Subject: Atman and Test Run or Scavenge rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Wray
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So how does the credit-for-strength-counters work when targeting Atman with cards like Test Run and Scavenge?

Does Test Run being Atman out at zero but give you the option to pay and set the strength higher?

Will Scavenge only give you credit for the base cost of Atman when trashing it (that my assumption, due to card 'memory')? What about bringing Atman from the Heap? Is it set at zero strength? Do I also get the option to pay for strength counters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
cynchwyrm wrote:
So how does the credit-for-strength-counters work when targeting Atman with cards like Test Run and Scavenge?

Does Test Run being Atman out at zero but give you the option to pay and set the strength higher?

Will Scavenge only give you credit for the base cost of Atman when trashing it (that my assumption, due to card 'memory')? What about bringing Atman from the Heap? Is it set at zero strength? Do I also get the option to pay for strength counters?

Whenever you install atman - you have the option to add counters. These counters have nothing to do with the install cost of Atman, so scavenging a 6 strength Atman and a 0 strength Atman are identical.

Most of the time you won't be test running a big atman - because you'd be throwing those counters away. Scavenging it to reset it is not unheard of, but deck space is tight. Scavenge is one of the cards that I always find stuck in my hand - so it frequently gets cut from tuned decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When Atman is installed, you get the option to pay for strength counters.

The install cost on the top left is the only thing covered by Scavenge/Test run. If you scavenge an Atman, the only thing that is credited is the install cost, doesn't matter how many counters you paid on to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wray
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both, that was my assumption but I wanted to double check my understanding.

Quote:
Scavenge is one of the cards that I always find stuck in my hand - so it frequently gets cut from tuned decks.

That's funny because I have the card in most of my Shaper decks. Aside from the obvious Test Run/Scavenge combo, it's a great recursion card that gives me cheap flexibility in my rig.

I had a game last night where I hit a Rototurret I wasn't prepared for and lost Magnum Opus (silly me, I ran early versus HB expecting to click through anything nasty - oops!). I ended up Scavenging a Cyber Cypher that was not terribly useful because it targeted a server that was currently empty. Scavenge and 2 credits got Magnum Opus back (was playing Kate). I also pulled a Test Run/Scavenge combo to get Femme on a Tollbooth. The card certainly pulled its weight in that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
cynchwyrm wrote:
Thank you both, that was my assumption but I wanted to double check my understanding.

Quote:
Scavenge is one of the cards that I always find stuck in my hand - so it frequently gets cut from tuned decks.

That's funny because I have the card in most of my Shaper decks. Aside from the obvious Test Run/Scavenge combo, it's a great recursion card that gives me cheap flexibility in my rig.

I had a game last night where I hit a Rototurret I wasn't prepared for and lost Magnum Opus (silly me, I ran early versus HB expecting to click through anything nasty - oops!). I ended up Scavenging a Cyber Cypher that was not terribly useful because it targeted a server that was currently empty. Scavenge and 2 credits got Magnum Opus back (was playing Kate). I also pulled a Test Run/Scavenge combo to get Femme on a Tollbooth. The card certainly pulled its weight in that game.

Test run + scavenge is awesome. There's no denying that. Scavenge to re-point Femme is awesome too.

Scavenge to bring back your opus though - you still lost resources in that trade, a card a click and 2 credits if you were playing Kate...

In my experience with Kate - I've done better to devote the deck space to being able to not lose the opus to the destroyer in the first place.

If your program you are sacrificinging to the scavenge was disposable - then it probably shouldn't have been in the deck in the first place.

Again - this is just my experience... your mileage and meta may very, i've just found that some cards that sound awesome in theory (Lawyer Up, Scavenge, Levy AR Lab Access, Deja Vu are the runner cards that come to mind) have frequently found themselves sitting in my hand waiting for a chance to get played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hinkes
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scavenge is one of those cards that you won't use every game. You probably won't use every copy. But when you do use it, it is huge savings! When combined with Test Run, it is the cost of the program and a click (to draw the program). Moving a Femme, also saves you the cost of the program and clicks.

Outside of Kate you're also usually saving an additional credit. I know most people play Kate, so it's slightly less good there. And that one more way to get a program back is useful as well. Sometimes you just gotta take a risk that might lose you a program...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only realised this today, but Overmind doesn't self-trash when it runs out of tokens, making it perfect for scavenge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wray
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scavenge also has great synergy with Personal Workshop. You have a tendency to throw stuff from your hand and host it on the workshop. Because of it's mandatory install, occasionally you are forced to install programs that you just don't need at that moment. Scavenge is great because it can take that investment and put it towards a program that you need to recur instead. It takes the savings over time from the workshop of any random program and lets you apply it towards something specific on demand. Neat stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.