Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe, but not yet. I think we'll need a lot more pods before at least *I* get to the point that I'll never use pox-x. It's so easy to swap out pods and experiment with decks, that I can't think of a pod I would never use right now...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Octatrack
United Kingdom
Rochdale
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own every objective set released so far, and the only reason I wouldn't include any particular one would be purely for thematic reasons (I tend to build decks based on a theme, rather than for pure power). I'm a casual player so I can't speak for the more hardcore/tournament fans of this game, but as Shnar said, no pod at the moment is so underpowered that no-one would include it in a deck (I think).

I recommend it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think so. There are individual cards and combos that are kind of ludicrous, but the really good cards tend to be balanced with junk or workhorse cards to fill out the pod.

There are pods where every card is a solid workhorse (Fall of the Jedi comes to mind here), but those tend to be somewhat rare, and don't tend to get the absurdly good cards.

Also, there's a lot of cards that are very good conditionally. Flight of the Crow, for instance, has a really fantastic unit at it's core (Moldy Crow), but it also has two interesting, but not very good units following it (Ruusian Colonist), a workhorse resource card (Valley of the Jedi) that actively conflicts with the Colonists, and a board wipe (My Ally is the Force) that will screw you six ways to Sunday if you've actually committed the Colonists to the force for their effect (which is kind of a bad idea anyway).

So, no. If there are any, it's some of the Smuggler stuff in the Hoth cycle, but even then, it's more that I'm not sure how I'd use it, not "it's worthless"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrich Hergl
Germany
Riemerling
flag msg tools
I give demos for the Star Wars LCG in Munich
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There surely are objective sets that don't see much play because they are lacking synergy with the rest of the sets and are not amazing enough by themselves to make it into a deck. This, however, will change with the release of other objective sets that make them suddenly worthwhile. Take for example the recently announced Force Pack cycle that will boost vehicles a lot. I did not have much success with the sets that contain "Tallon Roll". Now I can't wait to build a deck around them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geddon wrote:
I own every objective set released so far, and the only reason I wouldn't include any particular one would be purely for thematic reasons (I tend to build decks based on a theme, rather than for pure power). I'm a casual player so I can't speak for the more hardcore/tournament fans of this game, but as Shnar said, no pod at the moment is so underpowered that no-one would include it in a deck (I think).

I recommend it!

I was going to make a snide joke about Undercover Dealings... but then I thought about The False Report, and I know there's some horrifying synergy to be found there... I'm just not sure what it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
StarkeRealm wrote:
Geddon wrote:

I recommend it!

I was going to make a snide joke about Undercover Dealings... but then I thought about The False Report, and I know there's some horrifying synergy to be found there... I'm just not sure what it is.

Undercover Dealings was a nice set even before The False Report hit the scene, IMHO. The weapon that comes in that set is just insane. I like fishing for it with Hidden Cache.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett McBride
msg tools
Undercover Dealings has the Shadow Operatives, which when combined with Forward Reconnaissance can do quite a bit of direct damage in combat. Not a useless set by any means, but definitely not Tier 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sdrewthomson wrote:
StarkeRealm wrote:
Geddon wrote:

I recommend it!

Undercover Dealings was a nice set even before The False Report hit the scene, IMHO. The weapon that comes in that set is just insane. I like fishing for it with Hidden Cache.

I've always liked it, but it does seem to take a lot of flak on here, for not being horrifically game breaking on it's own. Of course, Narrow Escape is the most hilarious (and potentially game winning) response to Superlaser Blast. Though, Freeholders with a functioning Hold-out Blaster is a crazy thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Brennan
Australia
St Ives, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it helps any, I'm always encouraging FFG to design pods and effects which re-invigorate older, less valued pods through the playtest process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PBrennan wrote:
If it helps any, I'm always encouraging FFG to design pods and effects which re-invigorate older, less valued pods through the playtest process.

