Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Long
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello war gamers

In prior years as a G/T teacher in a middle school in VA,I have offered an after school game club. I will toot my own horn here and say that I also offer an intro to board game class that the students really enjoy. My students have play tested games for Academy games and VPG. (Shout out to Uwe at Academy, Alan at VPG, and the staff at GMT as well as Randy at Legion and DoW for their help )

So, this year instead of offering our after school game club. I would offer a war game club. But here is the kicker...what to call the club and still be politically correct and not offend any parents or not to drive away any potential students from entering this exciting world of war games?

Again, this is a middle school and most of the students that join are accelerated students that enjoy family/Euro designs. Since my background is in social studies/history, I wanted to teach a little history especially Napoleonic/AWoI history. So, I picked up C and C Nap, Nap War through some trades and own Hold the Line, Wash War and a few other games on this period. I also picked up via a great deal from DoW some Memoir 44 stuff. Thanks to all you folks out there that has given me this wonderful opportunity to teach history by gaming it out.

So, now looking for club suggestions as well as any info or ideas that would help make this club better than the last game clubs I have offered. We don't get any funding so this limits the ideas to "stuff" that I can do for basically free.

What name would be great for a club that offers this kind of gaming?

Thanks again for your support and contributions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill the Pill
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Historical Simulations Game Club
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
But here is the kicker...what to call the club and still be politically correct and not offend any parents or not to drive away any potential students from entering this exciting world of war games?

Call it Napalm the Hottentots.

Seriously, substitute "strategy" for "wargame" in the name. Yes, strategy and wargame mean two different things among BGG connoisseurs, but for your purposes it will be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
"Strategy", "Historical", and "Simulation" are your friend.

Don't forget to label any references to the ACW as, "The War of Northern Aggression."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruinrefugee
United States
Laguna Niguel
California
flag msg tools
Scottgun wrote:
Quote:
But here is the kicker...what to call the club and still be politically correct and not offend any parents or not to drive away any potential students from entering this exciting world of war games?

Call it Napalm the Hottentots.

Seriously, substitute "strategy" for "wargame" in the name. Yes, strategy and wargame mean two different things among BGG connoisseurs, but for your purposes it will be fine.

Do you have to have a name just yet? I can see the flyer, "History as Fun: Games, History and You!"

If you had to have a club title, maybe "Band of History Gamers"? Victory, One Era at a Time?

And re: the ACW, we could just call it "half-justice."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Powers
United States
Triangle
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First let me say that I wish my kids had gone to your school. I live in Triangle, just a bit south, so we didnt miss you by much (they went to Graham Park). Wish they had gone to your school, my oldest daughter is an avid gamer and wargamer and I am sure she would have enjoyed your club.

Thank you for what you are doing for the kids!

I have been trying to come up with a clever name, but the first poster suggested - Historical Simulations Game Club - and I can come up with nothing better.

Keep up the good work!
Bill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lucid
United States
Mountain House
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games of Conflict. feh.

Hey are all those dudes on your geekbadges related? That would explain some things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in the 80's our Chemistry teacher was in charge of our wargame club in HS. It was called the "Tactical Gamer's Society".

If you are looking for more game suggestions - maybe some basic block wargames, like War of 1812 or Quebec 1759 - tie in some American History?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Time Traveller's Society
The "What If" Club
The League of Counterfactual Investigators
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Long
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the suggestions. Want to thank everyone for posting.

Yes, I really like History Simulations Strategy Game Club, also like the idea of a publication to post on school web site and spread the word around the school.

Maybe the USS Game Club, I do work in a school close to Quantico. United Strategy Simulations Game Club.

Also forgot to give a huge shout out to designer Ben Hull. He spoke to our game designers a few years ago and was planning to speak at the end of school this year but I got too busy with standardized testing. Maybe he can make a return this upcoming year and talk about all his great designs including Won By the Sword.

Hi Bill, yes GPMS good school in PWC. I teach in Stafford County.

Bruinrefugee
Do you have to have a name just yet? I can see the flyer, "History as Fun: Games, History and You!"

I really like Bruins points.
Thanks again, yes my students have played the block game Liberty and also 1775: Rebellion plan on bringing them back.

thanks again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.