a die is destroyed, it is put back in your discard pile and will be available again for your next turn.

Ok, but what if I have a crappy roll?

You can pay 1 resource and reroll any number of those dice again. Example: I have now 6 dice by round 4 and roll them:

Blazing Sword (1A+Effect), Sword (1A), Blank, Shield (3D), Shield (1D), Spell (1A)

Now if I was hoping for a minion I may spend a resource and discard the Shield (1D) to reroll the Sword (1D), Shield (3D), Spell (1A). After rerolling I get a Shield (1D), Minion (3/3), and a Blank.

I spend 3 resources and discard 1 Blank (2 resources) + Shield (1D) to put the Minion (3/3) into play. Then I spend 2 resources and discard the other Blank to equip my Minion with the 2 cost Blazing Sword (1A+Effect).

Lastly, a potential system I'm testing to add even more depth is "focus". If you don't use some of your dice during a turn you can transfer them into a certain amount of focus. Then, that saved focus can be spent during future turns to manually turn one die per turn to a desired result (instead of rolling it). The focus cost for the die will be the same as its resource cost.

This can be very potent when combined with a powerful die at a critical point in the game.

Thank you for reading. More info to come...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S J
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Fire and Dice - A dice game (picture Magic or Hearthstone in a simpler dice form)
This is an interesting idea, to be sure. There's definitely potential here.

My main concern is that it feels very lucky. Even with the mitigations you put in, it still feels like there's very little choice to be made. It's just rolling dice and hoping you get what you need.

Granted, the "deckbuilding" aspect of it obviously has choice, but that's all pre-game. Also, I can't help but compare it to Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men. How is this game better, or uniquely different? What does it offer that Marvel Dice Masters does not? I think that's a question you need to be able to answer before you go too far with it, and I don't see an immediately obvious answer to that from your notes here.

Keep at it. This could become something if you ask the right questions and come up with some good solutions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Fire and Dice - A dice game (picture Magic or Hearthstone in a simpler dice form)
Sandrockcstm wrote:
This is an interesting idea, to be sure. There's definitely potential here.

My main concern is that it feels very lucky. Even with the mitigations you put in, it still feels like there's very little choice to be made. It's just rolling dice and hoping you get what you need.

Couldn't the same be said for Dice Masters then as well? That is even more susceptible to the luck of the draw AND rolls. Card games have dead draws, mana screw, etc. I feel that is a common issue for every game of this genre. Fire and Dice obviously would not be for everyone. It is a dice game after all, which inherently has an element of luck.

Also, I would argue that there are quite a few decisions to be made.
What results do you use?
Do you use resources now or save to counter opponent?
Do you reroll?
Do you store Focus?
What targets do you choose?
Which die do you pick after each turn?
Which die to you exchange (if any) from the 10th round on.
And more...

Granted, the "deckbuilding" aspect of it obviously has choice, but that's all pre-game. Also, I can't help but compare it to Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men. How is this game better, or uniquely different? What does it offer that Marvel Dice Masters does not? I think that's a question you need to be able to answer before you go too far with it, and I don't see an immediately obvious answer to that from your notes here.

I understand that there will be similarities made to games in the genre. Just something to consider but I bet if MDM had made a development post on BGG prior to release, people would have said, "Yeah this sounds exactly like Quarriors with a few tweaks, how is this better and why would I buy it then?? Yet, now I think most people would agree that MDM is a MUCH better game even with a large chunk of the mechanics being the same.

First, if it is up to me as the designer, I do not want a random booster format but rather an expandable one (EDG). Second, there is no random drawing from a paper bag or "dice building" like in MDM so that right there is fundamentally different. The interaction is based on resource management and spending to activate your dice. Also, I don't recall MDM having nearly as many other luck mitigators or a "focus" system.

Keep at it. This could become something if you ask the right questions and come up with some good solutions.

Thanks! I do have a long way to go but feel its worthy (and different) enough to warrant the effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kelsey
United States
Unspecified
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing you may want to consider is having slightly different symbols for showing the resource cost. We have a color-blind member of our gaming group and he'd have a lot of trouble with the yellow/orange/red color differences. That alone would probably keep this off our gaming table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the basic concept. In particular I really like two things about the high level design:

1) The sense of increasing tension that will come with adding 1 dice to your pool each round; it's going to be a tough decision and (if I understand right) the pool of dice you roll each turn will constantly get bigger making each round more epic than the last.

