Kaosball: The Fantasy Sport of Total Domination» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Bruisers or Runners out for Ringers? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darryl Gardner
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, I'm still pretty new to this game.

What seems to be the preferred strategy for substituting ringers?

Subbing out a Bruiser gives you 4 players that can score you points while still maintaining the base treat level of 2 Bruisers.

Subbing out a Runner gives you extra kill zones and more board presence.

From my minimal experience I feel that on teams that don't have high stats (ogres, goblins, etc) you'd want the extra runner as your reaction plays aren't really giving you an advantage. Whereas teams with high stats (Pirates, Amazons, etc) would benefit more from having more kill zones to take advantage of those higher base stats in contests.

What goes into your decision making when it comes to fielding your ringers? Do you also save your ringers for the second half when the mounds are worth more points? Or do you get the extra killing power to wipe your opponent off the field from the opening whistle?

I look forward to reading the thought processes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always sub them for runners. I feel bruisers help control the field better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wann
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As many have said before, this game is at its heart an area control game. Effectively having 3 bruisers on the field helps to control the field better than having only 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
FencePost wrote:
From my minimal experience I feel that on teams that don't have high stats (ogres, goblins, etc) you'd want the extra runner as your reaction plays aren't really giving you an advantage. Whereas teams with high stats (Pirates, Amazons, etc) would benefit more from having more kill zones to take advantage of those higher base stats in contests.

This is exactly my line of thinking. Teams that are more defensive in nature will not be initiating contests all that much.

Goblins you always want more runners because of Scatter. I think the rest of it really comes down to what your upgrades/ringers are, and what your opponent has access too.

But subbing a bruiser for a Ringer is fine strategy if you have a plan to utilize them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.