Diplomacy» Forums » General

Subject: Master and Player on the DPJudge? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Diplomacy via the DPJudge for many years with a group of friends and we always had a dedicated master. Now, my co-workers and I are interested in playing a game using the DPJudge (several are new to Diplomacy) and I had simply intended to setup the game as the master, let it run, and join the game as a power myself.

As I was setting up a second DPPD account there were many explicit warnings about NOT creating a second account and NOT acting as both a master and a player in the same game.

So, what’s the deal? Why can’t I master and play in a private, friendly game with my friends, all of whom work in my office? What is the alternative? Is there a way to setup an automated master of some sort?

FYI, I’m posting here on the Geek because the DPJudge and its forums and FAQ are so dated and hard to navigate.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shields
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I haven't played on the judges in ages and ages, but in general those prohibitions were in place to avoid people cheating. Plus the Judge keepers really wanted there to be a game master just so that if something went wrong there would be somebody who could step in and fix it - mostly so that the judgekeeper didn't become the de facto GM for any game without a game master.

In truth they probably wouldn't really care, especially if it's a group of players who all know what's going on. But I'm sure they'd rather that you just find a GM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian
United States
Castle Rock
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd be happy to GM/host a game for you on DipBounced, if it came to that. Running one right now for someone else on BGG. Super easy interface etc. Just ping me if you'd like me to set that up.

Edited to add: those other BGG guys were mostly novices too - I have a set of Tips that I post to the interface as the game progresses - simple tips that hopefully help with the rules for movement, convoys, support, builds and syntax etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ian,

Thanks for the offer, but I’ve managed to find someone to host a game for me on the DPJudge. :D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian
United States
Castle Rock
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Roger that. Happy stabbing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.