Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Greed» Forums » Rules

Subject: Avoiding "Generous" Jenny Jones penalty rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Maginity
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume that the end-of-game $25,000 penalty for "Generous" Jenny Jones is not exacted if the card is lost before the end of the game, just as end-of-game benefits are not received if the associated card is lost before the end of the game. Otherwise, it would almost never make sense to play this card, and it could end up being a poison card for "Polycephalus" Patricia Johns. Your thoughts?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mmaginity2 wrote:
I assume that the end-of-game $25,000 penalty for "Generous" Jenny Jones is not exacted if the card is lost before the end of the game, just as end-of-game benefits are not received if the associated card is lost before the end of the game. Otherwise, it would almost never make sense to play this card, and it could end up being a poison card for "Polycephalus" Patricia Johns. Your thoughts?

You do not lose the $25K if you already lost Jenny.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens if you still have Jenny Jones at the end - but you have less than $25K in cash - but lots of money in development markers?

Does she make you pay only the cash?

That could make sense - you don't have the cash as all your money is in non-liquid holdings.

Or it could make sense to deduct it anyway, since your holding Jenny at the end reflects the fact that your gang has a liability of $25K.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taed Wynnell
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly, Jenny always seems to die shortly after being played. I don't know why... :)
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Taed wrote:
Sadly, Jenny always seems to die shortly after being played. I don't know why...

That is my usual experience, but ...

In a recent game, I found myself with Jenny (and a way to get rid of her), but I also found that I was low in cash but with lots of development markers.

If Jenny can take only my cash on hand (e.g., $10K), I might rather use one of my last few turns to get a couple of development markers ($20K).

But if Jenny can reduce my final score (cash + development markers) by $25K, it might be a better move to get rid of her.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Doughty
United States
California
flag msg tools
OVERTEXT HERE
badge
Funded by supporters like you!
Avatar
mb
gillum wrote:
What happens if you still have Jenny Jones at the end - but you have less than $25K in cash - but lots of money in development markers?

Does she make you pay only the cash?

That could make sense - you don't have the cash as all your money is in non-liquid holdings.

Or it could make sense to deduct it anyway, since your holding Jenny at the end reflects the fact that your gang has a liability of $25K.


Regardless of their end-of-game scorring value, Development Markers are not money.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Maginity
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bryanldoughty wrote:
gillum wrote:
What happens if you still have Jenny Jones at the end - but you have less than $25K in cash - but lots of money in development markers?

Does she make you pay only the cash?

That could make sense - you don't have the cash as all your money is in non-liquid holdings.

Or it could make sense to deduct it anyway, since your holding Jenny at the end reflects the fact that your gang has a liability of $25K.


Regardless of their end-of-game scorring value, Development Markers are not money.

I think the development markers are definitely not money before the end of the game. However the rules say
Quote:
Each development marker is worth $10,000 at the end of the game. Each player adds his cash to his development markers' worth and the player with the most money is the new boss of the city.

The phrasing begins with references to the development markers' worth without an explicit liquidation step but then ends by just referring to everything as money. So I guess it's arguable either way. My personal leaning is that the penalty is applied to the player's total worth, not just the cash. The ability to dispose of Jenny before the end of the game is already a big enough loophole (though I wasn't able to ice her today; still won, though).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
gillum wrote:
What happens if you still have Jenny Jones at the end - but you have less than $25K in cash - but lots of money in development markers?

Does she make you pay only the cash?

That could make sense - you don't have the cash as all your money is in non-liquid holdings.

Or it could make sense to deduct it anyway, since your holding Jenny at the end reflects the fact that your gang has a liability of $25K.

The development markers are worth $10K; they don't become $10K in cash. Jenny only makes you lose cash, not development markers.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Rolfe
United States
Newberg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, Jenny-- she's unique. Sui Generis Generous Jenny Jones, we call her.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.