Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Machina Arcana» Forums » Rules

Subject: Workbench and Ethereal questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Jenkinson
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question on how many cards you get to keep from activating a workbench.

From page 24, you get to draw 4 cards, then swap any of those with your inventory or equipped items. Does this mean that you could potentially gain all 4 cards? Say I have 2 equipped items and 2 items in my inventory - could I swap all of them out for the 4 new cards?

The next line says choose and take 1 card or give to an adjacent explorer. Does this mean that you only get to choose 1 card to gain/give from a workbench action, negating my thoughts on the previous point?

---

Also, a Moon Beast has spawned and is Etheral if against a wall. If he will never move, I have no way of attacking him unless I can figure out a way to indirectly attack him? (maybe there's a grenade or etheral weapon at some point I will receive? He's not near any barrels, and not on a trap) That jerk has just been sitting there for the longest time now, making me afraid to get within 3 spaces so he can pull me and use his powerful melee attack.

Thanks

(Loving the game by the way, what a flexible game system)

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juraj Bilić
Croatia
Varazdin
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmb
Quote:
you get to draw 4 cards, then swap any of those with your inventory or equipped items. Does this mean that you could potentially gain all 4 cards? Say I have 2 equipped items and 2 items in my inventory - could I swap all of them out for the 4 new cards?

Yes.

Quote:
The next line says choose and take 1 card or give to an adjacent explorer. Does this mean that you only get to choose 1 card to gain/give from a workbench action, negating my thoughts on the previous point?

From those 4 that are left (after swapping with items in your inventory), choose 1 card (that card goes into your or the inventory of your adjacent explorer).

And about Moon-beast.
First: if you are not playing Puppeteer, he will always move towards the nearest explorer, so you can just lure him out of the shadows.
Yes, there are items that give you the ability to target ethereal units.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Jenkinson
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

And about Moon-beast.
First: if you are not playing Puppeteer, he will always move towards the nearest explorer, so you can just lure him out of the shadows.
Yes, there are items that give you the ability to target ethereal units.


I want to thank you for being so amazing answering questions here. Best kickstarter I've participated in for many reasons, and you are always here to answer questions surprisingly promptly. Well done, Juraj

My confusion about the Moon-Beast comes from this sentence on pg 16 -
"[Ethereal] Monsters ignore all explorers that are not targetable and do not move toward them."

I took this as targetable = to be able to use its abilities. His abilities are a melee attack and a 3 range pull. So I thought by staying out of his 3 range pull, I would never be targetable, therefore he would never move.

So by targetable are you referring to my unit being visible and within line-of-sight of him - and only then he would move?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juraj Bilić
Croatia
Varazdin
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmb
From the manual, Page 16. - Ethereal
If a unit is ethereal, it cannot be targeted (unless some specific ability enables them to).

Monsters ignore all explorers that are not targetable.

So this tells you that if you, as an explorer are ethereal, the monsters will ignore you.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Jenkinson
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Asipu wrote:
From the manual, Page 16. - Ethereal
If a unit is ethereal, it cannot be targeted (unless some specific ability enables them to).

Monsters ignore all explorers that are not targetable.

So this tells you that if you, as an explorer are ethereal, the monsters will ignore you.


Ah, explorers can become ethereal too, not just monsters. That makes all of the Ethereal rules clear now - thanks again!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janet Welch
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I explained the workbench as: You draw 4 cards, look at all the cards you now have; equipped, unequipped and the 4 new cards; from these cards you must choose 3 to be discarded. You then get to choose if the cards you have left are equipped or unequipped.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nicidemas wrote:
I explained the workbench as: You draw 4 cards, look at all the cards you now have; equipped, unequipped and the 4 new cards; from these cards you must choose 3 to be discarded. You then get to choose if the cards you have left are equipped or unequipped.


Close, but any or all of those 3 cards may alternatively be placed back on top of the treasure deck. 4th bullet point:

Quote:
• Destroy any number of those cards, then place the remaining ones on top of the treasure deck in any order.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.