Dominion» Forums » General

Subject: Mayday *Premium* vs FFG Sleeves rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maokai
msg tools
mb
Hello,

I would like to hear you opinion about the difference between the two. In term of price, FFG are only slightly more expensive (I only have the base set), so it's not that much of an issue. I prefer to pay a bit more for quality.

On some screenshots I seen around, Mayday Premium are more "snug", where the FFG has some extra space at top and on sides. Is that noticeable when you shuffle? Does Mayday still have sizing issues with the Premium line?

People who tried both obviously can really help me. Note though that I'm comparing the PREMIUM mayday sleeves and not the normal.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Who
msg tools
mb
i don't sleeve mine, they'd never fit back in the box

but yes, FFG are more roomie, I use them for everything though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chien
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have my Dominion set in Mayday Euro Card Blue Premium (MDG-7029), and they fit quite nice. I have sleeved about seven expansions all using these sleeves and they all fit quite well, never had any failures (unlike my previous experience with Mayday 7041 and 7106).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
Quality control issues aside, I much prefer the Mayday premiums due to the better fit. Every extra millimeter of unnecessary sleeve means that much more space and weight that the cards take up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bach
United States
Rocky Hill
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
I'm Bach!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mayday premium sleeves are slightly thinner than FFG (While still being thicker than their own regular line by "125%." I've never had a problem sleeving with their premiums with other games, but my Dominion cards are sleeved with the regular thickness sleeves. With some games I play stack height becomes an issue and every mil counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG. No question!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Woodward
United States
Bowling Green
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the Ultra-Pro "penny sleeves", and they work just as well as the others at a much cheaper price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At first I bought FFG sleeves and have recently switched to Ultrapro because I like the snugger fit. I found the slightly larger FFG sleeves more likely to catch on my playmat/other cards, more likely to bend or crease at the corners, and they get sticky sooner in my opinion. I've never used the Mayday premium sleeves, but I personally prefer snugger sleeves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Dang
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't mind not uniformed card sleeve height, you can do Mayday. But if you must have perfect edges, you have to go FFG, but it will cost more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maokai
msg tools
mb
Well, I also prefer them "Snug". I don't like the extra space on the top nor the sides. With that however, I order the sleeves online, and the shipping is quite expensive to my country.

According to what you say, with Mayday I should order 11 Packs instead of 10, as there is a good chance for sizing issues. With FFG I can probably order 10, and I have like 10-15 more here at home from previously sleeved game.

I'm not worried about the box, as no premium sleeves fit into it. I will find another fix for it. But is the shuffling or card handling is an issue due to the extra FFG size?

Also, which Ultra Pro sleeves are you using? according to this:
http://www.starlitcitadel.com/games/media//UP_Sleeve.jpg

They don't look snug...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Doughty
United States
California
flag msg tools
OVERTEXT HERE
badge
Funded by supporters like you!
mb
Maokai wrote:
According to what you say, with Mayday I should order 11 Packs instead of 10, as there is a good chance for sizing issues. With FFG I can probably order 10, and I have like 10-15 more here at home from previously sleeved game.

Always get an extra pack of sleeves regardless of which brand you get. There's always a chance regardless of the quality standards of the manufacturer that you will get a pack that is one sleeve short of full, or one sleeve that is miss cut, or one sleeve that has some kind of debris imbedded in it. Also in the ordinary use of your sleeved cards some will occasionally become damaged and need to be replaced.

The main concern with Mayday's variance is between production runs. Within a single pack probably all the sleeves will be about the same, and if you get several packs all at once, then likely they too will all be about the same. But if you get more sleeves later on, perhaps for an expansion or perhaps to replace several that became damaged all at once then the sleeves from the next lot will likely have somewhat different dimensions than those from the first lot as they were probably produced at a different time. This means that your Mayday sleeved cards will effectively become marked as some will be a longer/shorter and some will be narrower/wider, etc.