2) The resource system (which goes hand in hand with the first point) - any dice can be discarded for 1 resource, and "blank" results for 2. Keep it that simple.

What I don't like:

Do we really need more games with the boring theme of "play monsters, play abilities, and deal 20 damage to your opponent before they do it to you! Hoorah!"? (that's a rhetorical question). I often use that theme (because it's so easy to use) to stress test a new mechanic and see if it works - but once I know that it does (this one looks like it will) I jettison the theme and find something better (or different; and really, different will be better).

I'm not sure what to suggest you change the theme to (but if you do change theme, I'd recommend doing it before you get your mechanics too deeply tied to it). Defeating your opponent is nice and all but this whole "Magic" theme is very bleh.... How about this: Robot Wars: and each round you are building a robot to battle the other robot(s). Some dice faces are "parts" (wheels, arms, control panels etc..) and some are "orders" (attack with range, avoid, etc..) and some are "events" (sabotage a part, reverse an order, etc..). You start with one "Master Control" dice and a basic "Shield" attached to the front and in play. Each round you roll your pool, then have to pay resources to attach parts to your robot (where non-control panel parts need to be attached to control panels, and you assemble the robot by laying the dice out touching edges) and store orders (if you pay for an order you put it in your "hand" for the round). Dice used as resources go to a temporary discard. Then, your robots battle (you take turns playing order dice until both players run out of orders). Some portion of your robot will be left (if it's all gone you lose!); any destroyed parts are returned to your pool, and you may choose to return any surviving parts to your pool. Add 2 dice from your supply to your pool and begin the next round (roll and build, then battle!). Play continues until a robot is destroyed OR there are no dice left to add to your pool, in which case the game ends and the robot with the most "life" left (determined by adding up the "life" value on the parts dice still on the robot, with a bonus +1 for each control panel die) wins.

In Summary: I challenge you to come up with a different theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha, I completely agree with you but attracting that nostalgic Magic/TCG crowd is like coaxing a deer. It must be gentle, familiar, and inviting...

All jokes aside, I agree that the theme is very common but it is what I had derived the concept from so hadn't really thought about it until now. I am not married to the theme and if I can find appropriate terms and a theme that better fit into the mechanics, I am all for it.

That is a good challenge indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JewellGames wrote:

All jokes aside, I agree that the theme is very common but it is what I had derived the concept from so hadn't really thought about it until now. I am not married to the theme and if I can find appropriate terms and a theme that better fit into the mechanics, I am all for it.

As (sort of) illustrated by my robot wars proposal/example, your mechanics will probably change to suit the new theme. It won't be just a matter of renaming the types of things, if you really want a solid retheme you'll need to adjust the mechanics to the theme (for tighter connection). But, overall, I think that it would improve your game (by making it more it's own thing, and who knows - the mechanics changes might make it more fun/better).

It seems to me now is the best time to start thinking about a new theme - you have a core that works (or conceivably works), and to really adopt a new theme you'll want to adjust that core a bit to better match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I haven't determined yet is whether you can "lock" dice that aren't used that turn. They would then carry over to the next turn. Let me further explain...

On turn 1:

With the 3 starter dice, I roll a Minion (1/1), Sword (1A), Spell (1A)

I discard the Spell to put the Minion in play. I end my turn and add 1 die from my dice deck to my dice pool (in the discard pile). Net result: 1 die on the battlefield, 2 dice in the discard pile and 1 unused die.

On turn 2:

I again have 3 available dice to roll with the 1 Minion die on the battlefield.

So as a rule I could either:
1) Allow players to "lock" unused dice (and put them in a designated lock area) which cant be used on an opponent's turn but wont be rolled at the beginning of your next turn. This guarantees that you have a desired result.

2) Unused dice cannot be "locked" and must be rerolled with the other dice at the start of the next turn.

I am not sure if option 1 will add further complexity with the focus system already in place or if it will provide another strategic option and control for the player (or replaces the focus system?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would replace the focus system with that. It's cleaner, simpler and gets the desired results: (1) unused dice are "useful" and (2) a bit more control in a strategic game which revolves around dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MintMMs wrote:
One thing you may want to consider is having slightly different symbols for showing the resource cost. We have a color-blind member of our gaming group and he'd have a lot of trouble with the yellow/orange/red color differences. That alone would probably keep this off our gaming table.

While I am considering a different theme I did add resource cost pips at the bottom of the die. Not sure if I like it since it takes up some space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Timothyp103 wrote:
This looks great, I've been playing around with a similar idea for a while but not anywhere near this polished!