There also seems to be a heavy focus on alternative sets. The new Yoda pod, for instance, strikes me as an alternative for the core pod with a slightly different theme, rather than a flat out better pod.

Mara's pod from Lure of the Dark Side, strikes me as an alternative to Fall of the Jedi. It's not just flat out better, but it is an alternative that fills a similar deck role.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick K
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only sets that I don't think I've used/tried were the core set neutrals; Rumors at the Cantina and Looking for Droids. Their is not yet a good reason to run a 3 faction deck but like they did in GoT i'm sure FFG will find a way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
pCAB wrote:
The only sets that I don't think I've used/tried were the core set neutrals; Rumors at the Cantina and Looking for Droids.

Yeah, I've never used those either.

Has anyone else found a use for them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sdrewthomson wrote:
pCAB wrote:
The only sets that I don't think I've used/tried were the core set neutrals; Rumors at the Cantina and Looking for Droids.

Someone was talking about using Heroes and Legends to bounce between the different versions of Han, but I don't know if they ever made a coherent deck out of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
badge
Thank you, to whoever gifted me the Geek Citizenship Recognition badge! You're a pretty cool person, anonymous BGGer!
mbmbmbmbmb
sdrewthomson wrote:
pCAB wrote:

Early on in the game's life, I used Rumors so that I could run Red 5, Wedge, and protector Y-wings in the same deck. It won far more games than I would've guessed.

Looking For Droids has seen selective use in our area as well, as the Probe Droids are okay and It's Worse is REALLY good.

Neither objective set really has a place in a top deck right now but they have their uses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattr0polis wrote:
sdrewthomson wrote:
pCAB wrote:

Early on in the game's life, I used Rumors so that I could run Red 5, Wedge, and protector Y-wings in the same deck. It won far more games than I would've guessed.

Looking For Droids has seen selective use in our area as well, as the Probe Droids are okay and It's Worse is REALLY good.

Neither objective set really has a place in a top deck right now but they have their uses.

Rumors and Looking for Droids do have a real use when you want to splash an off affiliation in a deck that actually needs to be faction aligned with the main group. Executor in a Death Squadron Deck mixed with Unstoppable Advance (for the Orbital Depot) or a superlaser deck. I want to say that's more thematic, but, the Executor just plays more easily in Navy decks anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lernout
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen Rumors in the Cantina run for Leia shenanigans with Rescue Mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Papenfuss
United States
Star
Idaho
flag msg tools
"Your results are back: it's negative"......um, is that a bad thing?
mbmbmbmbmb
sdrewthomson wrote:
pCAB wrote:

Our gameplay has rarely seen those two pods---but now you just made me want to go create some decks with them!devil

Lately, I've had trouble getting much use out of Forward Reconnaissance (Rebel objective set from "Heroes and Legends"). IMO, none of the cards are must have (easily substituted), its anchor is Jan Ors, a step up from a wienie and the objective itself has 4 health. Ugh. While, I've used it before it just doesn't have the strength the rebels need to overcome the baddies. I don't see it getting much use at our house---maybe in 2 v 2? Anyone have success with this one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mpappy wrote:
sdrewthomson wrote:
pCAB wrote:

Our gameplay has rarely seen those two pods---but now you just made me want to go create some decks with them!devil

Lately, I've had trouble getting much use out of Forward Reconnaissance (Rebel objective set from "Heroes and Legends"). IMO, none of the cards are must have (easily substituted), its anchor is Jan Ors, a step up from a wienie and the objective itself has 4 health. Ugh. While, I've used it before it just doesn't have the strength the rebels need to overcome the baddies. I don't see it getting much use at our house---maybe in 2 v 2? Anyone have success with this one?

Jan can bounce Leia. Bouncing the Intel Operatives is good for setting up another strike, and Twist of Fate can get you to flat out empty your opponent's hand before you launch a second attack. Also, remember to effectively double Jan's combat icons if you have something you want to bounce with her.

