Keith Hammons
United States
Santa Monica
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Cosmic Overlords,

I searched all over online, and am sure I missed it or the obvious rule etc. etc.

If an offensive player wins an encounter and the defense plays a negotiate, can the offense "use" the cosmic zap card to prevent an alien who didn't use their power and can't use their power for the rest of the encounter in order to prevent the defensive player from collecting it in compensation?

Argument for: It says "play at any time"
Argument against: It says play to cancel One Use of an aliens power. There are no aliens that can use or have used their power.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have anywhere official to point you for an official ruling off the top of my head, but you definitely have to play the flare zap (edit: typo) during an actual "use". Someone else can provide more concrete proof no doubt. Probably the person that ninja's me right now in fact. ninja

Edit: Wow, no ninja. that's unusual.

I'd argue the wording on the card is enough though. Play anytime would mean you can counter a use anytime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Collecting compensation is not an alien power, so Cosmic Zap does not change that. There is another artifact card that can be used to stop compensation.

Ah, but what you're actually asking is can you spend the Cosmic Zap to get rid of it before compensation is drawn. Yes, certainly, and in practice you can use it on any player that has not yet used their power that turn a power that can trigger at resolution, even yourself.

(Edit: I might see the argument that if none of the powers are possible to trigger at or after resolution, then you can't use it, but because you can pre-emptively use Cosmic Zap even when a player has not yet announced to be using the power, or it is not yet the phase when the power triggers, I would allow spending the Cosmic Zap this way. It might be considered a dick, but brilliant move. At least as a house rule.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By rule, you can only play the Cosmic Zap to cancel an alien power as it is being used. Therefore, you cannot play the card in response to a negotiate unless someone is using their power at that moment.

If your own power can be used at that moment, though, feel free to use it and zap yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
By rule, you can only play the Cosmic Zap to cancel an alien power as it is being used. Therefore, you cannot play the card in response to a negotiate unless someone is using their power at that moment.

If your own power can be used at that moment, though, feel free to use it and zap yourself.

Yeah, blowing the cards before compensation is definitely a valid tactic if the play is legal. One situation that I know has come up is throwing down your reinforcements even though you know you've won.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
Holmes108 wrote:
you definitely have to play the zap during an actual "use".

Right.

Kobold Curry Chef wrote:

Right.

a1bert wrote:
you can use it on any player that has not yet used their power that turn, even yourself.

Not right.

The rulebook says, on page 12,
ZAPPING POWERS

Occasionally, a game effect (such as the “Cosmic Zap” artifact) is said to zap a power. This can only happen when the power is used as described on its alien sheet. The effect of that power’s use is then canceled and that power may not be used again until the end of the current encounter.

Thus, there is no such thing as "pre-emptive zapping." (Some groups allow it as a house rule, however.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Hammons
United States
Santa Monica
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Bill, I knew we missed something.

I'm really looking forward to the next expansion, thanks for all your hard work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.