Also, loving the look of your "Paradice" entry for the contest! Looking forward to seeing more of that too!

(Also, I saw you had 999 thumbs-ups, so I rounded it up to an even 1000 )

Yeah, Dicematch (formerly Paradice) is pretty lite and this one is a little heavier. The goal for both was to be all-dice games.

Thanks for the thumb!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike L.
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Gregg,

I am glad to see you put your game up. To dig a little deeper, can you explain how the sword symbols can be used as a "one-time player attack" and how the shields block spells. Do shields only block attack spells/abilities? Can I target creatures with the attack ability? Does 1 time use, mean it is discarded?

Good Luck man.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Breakdown

Just to note: like Magic, a minion is only defeated when enough damage is dealt to it in a single round. At the beginning of your turn, all damage is removed from your minions. The best way to track damage is using red d6(s) placed directly behind the minion.

Terms:

One-time - After a die is used, it is discarded immediately and will be available again on your next turn.

Ready - A minion that is ready can attack or protect another minion or hero. Readied minions are displayed upright (from the owners view).

Exhausted - A minion that has attacked or protected another minion or hero becomes exhausted. Also, a minion enters play exhausted. Exhausted minions are turned 90 degrees to the right (from the owners view). Just an fyi, this act of "tapping" is no longer under patent by Wizards as of June 2014. Exhausted minions are not readied until the start of your next turn.

Protect - An attacker will choose a target to be the defender. As the defending player you can exhaust a minion (with an equipped shield) to protect the attackers initial target. The attacker and the new protector will now exchange combat instead.

Swords

-Swords can be equipped by minions to boost their attack power when attacking and defending. Only 1 sword can be equipped by each minion. The sword remains equipped by that minion until either the minion is defeated or the player manually chooses to discard the sword. The sword's effect (if applicable) is only activated when attacking.

-Swords can be used (one-time) by the hero to attack another hero or minion. A hero can use multiple swords together as one combined attack. A sword's effect (if applicable) is activated when attacking. Combat damage is exchanged and the hero receives damage equal to the defender's attack. Example: I use a Sword (2A) to attack an opposing Minion (2/2). The Minion is defeated and I take 2 damage.

-Swords can be used (one-time) by the hero to deal damage when defending against an opposing hero's or minion's attack. A hero can use multiple swords together as one combined counterattack. A sword's effect (if applicable) is not activated when defending.

Shields

-Shields can be equipped by minions to boost their defense. Only 1 shield can be equipped by each minion. The shield remains equipped by that minion until either the minion is defeated or the player manually chooses to discard the shield. The shield's effect (if applicable) is only activated when defending.

A readied minion with a shield can be exhausted to protect another defending minion or hero. Example: I use a Sword (2A) to attack an opposing Minion (2/2). The opponent exhausts his other Minion (1/3 with an equipped shield (2D)) to be the defender instead. That minion is not yet defeated but has taken 2 damage and I take 1 damage.

-Shields can be used (one-time) by the hero to reduce damage when defending against an opposing hero's or minion's attack or spells. A hero can use multiple shields together as one combined defense Example: I attack the opposing hero with Sword (3). The opponent uses Shield (1) + Shield (1) to negate 2 of the damage and only takes 1 damage.

A hero cannot use a shield to protect a minion.

Shields only block an attacking spell's damage not its effect! To completely block a spell (damage and/or effect), a counterspell would need to be played.

Spells

Spells that can be played anytime (on both either players' turn) will have a special symbol displayed. Otherwise, spells can only be played on your turn.

Minions cannot protect against a spell's target. And when a player casts a spell on a target combat damage is not exchanged by the defending target.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gregg -- SJ mentioned the Marvel Dicemasters ... but I should also mention Quarriors! bears a few similarities.

The gradually increasing "dice pool" is similar to Hearthstone's gradually increasing mana pool.

Overall, I like the ideas presented thus far.

And unlike Jesse/Candi, I'm not really too concerned about having yet another game of a familiar theme. (I guess we can call it a "Minion Summoning" theme). In fact, I think any designer who likes that theme should make at least one attempt to make a game in that theme.

Keep going!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike L.
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JewellGames wrote:
Breakdown

Just to note: like Magic, a minion is only defeated when enough damage is dealt to it in a single round. At the beginning of your turn, all damage is removed from your minions. The best way to track damage is using red d6(s) placed directly behind the minion.

Terms:

One-time - After a die is used, it is discarded immediately and will be available again on your next turn.