There's some pretty horrifying synergy with Undercover Dealings (that pod's Shadow Operatives are self bouncing, giving the LS player a sort of limited Force Choke if you have Forward Reconnaissance in play).

Also, Jan makes Evacuation Procedure scary. Use Han for a fishing expedition, bounce Toryn Farr for the ability to focus an enhancement... which doesn't really sound that good until you're in the right situation, and of course bouncing anything boosts the Bright Hope.

There's probably a build involving Heroes and Legends, which only makes thematic sense because we are talking about Jan and Kyle.

I actually really like the new Force cycle Rebel Pods. They take some work to figure out, but once you do, they're nuts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
United States
Unspecified
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mpappy wrote:

Incredible success!

Try this:
2x Jan Ors
2x Falcon
2x Echo Caverns

Then fill out the rest of your objectives with Rebels.

With Echoes behind her, Jan is incredibly versatile and a force to be reckoned with... steal a blast and she can one-shot an objective, steal a tactics and she's dropping four by herself! She has great synergy with Cloud City Operatives or the Tactical Genius... drop the CCO in to move a focus, strike with the CCO to place a focus, use Echo to transfer the CCO's tactics to Jan, strike with Jan to place two more focus, and return the CCO so you can strike with Jan for another two focus (6 in all!). This will clear the path for attackers, take units out of the force struggle, and lock them down while preventing unique units from being replayed.

The Falcon's resource cheating mitigates the concerns about having to redeploy units that Jan sends away (but, really, most times she's sending away a 1 or 2 cost unit anyways). Falcon's action is a dream with Forward Recon... as bad as blocking the Falcon already is, just that much worse a proposition.

The last place where Jan shines is in extending the life of your beefier 3-4 health units who've picked up some damage. Jan returning them to hand allows you to rely on them rather than worry about if you'll be lucky enough to draw into your second copy.

The objective is strong, which is why it takes a damage capacity hit, particularly if you get two of them... it lets your low-life units strike almost with impunity.

The two chuds are great compared to the standard set by Shifty or Hired Hands, but they're quite efficient and combo well with the set. With the objective out and/or Jan out, they're stunningly efficient... you pay 1 to deal 2 damage to a defender, draw a card, reset Jan, and add an edge card to your hand? Yes please!

It requires tricky and combo type play, but when they come together it's glorious!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PBrennan wrote:

I hope they listen because you're right. What you just pointed out is a major advantage of cards by sets over individual cards.

They can even be advertised and sold as sets that help bring back older, somewhat useless sets. I'de buy em.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrich Hergl
Germany
Riemerling
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cracky wrote:
PBrennan wrote:

I hope they listen because you're right.

They already do this in other LCGs as well as in Star Wars. They dedicated a complete cycle of packs in Thrones to older mechanics and synergies. They also refreshed the Hoth mechanic with the release of Hoth objective sets in the current cycle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
www_Mischraum_de wrote:
Cracky wrote:
PBrennan wrote:

I hope they listen because you're right.

They already do this in other LCGs as well as in Star Wars. They dedicated a complete cycle of packs in Thrones to older mechanics and synergies. They also refreshed the Hoth mechanic with the release of Hoth objective sets in the current cycle.

The Hoth mechanic was a big part of the last cycle. Not really a refresh, more like a continuation. I am happy to see it further developed, though, instead of being abandonned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's good to learn. I'm pretty much an LCG noob, but FFG is really doing well with these card games so it doesn't surprise me that they're all over it.

Still want my Star Wars version of TI3, but if FFG has to stick to Star Wars card games, so be it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Martin
United Kingdom
Lincoln
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cracky wrote:
That's good to learn. I'm pretty much an LCG noob, but FFG is really doing well with these card games so it doesn't surprise me that they're all over it.

Still want my Star Wars version of TI3, but if FFG has to stick to Star Wars card games, so be it.

A Star Wars version of Twilight Imperium would be all kinds of awesome. It'd have to come in a wookiee sized coffin box though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.