Popular Tags: [View All]
Gerry Daigle
United States
Goodyear
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering if it would be possible to add some kind of status as to a games production status or market availability to its information page. For example, a game like Targi is currently listed in the marketplace at $40. Is that because it is OOP or just currently unavailable? I have searched and haven't found anything on the games page to tell me the status of the game, and thought it would be something that could be implemented in the "More Information" or "Statistics" area. Listing this information would make buying games at price points easier for those of us who havent been in the hobby as long and could even be used to let people know when to expect re-releases of copies if that was incorporated in the implemenation.

Example:
Game Production Status: Out of Print or Production in work, Release scheduled for Aug 2014 or Limited Market Availibility

Something to allow people to know what the status is.

Just an idea I had to help people know what the status of a game was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hagaf22 wrote:
For example, a game like Targi is currently listed in the marketplace at $40. Is that because it is OOP or just currently unavailable?

It is neither OOP nor unavailable. amazon.de sells it for 11€.
Or do you want information about one specific version (from the 9 different versions known at BGG)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Daigle
United States
Goodyear
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not making reference to Targi specifically. I was using it as an example. As someone new to the hobby, I don't know when a game is OOP or just in between printings. I think it would be useful if it was part of a games information page. I had Targi as an example, but I was thinking the English edition, which is OOS on CSI and going for 70 new on amazon.com.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been suggested many times. It's something that would be very useful, but it's also something that's near impossible to do, due ot the following reasons:

1) Most games have many versions, from many publishers. It would need to be specified to version.
2) This is never official info; publishers don't leak their information that "we're reprinting this in March 2015", so we can't rely on the publishers. It would have to rely on very shaky third-hand information. User-based.
3) It's very hard to define what's "Out of Print" and what's "Between prints". Usually not even the publishers know.
4) The information is everything else than timeless. It changes ALL THE TIME, and outdated information is actually worse than no information at all.

The above combines into something that's spelled "no can do".

It can't be automatized, but you can always ask in each separate game's forum. You'll probably get a more reliable answer there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The word translated to "the sound of a thrown bucket hitting
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmbmb
Discussed in:

[FEATURE REQUEST] A way to see that a game is unpublished (yet)
Out of print game
OOP
An out-of-availability sounder?
Want a list of "Games Recently Out Of Print"
Adding an "Availability" Field to a Game Listing
Can you add "released / not released"? OR let us sort Advanced Search by game ID#
Print status of the games
Availability forum
Separate categories for games that are more or less available based on their distribution channels
Rarity factor
Out of print
Out-of-print indication anywhere?
Frequency of Games
A couple of BGG website suggestions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not against this but...

I suspect it would be very difficult for BGG to ensure that such info was up-to-date and correct.

Further out of print and unavailable of two not the same thing. For example Dust has been impossible to find for more than 2 years, yet my FLGS has had the same copy for years...

So there is a problem of how we define availability and what production actually means. EG games produced in Japan for the native market remain tricky to find in the USA or Europe.

More:

Quote:
OOP : It's a bit of an odd term (Schrodinger's board game). Board Games tend to always have short staggered print runs, the second the printers stop some argue that they go out of print, until hopefully the publisher decides demand is high enough to warrant another print run. Others argue that OOP means unavailable, others not widely available.

Currently Targi is not being printed so technically I suppose it is out of print, as it has been in the past.

I suppose Out of Production might be a more neutral term that doesn't come with the same baggage as 'out of print'.

I suppose the bottom line is get a copy while you can but I'd be surprised if it's going to be permanently out of production.

Then the gaming community will speak in hushed tones about how amazing Targi was and how stupid it is that it is not available. At which point the publisher will likely print off another 5k copies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.