SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the delightful aspects of having kind people in Japan send me things is that they include sweets, especially gum of which you've heard me rave previously.

So here's a small sample:

Here's a range of gum, boiled sweets, corn snacks and wonderful crackers. In the centre are some boiled sweets, Mitsuya Cider, in different flavours. They sort of fizz as you suck them, and reduce down to a hard centre. Very very nice. The small red packet in the middle is a boiled sweet in red bean flavour. An acquired taste. The green packet on the left is a children's biscuit, very small for small mouths. The green filling is sort of um green flavoured. My supplier says it is Macha flavour. I really cannot describe it, the flavours just don't transcribe to the European fruits and berries we know. On the right lower, the round cracker is both sweet and savoury. The cracker itself is salty, the topping is sweet, in this case a custard. These are seasonal crackers for festivals I think, and my supplier has been providing new ones each time. They're really tasty, so I take my time munching them. The long packets with the crazy designs are corn snacks, much like Whotsits in texture. One was onion flavoured, which was interesting, but not exciting. The brown one was a sort of chocolate coated cake.

I tried the cats paws today. It's hard to pin down the flavour. I would say Pink. They dissolved nicely, separating apart to the digits.

These gums are mint, but not spearmint. The blue is stronger than the green. What's amazing is that each gum wrapper has a unique design, even on the rear (the greens have some rear duplicates). The attention to detail in the package design is joyful.

And this gum is called Fit's. As you tug a piece out, it tears off, so you don't need to bother unwrapping it. Behind the second row, there are silhouettes of people. And look across the wrappers. The maker's name Lotte is staggered perfectly so it reads across each piece. The gum on the left is apple and watermelon, the one on the right is um, sort of fruity.

I might dig out some of my older Japanese sweets to add to this set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Clark
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I just got back from Hong Kong and though we brought back some fun (mostly Japanese) snacks, we should have stocked up on soda flavored Puccho. I really like those things. I'd totally eat one right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the only Asian candy I've completely disliked was anything Muskat flavored. gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Japanese go all out on packaging, presentation to the customer is of great importance. My employer used to package aftermarket repair parts for a Japanese manufacturer, and we used the nicest boxes ive ever seen a tail light packed in.

All of the local Asian grocers carry imported treats and my younger daughter insists on stocking up when we are near one. Shes got a thing for Lychee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
If you're curious, the cat's paws are called "Somehow Happy Cat's Paw Gummies." I guess if you eat them you're supposed to become happy somehow. The little speech bubble coming from the paw at the top says "They're squishy!" And the Cat at the bottom is saying "Eh?! Your hands are hard!" The flavor is in the red box at the bottom right. It says "Peach Flavor."

The Lotte gum is "Cool Mint," and "Green Mint."

The green bag at the bottom is called "Connoisseur's Edamame." Sounds good!

Those 雪の宿 (Yuki no Yado) biscuits are good! The one that you have left that is unfortunately broken is custard flavored. So it should be sweet and salty.

That stuff looks tasty! Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Josh! I love all that, I wish I had your skill. The Yuki no Yado are very nice. I don't mind them being broken, in fact it makes them last a little longer for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
Thank you Josh! I love all that, I wish I had your skill. The Yuki no Yado are very nice. I don't mind them being broken, in fact it makes them last a little longer for me.

Having broken cookies is like having more cookies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Josh, what does the mouse says, please?

I also ate the Sour Paper. It wasn't actually very sour, we're used to much more acid sweets here. The paper was a strip of sort of gummi with a light sugary coating. It was very chewy though, it folded up in my mouth and got chewier and chewier. By the finish, I wanted more.

I also ate the Edamame. It was nice but didn't thrill me. It was a nice savoury snack, not very salty, but very herby. I liked it but we have plenty of similar things here. Not fried, but it was more like an Italian style herby cracker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:

Edit: Oh, it's supposed to be a Chihuahua, not a mouse. Otherwise what it's saying makes no sense.

It doesn't translate that well. He's saying "I'm not giving you my paw, it's a handshake."

お手 (Ote) - is the japanese word for hand or paw. It's what you say to a dog when you want them to put their paw in your hand (similar to the "shake" command in English). He's saying that he's not giving you his paw, but shaking your hand. It doesn't translate that well because we use handshake for both terms in English.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thermogimp wrote:
EYE of NiGHT wrote:

Edit: Oh, it's supposed to be a Chihuahua, not a mouse. Otherwise what it's saying makes no sense.

It doesn't translate that well. He's saying "I'm not giving you my paw, it's a handshake."

お手 (Ote) - is the japanese word for hand or paw. It's what you say to a dog when you want them to put their paw in your hand (similar to the "shake" command in English). He's saying that he's not giving you his paw, but shaking your hand. It doesn't translate that well because we use handshake for both terms in English.

I see, his paw is for shaking, not eating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Matcha is green tea of tea ceremony origin. It won't match to the flavour of a berry but to that.

My recommendation would be to request some strawberry Melty Kiss next winter. Delicious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
On the right lower, the round cracker is both sweet and savoury. The cracker itself is salty, the topping is sweet, in this case a custard. These are seasonal crackers for festivals I think, and my supplier has been providing new ones each time. They're really tasty, so I take my time munching them.

I just noticed this part. If you're curious the type of cracker is called senbei. The yellow packet, as I said is custard flavored. The Black packet is "salad" flavored. Japanese companies use "salad" flavor to describe something that is just salty.

My Japanese fiance saw the Yuki no Yado Senbei there and got a craving so she went out and bought the Salad flavor at the local Japanese market:

There's also a Matcha Milk (green tea with milk) flavor that I'd love to try!

She also bought some Chococo White (White Chocolate cookies) that are quite sweet and go amazingly well with dark coffee.

So thanks, EYE of NiGHT. You have convinced my fiance to guy buy some snack foods. haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thermogimp wrote:
So thanks, EYE of NiGHT. You have convinced my fiance to go buy some snack foods. haha.

ninja

My work here is done.

Sadly, whilst we have a Chinese supermarket (loads of Chinese students at the Uni), we've no Japanese supermarket. The Chinese supermarket actually stocks a mix of Asian products, Malaysian, some Japanese, some Thai and so on. I've been getting some proper Chinese noodles and Ramen (Chinese producer I think). I'd like to get some Furikake, the manager says they get it sometimes. But no luck so far, and the other option is expensive buys off Amazon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
...something. :)
mbmbmb
thermogimp wrote:
...my fiance...

Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelley E.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
He went that way
badge
I used to have AP. Now I'm not sure.
mbmbmbmbmb
That reminds me, need to buy more Black Black.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.