Subject: Going to start buying rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Schmidt
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi.
I have been thinking about buying this game for a while and have finally decided to do it.

I come from the (please don't phase me) Star Wars X-wing game. Without getting into anything about what game is best or looks great or all of that, I wanna say that they both looks like great games.
The x-wing often left me with the feeling that I needed at least 2 or more of every ship to make these squadrons and so. I know the movies and that is about all, so I don't know anything about the great battles or fights and what nots to really go all in and buy that many multiple ships. I just get one of each to get the cards included. And this works great for me. I doo however have multiple TIE fighters and x-wings due to those 2 ships being included in the core set and being the most iconic ships for dogfights.

Sorry for that non Star Trek rant
All that being said and though I find the Sta Wars story interesting, I feel that the Star Trek universe offers so much more. And I can see where the x-wing is a dogfight game, Attack Wing is more like a fleet command battle game, with the crew and all. And this is what truely speaks to me. And if all that is needed is 1-2 core sets and 1 of each expansion then I can collect this game as well.

But in order to make that decision I need to know if someone with a lot of experience could please advice me in the following:

- which ships (if any) do I absolutely NEED to buy multiples of and if so how many? I don't wanna buy multiple of everything, I just can't afford that. But I could go for a few duplicates due to theme.

- can you play great/long/epic games with just 1 of each ship?

- any ships that I should avoid?

- do I get 1 or 2 core sets?

- I've heard a something about missions. Is that a big, small or 50/50 part of the game?

- can you play this game solo in any good way?

Sorry for all the questions. I feel like such a newb

Kind regs
Thomas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welsome! These kinds of questions get asked a lot around here actually ;-)

delta_angelfire wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNSS2CogzEY&t=41m26s

The way I always introduce players to the game - this is what I would recommend in order:

Inititial investment:
Starter Pack (Obviously) and Koranak

that gives you 4 relatively well matched ships that you can play against 2v2. You're also not as subliminaly encouraged to have one side play the matching faction ships and the other stuck with what's leftover. The range of different maneuvers is also about as wide as you can get and is great for teaching what kind of flying style you like to work with. The upgrades from the Koranak are also the most highly customizable I think with some of the best upgrades and solo captains in the game (Dukat I'd rank number 3 or 4, Evek in the top 10)

Further Investment (depending on what you find you like):
- Negh'var, Koraga, Valdore, Defiant, Bioship Alpha, Soong
(if you like the straight forward nature of the Vor'cha and direct combat. A lot of powerful cards here.)

- Enterprise (Original), Negh'var, Science Vessel, Kraxon, Voyager
(if you like the upgardes and tactics to make up for maneuverability you can get out of the Koranak or Enterprise-D. Also has the most "support your allies" kind of ships and cards.)

- Miranda Class, Excelsior Class, Praetus, Gor Portas, Vulcan D'Kyr
(if you like the good maneuverabiility of the D'Deridex and using tactics to make up for lack of raw firepower. These offer a good deal of "change the game" cards like Energy Dissipator, Cloaked Mines, I Stab at Thee, Transwarp Drive, etc.)

The Borg Sphere and Cube are different beasts altogether. It really changes the game compared to all the other ships, and in your situation would probably be better if you want to do some 2-on-1 matches or something. If you're not really looking to go competitive, I don't think it's the best recommendation.

I would not recommend the Enterprise Refit, 4th Division, 2nd Division Battle Cruiser, Equinox, 5th Wing, Gr'Roth, Kronos One, Somraw, Gal Ga'thong, Vo, Nistrim Raider, or Bajoran Interceptor until you've already got a good selection of the other ships.

On the subject of Multiples, 2-3 Koranaks is a favorite of mine and I have never regretted it at all. A second Voyager for the Voyager Drednought build is a possibility. You'll want Multiple Interceptors if you ever go that route. Otherwise a single of each is pretty much all you need now (including borg) and there's alot you can skip.

So, your other questions:

With one of each ship you'll have a lot of ships. ~3 Ships per player is definitely enough for some great games

2 was very nice not too long ago, but nowadays I think you're alright with just 1. The extra Dice pack coming out soon would be good though.

- I've heard a something about missions. Is that a big, small or 50/50 part of the game?
Every organized play event has a different scenario and the ecah ship comes with one as well. The OP scenarios are standardized fleet sizes, but the Mission ones can be all over the place (from 1v1 to 3 player co-op to 200 fleet point skirmishes). You can still play standard 1-on-1 dog fights as well, but Missions are really alot of fun and good practice, so probably more like 70-30 I'd say.

