Mice and Mystics» Forums » Rules

Subject: Does another encounter occur if you re-enter a tile? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Ellis
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
My group played our first game last night, starting with chapter one of sorrows and remembrance. We did the optional side quest with Miss Maggie in the kitchen. After the kitchen, the story book jumps straight to the courtyard. If I read the tiles correctly, we needed to go back down into the kitchen tunnels, which is what we did. At this point should we have triggered another encounter? We just passed through the kitchen tunnels without any enemy minions and into the other cave like tile, which wasn't mentioned at all in the story book except for the initial picture of the tiles being setup. We did the encounter there, killed everything, got the flip space into the courtyard and picked up with the story book rules from there. Did we do this right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm at work so I cannot reference the rule book exactly, I'm sure someone will come along soon who can. In there somewhere it is written that the encounter occurs when you enter a new tile.

So I read that as a no to answer your question in my opinion.

edit: I know here somewhere I read that the designer said that ambiguous rules should be house ruled to what works best for you and your family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Jones
Canada
Ladner
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the rule book:

Quote:
Each time a mouse explores an area that has not already been explored during that chapter, the mice will have an encounter.

Since you already explored that tile you don't have another encounter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
What Phil said. Also see official FAQ at 1.4.0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ellis
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Thanks guys for the super quick replies, and thanks for the faq link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
sergeles wrote:
After the kitchen, the story book jumps straight to the courtyard.

Not sure, what you mean by that, but it doesn't seem to be true. After the kitchen, you just proceed further, but the story doesn't jump anywhere. The story drives the game, but you shouldn't really read ahead and see "what is our next target" as it may influence negatively your game experience. Don't look if current tile is "in the story book". Play the game. If you encounter new environment, check if there is something in the book about it, but it doesn't have to be there. It's still a game to play.

sergeles wrote:

If I read the tiles correctly, we needed to go back down into the kitchen tunnels, which is what we did. At this point should we have triggered another encounter?

No, you've done this before. The game sometimes requires you to remember these things, but most of the time is pretty obvious ("we've been here before"). There is no new encounter, but be aware of the important rule, that whenever the last mouse on the initiative track ends his/her turn and there is no monsters to fight with, you get one cheese. It's extremely dangerous to just roam through empty corridors back and forth. The rules were designed in such a way, so that you won't delay and won't stay in one room to perform infinite searches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
default player
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sergeles wrote:
After the kitchen, the story book jumps straight to the courtyard.

We had the same problem there Scott. I too think that the story book doesn't guide you back to the tunnels properly.
But since the Kitchen-Setting is a sidequest and as such not necessarily a part of the story, you would just explore the next room (tunnel) and move from there to the courtyard, if you skip the kitchen part.

And talking about the kitchen, what happens to the cheese on the table, that has been left by the roaches ? Can the mice scrounge it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Peck
United States
Frisco
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boardbeaver wrote:
And talking about the kitchen, what happens to the cheese on the table, that has been left by the roaches ? Can the mice scrounge it?

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/10390876#10390876

From Jerry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
boardbeaver wrote:

And talking about the kitchen, what happens to the cheese on the table, that has been left by the roaches ? Can the mice scrounge it? :what:

Not really, at least it wasn't intended this way (it could become way to powerful). But you can houserule this (perform search to get cheese), if you feel that would add up nicely to the gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
default player
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sydcomebak wrote:

Thank you David and Sebastian for the quick reply.
It did feel a bit overpowered, but since we failed the chapter 3 times saved poor Miss Maggie, we thought its only fair to take the cheese whistle

Ps: Man, there are so many good entries that I still have to read through!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.