Martin Smith
United Kingdom
Pimlico
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

A question from a relatively new player. Say I have Rob Stark, Eddard Stark and Grey Wind declaring a military attack against the Lanisters. I defend with Bronn and the Lannisport Weaponsmith (see screenshot below).

If I'm right Lanister will end up killing 3 characters here - one for deadly, one for losing the challenge and another one for Rob's ability.

The question is what order do these resolve and which one of Bronn's and Rob's ability triggers first ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buz
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Martin:

Welcome to Thrones timing, a wonderful rabbit-hole of interactions. It actually *does* make sense, but can take some learning. The FAQ document provided on the FFG website has a comprehensive timing list printed on it, I think around page 18.

In short, the end-of-challenge framework happens like this:

1. Determine Challenge winner
2. Implement Claim
3. Passive things happen (all things not preceded with Bold text)
4. Responses happen (easy to identify since the Response is in bold)

Within each step, there is a save/cancel window. For example, I can cancel #1 with a card like Feigned Retreat from one of the expansions.

So in your scenario, the Lannister player first chooses someone for claim. Note that Bronn's ability happens in advance, so his controller would have to trigger it prior to the end-of-challenge framework occurring. There's no opportunity for regular player actions in this window, just responses and such as detailed above.

Then, in step 3 (numerated above) passives happen. This is where Deadly would occur. Note that if you had only one character in the challenge, and you chose it for claim, the Deadly would have nobody additional to target! Deadly only works as the attacker and only on participating characters.

Then, in step 4, the Stark player would choose and kill a character due to Robb's ability. If any of those characters were "pre-selected" by Bronn's ability, the interrupt would happen and they wouldn't actually die.

Hope this helps a bit! Keep on grinding those dirty Lannisters into dust!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buz
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should further give you your first taste of "moribund." Characters don't actually physically leave play until the entire end of challenge framework has happened. So even if you choose Bronn to die, his ability still persists all the way through the challenge framework.

Remember how those dudes in Axis and Allies got a 'casualty shot'? It's sort of like that.

Or, say you played A Lannister Pays His Debts to kill Robb. Robb would still get to use his ability in the challenge since he will be "moribund" meaning killed but still physically on the board until the very last step of the challenge framework.

As I said it's a bit messy but does make sense. See that FAQ and get caught deep! Then, go to one of the many UK tournaments! I'd love to help you get connected with them if you so desire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
United Kingdom
Pimlico
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Buz - one of the best answers I have read. I'll keep this thread handy for future reference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Ach
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
buzhannon wrote:
Hey Martin:

Welcome to Thrones timing, a wonderful rabbit-hole of interactions. It actually *does* make sense, but can take some learning. The FAQ document provided on the FFG website has a comprehensive timing list printed on it, I think around page 18.

In short, the end-of-challenge framework happens like this:

1. Determine Challenge winner
2. Implement Claim
3. Passive things happen (all things not preceded with Bold text)
4. Responses happen (easy to identify since the Response is in bold)

Within each step, there is a save/cancel window. For example, I can cancel #1 with a card like Feigned Retreat from one of the expansions.

So in your scenario, the Lannister player first chooses someone for claim. Note that Bronn's ability happens in advance, so his controller would have to trigger it prior to the end-of-challenge framework occurring. There's no opportunity for regular player actions in this window, just responses and such as detailed above.

Then, in step 3 (numerated above) passives happen. This is where Deadly would occur. Note that if you had only one character in the challenge, and you chose it for claim, the Deadly would have nobody additional to target! Deadly only works as the attacker and only on participating characters.

Then, in step 4, the Stark player would choose and kill a character due to Robb's ability. If any of those characters were "pre-selected" by Bronn's ability, the interrupt would happen and they wouldn't actually die.

Hope this helps a bit! Keep on grinding those dirty Lannisters into dust!

As an update, deadly has now been added to the FAQ with a definite timing. That is, it no longer just resolves with all other passives; it happens right after renown is awarded and before passives. This has no real affect on the example in the OP, but it could make a difference if there are other passives involved in challenge resolution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan McBee
Malta
Hamrun
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
These issues are always a bit of a headache for my friends and I to sort out. It's very insightful seeing you folks discuss them in much simpler terms than the FAQs do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.