14 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Inconsistent Card Sizes? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Troutman
msg tools
mbmb
Okay, so I bought some cards from eBay containing a third copy of each of the 2x core cards. It might have been a dumb decision but it was just 5 bucks, and it's already done.

So anyway, when I first bought bought sleeves for my game, my local card store sold me Ultra-Pro Pro-Fit sleeves. Now, they fit my original core cards /and/ my Hunt for Gollum set absolutely perfectly with no bowing whatsoever.

Now, these cards I just bought, some of them fit my sleeves well, but many of them bowed. One would assume that maybe it's the sleeves being inconsistent but no--it actually seems to be that the cards themselves are not all exactly the same size (by maybe only a millimeter but still).

I acknowledge that were I to have standard size sleeves, I likely wouldn't have noticed. But this bothers me. It's possible the seller combined cards from different core sets before selling me these. Is it normal for cards to be inconsistent from pack to pack?

Should I get bigger sleeves or should I just not use these and stay retail on my purchases in future?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
badge
Thank you, to whoever gifted me the Geek Citizenship Recognition badge! You're a pretty cool person, anonymous BGGer!
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought all of my core sets around the same time, but I also have noticed this size difference when I've mixed all the player cards from all of the sets together. Not really sure if it was a temporary thing or after a certain point the size changed for good or if it was just an error at certain points or what. I just know that some of my cards are definitely an ever-so-slightly different size like that.

It's very weird, but I sleeve my cards when I play so it has no affect on gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Most people always blame the card sleeve manufacturers when this happens. But I have noticed cards even in the same box that aren't always cut to the same dimensions. Sleeving helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Troutman
msg tools
mbmb
Just went to the card store. The guy there said they can differ between print runs, which makes sense. If that's true, then I might run into this problem later if I don't get docent sleeves now.

I wanted clear KMC HyperMats but the local store didn't have any in clear so I got clear Dragon Shields.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene Jiang
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I, too, am annoyed by the inconsistent card sizes. I find it ridiculous that buying sleeves is almost an expected thing when playing some card games now. It's even mentioned in the nightmare decks because the card stock is different. What the hell is going on with FFG? I can't speak for the other FFG LCGs out there since I don't play them, but aren't they supposed to be one of the biggest board game companies out there, and yet, can't manage to find printers who use the same card stock or get the cards cut the same size? Look at games like Thunderstone or Mage Wars. They have several expansions out and their card sizes are the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PoVPoint wrote:
I, too, am annoyed by the inconsistent card sizes. I find it ridiculous that buying sleeves is almost an expected thing when playing some card games now. It's even mentioned in the nightmare decks because the card stock is different. What the hell is going on with FFG? I can't speak for the other FFG LCGs out there since I don't play them, but aren't they supposed to be one of the biggest board game companies out there, and yet, can't manage to find printers who use the same card stock or get the cards cut the same size? Look at games like Thunderstone or Mage Wars. They have several expansions out and their card sizes are the same.

The short answer is that there tend to be changes in print manufacturers. FFG does not print all of their cards at the same time, they do multiple runs, because it's cheaper for them. Once stock goes out, they go back to printing. That may introduce some size differences.

As far as nightmare decks, those are done in smaller runs (because they assume that not as many will sell/be given away). The same goes for their promo cards in game night kits. The quality is different, so sleeves are basically required.

Even then, different print runs may result in different card sizes. I know that's an issue with the 1st and 2nd run of the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game...so it's not just an FFG thing...

As far as card sizes go...pro-fit sleeves are the problem here, as they don't allow for size variation due to their tighter fit. Regular sleeves would work fine for all cards, in this case. (i know it's not the answer most people want to hear, and I can't blame them. I also wish all print runs were cut to the same size and had the same print quality, but it's not the case here)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Jacksonville Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or... just don't sleeve your cards at all. I don't. Games are meant to be played, not be pristine.

I mean, if your worried about analyzing your deck, looking for cards that stand out a little, then playing your hand with the expectation a certain card draw could happen......your not having fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
mdrog2 wrote:
Or... just don't sleeve your cards at all. I don't. Games are meant to be played, not be pristine.

I mean, if your worried about analyzing your deck, looking for cards that stand out a little, then playing your hand with the expectation a certain card draw could happen......your not having fun!

Rather presumptuous of you. I have just as much fun with sleeved cards than unsleeved ones. There are many reasons to sleeve, keeping cards pristine just a minor one. Easier to shuffle for some; for those not sure if they want to keep it, better resale value; not having to worry about replacing the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
badge
Thank you, to whoever gifted me the Geek Citizenship Recognition badge! You're a pretty cool person, anonymous BGGer!
mbmbmbmbmb
fun-ness gauge aside, playing with these particular cards unsleeved is maybe a bad idea with the different card sizes. The slightly bigger cards will more likely get pulled to the top or bottom when you shuffle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Discussing the card size inconsistency aside, if the concern is the "bowing" of the cards from tighter fits, don't worry about it. If you were able to get the card in, it fits. Give it about a couple weeks to a month, and the sleeve will relax and stretch to rest comfortable flat against the card. Flatten them down under a stack of books if you want to speed up the process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Munn

Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
There are many reasons to sleeve, keeping cards pristine just a minor one. Easier to shuffle for some; for those not sure if they want to keep it, better resale value; not having to worry about replacing the game.

Another reason to sleeve is for proxying. Where I live, it can take me weeks between when a deck comes out and when I get it in my hands; in the meantime, I download card images from cardgamedb.com, print them out (on regular paper, nothing fancy), and sleeve them alongside a regular playing card (of the 52-card spades/hearts/diamonds/clubs variety) so that the sleeve will feel right when I shuffle. That way I get to use the cards I've ordered immediately in deckbuilding, instead of waiting until they FINALLY arrive. (Plus, it lets me put cards like Unexpected Courage or A Test of Will into every deck that needs them. Which is every Spirit-using deck, bar none.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Jacksonville Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely agree with the proxying of cards and sleeving to make sure they don't look ridiculous when added to the deck. I would love to have 3 Unexpected Courages in a deck.

I know it’s technically legal based on card count and rules, but I wonder if you are really truly supposed to be able to include multiple copies that were only provided as 1 card in a core set? I'm not trying to go against the deck building in this game, but you would think they would have included multiple copies in 1 core, if they intend for you to use multiple copies? Unless they want people to spend money...which I find so hard to believe.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Troutman
msg tools
mbmb
mdrog2 wrote:
Unless they want people to spend money...which I find so hard to believe.....

Not sure if serious.

FFG has gone on record to say that, to keep the cost of a single core set down, they either could have printed a smaller variety of cards but more of each or else more variety and fewer of each, and they chose the latter. That doesn't, however, explain why they won't release an optional supplement pack that increases the number of all core cards to 3x.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.