Ready - A minion that is ready can attack or protect another minion or hero. Readied minions are displayed upright (from the owners view).

Exhausted - A minion that has attacked or protected another minion or hero becomes exhausted. Also, a minion enters play exhausted. Exhausted minions are turned 90 degrees to the right (from the owners view). Just an fyi, this act of "tapping" is no longer under patent by Wizards as of June 2014. Exhausted minions are not readied until the start of your next turn.

Protect - An attacker will choose a target to be the defender. As the defending player you can exhaust a minion (with an equipped shield) to protect the attackers initial target. The attacker and the new protector will now exchange combat instead.

Swords

-Swords can be equipped by minions to boost their attack power when attacking and defending. Only 1 sword can be equipped by each minion. The sword remains equipped by that minion until either the minion is defeated or the player manually chooses to discard the sword. The sword's effect (if applicable) is only activated when attacking.

-Swords can be used (one-time) by the hero to attack another hero or minion. A hero can use multiple swords together as one combined attack. A sword's effect (if applicable) is activated when attacking. Combat damage is exchanged and the hero receives damage equal to the defender's attack. Example: I use a Sword (2A) to attack an opposing Minion (2/2). The Minion is defeated and I take 2 damage.

-Swords can be used (one-time) by the hero to deal damage when defending against an opposing hero's or minion's attack. A hero can use multiple swords together as one combined counterattack. A sword's effect (if applicable) is not activated when defending.

Shields

-Shields can be equipped by minions to boost their defense. Only 1 shield can be equipped by each minion. The shield remains equipped by that minion until either the minion is defeated or the player manually chooses to discard the shield. The shield's effect (if applicable) is only activated when defending.

A readied minion with a shield can be exhausted to protect another defending minion or hero. Example: I use a Sword (2A) to attack an opposing Minion (2/2). The opponent exhausts his other Minion (1/3 with an equipped shield (2D)) to be the defender instead. That minion is not yet defeated but has taken 2 damage and I take 1 damage.

-Shields can be used (one-time) by the hero to reduce damage when defending against an opposing hero's or minion's attack or spells. A hero can use multiple shields together as one combined defense Example: I attack the opposing hero with Sword (3). The opponent uses Shield (1) + Shield (1) to negate 2 of the damage and only takes 1 damage.

A hero cannot use a shield to protect a minion.

Shields only block an attacking spell's damage not its effect! To completely block a spell (damage and/or effect), a counterspell would need to be played.

Spells

Spells that can be played anytime (on both either players' turn) will have a special symbol displayed. Otherwise, spells can only be played on your turn.

Minions cannot protect against a spell's target. And when a player casts a spell on a target combat damage is not exchanged by the defending target.

Very interesting! The only issue I see is that using a sword or shield to defend or attack seems really expensive. If I understand everything correctly if I attack, I have to spend mana to make the attack, the monster/player can hit me back or block it and I have to exhaust a dice. Have you playtested that mechanic yet? Or do I have something wrong?

PS I am gearing up to Protospiel this weekend, so I have halted my MTG game, so hopefully you can give me some critical feedback when I get back to it next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nitro9090 wrote:
Very interesting! The only issue I see is that using a sword or shield to defend or attack seems really expensive. If I understand everything correctly if I attack, I have to spend mana to make the attack, the monster/player can hit me back or block it and I have to exhaust a dice. Have you playtested that mechanic yet? Or do I have something wrong?

PS I am gearing up to Protospiel this weekend, so I have halted my MTG game, so hopefully you can give me some critical feedback when I get back to it next week.

Close, I think.

When using a sword and/or shield to attack/defend as the hero, nothing is exhausted on your side.

The advantage of spending resources to attack with your hero is since you don't exhaust, you can attack multiple times per turn unlike a minion.

The disadvantage is you are susceptible to taking damage from defenders.

Yes, minions equipped with swords/shields do exhaust when they attack or protect others but that is because they persist over multiple turns (as long as they stay alive) instead of being a one-time use.

Sounds good about the feedback, I should have some time this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm working on the rules now. One thing I mentioned before is that a hero can attack multiple times each turn. However, I also said that they can combine multiple swords or shields together during the same combat which is incorrect. They can only use 1 weapon and 1 shield per attack or when defending/resisting spell damage. This is to avoid stacking weapons and/or shields that have abilities.