Mayday is great because they produce sleeves in a wider range of sizes than pretty much anybody else. But their production standards are not consistent. I used them almost exclusively for quite awhile. During that time I had some sleeves of the same model that were so short that the edge of the card would just peek out of the sleeve and others with maybe as much as 5mm extra across the top. I've had some that were so snug that they would slightly warp the card, and others with maybe 2mm extra width. Some folks have reported greater extremes. Now-a-days I pretty much only use them for games with unusual card sizes that other manufacturers don't readily produce.

I've begun to use FFG sleeves when I can, they do have a little extra space both on the width and the length, but generally not enough to cause trouble during play. And though I haven't yet bought nearly as many as I have of Mayday's, I haven' yet had to deal with any variance in size issues with theirs yet.

I don't like Upper Deck's little logo stamped onto each sleeve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oskar 10101
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
Well, I would advise to read up on BBG.

I recently decided I wanted to sleeve most of the games I have so I read and read and read and then decided to go for FFG sleeves where possible.

That was based on all the articles including many here on BBG.
I wanted good quality, sturdy, and size consistent sleeves. So with that in mind I ended up with FFG sleeves.

Although Mayday have a large selection of sizes I specifically did not select Mayday sleeves because of the many observations of size inconsistencies (go check BBG out on that).

For most games I was able to use FFG sleeves.
Only for 7 wonders, summoner wars, and dixit I bought another brand (Swan/Rocks). (Summoner wards because the cards are placed on a board and that requires a tight fit (height) of sleeves on the cards.

For the Swan/Rocks sleeves I was expecting some differences in quality ofcourse again based on all the threads on BBG. But boy what a difference when compared to FFG sleeves. The FFG sleeves are far more better. FFG were pretty consistent in size and quality, and overall quality was a lot better (no inconsistencies in the sleeve, the ffg edges are clean cut, the Swan Rocks are not, the FFG sleeves the front and back are the same size, the Swan Rocks ones about 30% of the sleeves have a back that is 1 mm shorter then the front.
But it will have to do as FFG do not have these sizes.

By now I have bought somewhere around 250 packs of FFG sleeves in various sizes, did not have to throw even 1 single sleeve away. But have to note that of the roughly 95 packs of purple FFG packs there were about 10 that had the same different length, but those I could use for other games. Overall each of the games I sleeved with FFG sleeves the sleeves used for that game are exactly the same size and quality.
Of the 14 packs Swan Rocks I bought for Summoner wars about half were poor (differences in length, and front and back size differences). Sleeved result is overall ok though, but you can see their quality is much lower than that of the FFG ones.
Still have to sleeve the Dixit cards so don't know if those are consistent or not. 7 Wonders looks fine.
Edit - 2014-07-21: have done the Dixit cards as well, one swan/rocks pack was completely unusable as it had a vertical and horizontal dent / fold across all sleeves, it looks like each sleeve got caught in a machine and created a cross across the entire sleeve. Two other packs had a dozen or so of these as well. Overall about 150 sleeves are unusable because of this.

So again if you are nit-picky about size and quality consistency and like clean sides and equally size backs and fronts sides on the sleeves then be certain to read up well before making a decision.

Price wise the thick swan rocks and the FFG are in the same price range with the FFG having a slightly higher price. But I would have gladly paid that price difference to Swan Rocks to get the same quality for those sleeve sizes that FFG doesn't sell.

FFG only sells thick sleeves, so if you see comparisons made keep that in mind, i.e. that they are not comparing apples to pears.

Btw, I do not keep my dominion cards in the original insert of the boxes as that was not very effective anyway.
I made boxes to replace the original inserts.
Unsleeved all cards (including all expansions) will go into two big dominion boxes.
FFG sleeves add about 50% in thickness so I needed 3 of the original boxes (base, intrigue, dark ages for and replaced the inserts with my own boxes.

Overall very happy with the FFG sleeves, wish they had a hand full of additional sizes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maokai
msg tools
mb
Thank you guys, that's been really helpful! I will be going with FFG based on you recommendation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.