There are a couple decent 1 player mission scenarios, but like most games, it's way more fun to play with someone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome to the Trekkie fold. Nothing wrong with X-wing, it does a different vibe with the same ruleset.

- which ships (if any) do I absolutely NEED to buy multiples of and if so how many? I don't wanna buy multiple of everything, I just can't afford that. But I could go for a few duplicates due to theme.

NEED? None. None at all. There are a couple you might WANT to double up on for a particularly juicy upgrade, but generally speaking with the unique rules and the big premium "named" ships get over "generic," multiples give you diminishing returns.

Absolutely. Even just the starter will give you a few fun games, but you'll eventually want to expand.

That's not really necessary, and only one ship in the starter benefits much from being run in multiples, the other two are kind of dogs in their generic form. I'd just get one starter and maybe a dice set.

- any ships that I should avoid?
I'd say there are some you should prioritize- FREX if you're going to fill out your Romulans I'd save the Vo and Apnex for last. Not because they (and their contents) are useless, but because they have a support role and don't match well against the other ships without being part of a full fleet to support. None of the ships are irredeemable though.

I'd say big. Every expansion includes a mission themed on the ship it comes with, and every organized play tournament is a scenario loosely based on an episode of the show.

Of course you can always just line up some ships on each side, add obstacles and a planet token to taste, and have a simple punch-up.

There are a couple solo missions, offhand I know the Voyager and Enterprise Refit include solos. They're not bad, but not quite the same as playing with others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Gwyr
United States
Lakeside
California
flag msg tools
mb
@Panic:

What do you have against dogs?

Do you think dogs are underpowered against the Borg?

Are you saying WK should release dogs as a Con exclusive?
Maybe WK could offer them to those of us that already won one in OP in a special upgrade 'pack'.

I myself own multiple dogs but wish they had a higher Captain Rating.

One of my dogs arrived broken, but I was able to have him fixed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corrosion wrote:
@Panic:

What do you have against dogs?

Do you think dogs are underpowered against the Borg?

Are you saying WK should release dogs as a Con exclusive?

I myself own multiple dogs but wish they had a higher Captain Rating.

That episode where Archer's dumb dog got sick basically assassinated his already bland and unlikable character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Schmidt
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you everyone for your replies. They where all usefull and helped me in exactly the way I needed.

I will now go and begin collecting this great game.

"Make it so"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
corrosion wrote:

Poor boy, is he still walking funny?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
erick lee
Canada
flag msg tools
In addition to the starter set, I'd recommend the following to start, to give you at least 3 ships per faction:

Romulan: Valdore, and Gal'Gathong. The Valdore gives a great captain, and is a good option to the (IMHO) under-performing D'deridex that comes with the main set. The Gathong is a great light-weight puncher that help fills a void in the Romulan fleet and it has a nice torpedo mechanic. Also, an iconic ship.

Federation: Gotta have the original Enterprise. The crew is amazing, though the ship is just ok. The miniature is underwhelming to say the least. The Voyager (incredible ship, almost too good) and Defiant are also nice. Reliant is a nice lightweight if you need it. Lots of options for the Feds!

Klingon: The Koraga and Negh'var give you two great crew. Koraga is a nice middle-weight. Negh'var gives you the best captain the Klingons can offer. Avoid the Somraw.

Dominion: The Koranak is a staple of any Dominion fleet. The recent 2nd Division Cruiser is also a great addition, and IMHO is a better buy than the 4th Division Battleship (which is hampered by very poor maneuverability). For a third ship, I'd pick the reliable Kraxon, or if you're feeling adventurous, the Gor Portas for it's unique Energy Dissipator weapons.

Borg: Not too many games will allow a large enough point total to field 3 Borg vessels, so I'd pick up one Sphere and one Cube, or two spheres.

Vulcan: Only the D'Kyr available right now. It's like it, but starting out I'd take a pass on it. Not enough Vulcan upgrades to really flesh it out. T hough it has potential going forward as more Vulcans are released. If you're going to play cross-faction than maybe this isn't a factor, so go for it.

Bajoran Interceptor: The Bajoran intercepter is a great-looking model but has a bit of a limited role. Kinda fun to use.

Independent: Not many must buys here. Pass on the Nistrim Raider. I honestly don't know much about the Borg Soong other than it's a large beast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.