Example: The opponent has Minion A (1/1), Minion B (2/1)

I pay 1 resource to use a Sword (1A) to attack and defeat Minion A, while taking 1 damage myself. I pay another 3 resources to use another Sword (1A) and Shield (2D) to attack and defeat Minion B while completely blocking all 2 damage.

Also, heroes can use shields to protect minions, I had mentioned that they couldn't before.

Btw, some ability ideas:

Minions

Stealth - While attacking, opposing characters can't protect.

Protector - You can defend in place of the proposed defender even without an equipped shield.

Haste - Able to attack on the same turn that you entered play.

Elusive - Unable to be attacked (but can be targeted by spells).

Immune - Unable to be targeted by spells (but can be attacked).

Dual-wield - Able to equip 2 weapons at once.

Weapons

Mana Sword - You may reroll X dice when you attack with this weapon. X is equal to this weapon's attack value.

Chaos Sword - The opponent must reroll X dice when you attack with this weapon. X is equal to this weapon's attack value.

Blazing Sword - Deal 1 damage to an adjacent minion when you attack a minion.

Shields

Spiked - Deal 1 damage back at the attacker when defending.

Divine - Heal the hero by 1 if all of the attacker's damage is blocked by this shield when defending.

Hellfire (Cost 5) - Deal 1 damage to all enemies (minions and hero) when defending.

Spells

Disable - Disable a minion's equipped weapon or shield, it cannot be enabled during the controller's next ready step. Rotate the targeted equipment upside down to indicate it's disabled status.

Weakness - Lower the value of all enemy minion's equipped weapons and shields by 1 this turn.

Curse of Tongues - Keep this out until the end of the opponent's next turn and then put it in your discard pile. Opponent has to pay 1 extra resource to play spells during their next turn.

Curse of Fatigue - Keep this out until the end of the opponent's next turn and then put it in your discard pile. Opponent has to pay 1 extra resource to play minions during their next turn.

Motivate - Ready an exhausted minion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Candi wrote:
I would replace the focus system with that. It's cleaner, simpler and gets the desired results: (1) unused dice are "useful" and (2) a bit more control in a strategic game which revolves around dice.

Here's one issue with locking them versus creating focus I've now come to realize.

1) Locked dice can't be used as resources. I'm not sure if the advantage is worth the disadvantages.

2) The original focus system was made so you could "surprise" your opponent by manually rotating to a counter spell or a final piece of a big assault combo. That no longer would be the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are coming along slowly but surely. I am currently using the focus system over the other proposed option. So here is a small snippet of the rules pertaining to focus...

Taken from the rules wrote:
During your action phase, you may perform these five actions, as many times as you’d like, in any order: reroll dice, gain focus, spend focus, play a die, and propose a combat.

2. Gain Focus

Focus allows you to manually rotate a die in your dice pool to any face you want. The amount of focus required to do that is equal to the resource cost of the die you want to rotate. And in order to spend focus, you must first gain it by discarding dice in your dice pool.

For each die discarded to gain focus, increment your focus die by that die’s resource cost. A maximum of 6 focus can be stored at one time, any excess focus is lost. For example, if your focus die is currently set at “4” and you discard an orange die worth 3 focus, your focus die would be changed to “6” and 1 focus would be lost.

3. Spend Focus

To manually rotate a die in your dice pool to any face you want, decrement your focus die by that die’s resource cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MicroStack Games wrote:
I like the increasing AP pool (maybe represented by a d20 and increasing by 1 each turn - like hearth). Think this would also help keep the games quick.

What about a "Redwall" theme. From wikipedia: "In the Redwall universe, species almost invariably (with very few exceptions, including change of character mid-story) determines a creature's nature, whether good or evil. Some common noble species in Redwall include mice, otters, moles, hares, squirrels, hedgehogs, shrews, birds, voles, and badgers, while common vermin include rats, foxes, weasels, ferrets, ravens, snakes, stoats, ermine, sables, wildcats, magpies, rooks, and crows. However, many other varieties of species also make appearances throughout the novels as well."

Yes, the increasing AP pool is still in the game. A small tweak is your dice set (deck) is made up of 16 dice. You start the game with any 3 you choose from your set. At the start of every turn, you select 1 die from your set and move it to your dice pool to be rolled.

As stated before...once you have 12 active dice (so by turn #10), instead of selecting a new die at the start of a turn, you may exchange a die from the die set with any die in your dice pool.

Looks like a very cool theme! I am making the rules in the generic fantasy theme now and will tweak the terms and rules accordingly once the core mechanisms are finalized.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.