Subject: Do you enjoy playing dexterity games? Why Not? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Barker
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently we had a friend turn down Ghost Blitz once he saw that you would have to physically race to grab an object.

This is much different from any hesitation I am used to. It was much different from "that game looks too complicated" we were able to just play a different game but it certainly got me curious. If you are someone who avoids dexterity games, what are your main reasons?

If you do enjoy dexterity games, what was the last one you played/what is your favourite?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Koenig
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Fighter is on my favorite games. I also love Rampage and Coconuts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leslie Spain
United States
Greenville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because of an ear problem my hand eye coordination is lacking. I do not play dex games at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really care for dexterity games. Partially because I'm not very dexterous and I find those games to be a frustrating exercise in seeing how badly I can lose. But mostly, the reason that I like to game is the mental challenge. I don't see much value in challenging my dexterity. It's not a trait that I particularly place much value in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig McRoberts
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love dexterity games. Most recently, I played Terror in Meeple City, but Ascending Empires is another favourite.

To me, the people who dislike them seem much like the people who have problems with hidden, trackable information in games. They're both things that some people are naturally better at, and it seems unfair. Regardless of the fact that both are skills and can be improved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doe Gibson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like them ether. They make my feel uncomfortable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Crokinole gets more play than the next 500 games I own combined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they're just OK. The dexterity games I can recall playing didn't hold my interest for more than about 10 minutes at a time. I guess I tend to enjoy games where I don't have to rely on physical ability and can use mental ability instead.

I also feel like I got burned by buying one of the hot dexterity games of a few years ago (Sorry! Sliders) and then being unable to find players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I avoid dexterity games because I prefer games that offer a mental challenge/exercise. It's not that I'm bad at dexterity games (the last one I tried was Sorry! Sliders and I won against people who had played it before). I simply don't value dexterity as a skill and don't have much fun with that kind of game. If a game has any dexterity element, I will likely never buy it, although I wouldn't outright refuse to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen OConnor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Glass Bead Board Games
badge
Read my blog
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favourite games is a dexterity game: Flix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
doelion wrote:
I don't like them ether. They make my feel uncomfortable.
as in socially? what about werewolf it's ilk? they make me feel astly more awkward!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chaos is a ladder
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite is Safranito. Nice gameplay, some good strategy as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I enjoy a dexterity game once in a while, but I can see why they would not be a match with everyone's taste. I've got a bunch of friends with whom Jungle Speed has long been a slightly boozy, late-night-after-everyone-else-has-gone-to-bed, holiday weekend activity.

My kids and I adore Catacombs. The dungeon adventure theme is fun and they get to gang up on daddy who usually the GM.

We have a couple of plays of the game-formerly-know-as-Terror in Meeple City under our belts and it shows potential. Plenty of silliness there!

PitchCar has fallen out of favor in our house, but I'd play it if the opportunity to were to arise (meaning that someone else sets it up).

I'm a little surprised at the negative opinions of Sorry! Sliders. It's fine for what it is, which is an inexpensive children's game (ages 6+) that some adults are able to enjoy. Loopin' Louie gets that kind of love too and I think that has more to do with allowing adults to feel like a kid for five minutes than it does with any belief that the toy is a good game by BGG standards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
They're not for me. If I'm playing a dexterity game I generally will be wishing I was playing a regular game.

In my opinion, 'dexterity games' (there are some exceptions), like knowledge based games, fall short as they reward players innate abilities rather than their decision making in game. (Armchair philosophers I note my error). The player with better dexterity or knowledge has an unfair advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally enjoy dexterity games a lot, even when I stink at them (cough Piratenbillard cough).

I'd enjoy Dungeon Fighter more if I had a table I could play it on though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to be in the right mood for dexterity games. Like others have said, I usually play games for the mental challenge, and dexterity games just don't scratch that itch. If we're looking for some silly fun, we'll play Terror in Meeple City. We play Animal Upon Animal when my daughter wants to, but it's quick and painless. I don't think we need more games in that genre, since they're just not that satisfying for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Love me some Dungeon Fighter as a change in pace from the rest of my collection.

I think I strongly dislike competitive dexterity games and I mildly enjoy co-operative dexterity games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
For the moves
Trinidad and Tobago
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I have none in my collection but I'm interested in a few. Cube Quest and Catacombs come to mind.

I'll play anything once I don't feel silly while playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I avoid buying them mainly because I would prefer to play more "thinky" games. But if someone pulled out a dexterity game and asked if I wanted to play, I would.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy them because they allow me to exercise unfamiliar skills in a socially enjoyable way. Often there are people in the group who feel they rarely win because others out-strategize them. A dexterity game levels the field.

My most recent play was Maus nach Haus, but I also enjoy Loopin' Louie, Volta and many other dexterity games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if Geistesblitz qualifies actually. I understand that speed games (speed pattern recognition, speed deduction) are a distinct genre to dexterity games requiring not speed, but good motor skills (flicking games, stacking games).

speed recognition games
I loooove them. Jungle Speed, Spot it!, Geistesblitz, bring it on! I didn't like them initially, but as I've played a lot of Jungle Speed with teenagers they grew on me. Mostly it's hilarious when somebody makes a mistake. devil

However Geistesblitz is a very interesting game as it's a (speed) mental challenge - speed deduction which demands you internalise certain thinking patterns. Of ALL games I've ever played this one scares people off the most. You either like it or you run away. Disliking has nothing to do with object grabbing and everything to do with fast thinking - the APers are scared s**tless and cry "it's too thinky!" (a true quote). The game is also my litmus test for whether I would want to play with someone more frequently (as it separates people willing to endure defeat and learn how to get better from those who get frustrated by losing and give up).

I've just tried Ghost Blitz: 5 to 12 recently and it fried my brain. Oh my. It might be a bit too much actually. Will try some more, but ooh la la!

now to 'proper' dexterity games

flicking games
Can be fun. Depends on the game. I love Terror in Meeple City(even if it's a mix of different dexterity elements and eurogame) for the way it makes a theme literaly tangible and tactile. PitchCar is fun with a large group. Dungeon fighter I found boring (not beacause of dexterity, but my dislike for co-ops, also there's too many mechanisms and art is hard to read).

stacking games
I'm terrible at them, but Animal Upon Animal is a great little game - spatial creativity, whoo hoo! Jenga, though, eh, maybe - I've tried it once with seasoned gamers who played the hell out of it while being drunk. Being sober they completely wiped the floor with the rest of us.

other
Klondike is unlike anything I've ever played. Recommended just for the weirdness factor. Oh, Nacht der Magier is another of those tactile miracles - you play the game in the dark and listening becomes and important factor! Cool. (and over in 5 minutes, though I've never played less than 4 games in a row).

EDIT: I've read the entire thread and have a question for those for whom it might apply - "If you game for a mental challenge, why are you running away from Geistesblitz?"
whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite illogical comment is when people say they don't like dexterity games because they have too much luck. Most dexterity games are 100% skill. What these people are really saying, I think, is that these games require skills they don't think they have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Wojtkielewicz
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
He who comes too late is punished by life.
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Riff Raff is brilliant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
no. rampage = peoples spit all over my game = hell no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not offered as a judgement of anyone else, just a statement of my own feelings.

I do not at all enjoy dexterity board games. When I play board games, it is because I want to challenge my mind, not my dexterity. When I do want a dexterity challenge, I'd much rather do something like shoot billiards or throw darts. Those are totally different itches, and I just prefer different ways of scratching them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.