Sheldon Smith
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

I've been thinking about my concerns with Bruxelles: 1893 for quite some time now, and think I may have come up with a good solution to counteract the bidding mechanic problem (as well as bring the end-game bonuses and constructed buildings in balance).

Here are 3 proposed changes I plan on trying the next time we play:

(1) Decrease the VP bonus (from buildings) by 1 point on the architect track.

(2) Increase each tucked bonus card by 1 VP (zero point cards can be tucked for 1pt, 2pt cards can be tucked for 3pts, etc.)

(3) Impose a MAXIMUM bid of 6 money per worker! If a player wants to bid more money... he must place TWO workers to bid 7-12, and THREE workers to bid 13-18.

And yes, additional workers DO count for area majority VP's (but each box around the intersection must still be filled).

===

Item #3 above does not go against the "spirit of the game", since there is already a Keyflower-like mechanic for workers going into the Bruxelles board. So if a card is highly important, the player will have to really consider if it's really worth bidding high if it requires another worker (and loss of an action). I think with this type of system, the outrageous bids will "self-correct" and we should see a lot more nuance with toggling between unfavorable actions on the Bruxelles board vs. spending more money on key action spaces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not aware of any of this problems you are trying to fix... I see no problems with them... gameplay is fantastic and there are many viable paths to victory... a game extremely well balanced
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Smith
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For reference, please feel free to check out my post in the reviews section. I'm may be in the minority that has this opinion though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Evans
United States
Flintstone
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EyeInSky wrote:
I'm may be in the minority that has this opinion though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the game once, so these are first impressions, but I would agree with what you came to see Sheldon. Going buildings early seems like the obvious direction to set yourself up for bonus actions throughout the rest of the game; so extra actions + big VPs seems like a no-brainer. Also, turn order can play too heavy an influence in the bidding, and in our one 5P game, people didn't have a problem reloading with coins mid-turn and then winning a bid with a final heavy bid. By game end, we had a bid of 15 for a 2VP multiplier card.

Consequently, I really like idea #3, and I'd be interested in hearing if you've tried the game with any of your variants and how they went.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Smith
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind though, two things to consider...

Bidding 15 for a 2vp multiplier card also means you are nearly sacrificing 4 vps. Remember at game end you receive 1 vp for every 4 money!

So gaining a 2vp multiplier card means you are getting 2 MORE vp's per item of choice. Usually the item of choice is around "4" (+/- 1).

So you paid 4 vp's to gain 8 vp's (net gain 4 vp's). If the central ability is the architect track, perhaps you could have increased for 2 more vp's per building (and if you have... let's say 5-6 buildings it's an increase of 10-12 vps (netting 6-8).

Also, the game is NOT as "money tight" as people think. It's not difficult to tap your guys (including Georges) to gain money. It's not difficult to sell an art to gain money. It's also fairly easy to play the stock market to gain money. On top of this, you gain money for every unique color of art in your stock (and an additional $1 if you are first to pass).

The main issue I have with Bruxelles is the gameplay itself is very "tit for tat" in terms of how the scoring works, and in nearly all cases it's always best for the last player (if he has the funds) to simply pay $1 more money to exclude his opponents. The whole "tie" mechanic of sharing the middle benefit is rarely something worth considering. But if a player must pay TWO workers to bid more than 6 (and lose an action as a result), now THAT is something worth pondering over! :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
EyeInSky wrote:
(3) Impose a MAXIMUM bid of 6 money per worker! If a player wants to bid more money... he must place TWO workers to bid 7-12, and THREE workers to bid 13-18.
My version of this is – any player not winning the auction on a bonus card only pays 1FB per worker he has placed for the auction, he takes the rest of the money back at the end of the round.

Tried two times and so far, no suffering players, unlike with the "unviolated" game which I like by all aspects but the cutthroat bidding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.