Hide
24 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Cost per Point rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Matt
msg tools
New to war games and looking at Flames of war and/or Bolt action as my first games. I have a vague idea of what it will cost per miniature. but with-out owning any rule books its hard to tell how much it will cost to field an X point army. For example a minimum point and a basic point game. How would this change if I decide to go tank heavy with FoW?
Thanks,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Too much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your interest is WW II + Miniatures, I suggest you look into

World War II: Barbarossa 1941

which is a very cool wargame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Matt
msg tools
But how much $$$ will I have to drop for a basic point Game. I just need a ball-park average.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Hon
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only have the BA rules around. A typical rifleman is about 10 points, an average officer about 90, a 2-men MG team 50 points, a 8cm/3" mortar team also 50 points, and a typical late war medium tank about 200 or so. So a platoon of 25 men + an officer, a MG team and a mortar team, plus a tank will run you about 650 points. Obviously there are a lot of variation, but 750pt is quite typical for a BA game.

I've also heard that lately a lot of FoW players are also favoring a 750 point game with more emphasis on infantry, as it makes for a better game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also

Sergeants Miniatures Game: Day of Days

where the miniatures are already painted.

When you buy a box you know exactly what it will cost you to play the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
For Flames of War this site will help you build forces so you can gauge prices.

http://fowlists.blogspot.com/2012/03/welcome.html

Most FoW tournaments play 1500 or 1750 pts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Matt
msg tools
Thank you all, you have been most helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuukka
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PeteyWA wrote:
Yes.

Sulla 13 wrote:
Maybe.

ltmurnau wrote:
Too much!

Bunch of assholes who think they are funny. I hope this doesn't give you a wrong impression about the site.

I can't help you, but you might find more answers from the Flames of War: The World War II Miniatures Game forum. Just roll down the page and you'll find it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Matt,

The Bolt Action starter army packs are $128 US retail for a 1000-point army.

http://us-store.warlordgames.com/collections/bolt-action
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Matt
msg tools
Based off all the resources given in the previous posts and diligent combing of amazon I think I've come to an answer.

The Points to Dollar ratio for Bolt Action is 7.5:$1

Fow is 15.5:$1.

And if buying only tanks for Fow its 8:$1. all-most twice the cost.

Assuming my Fow calculation is correct it would cost $96-$187 to get a 1500 point starter army.

As Nicholas confirmed my math: It will take a min.$100 to reach a 750 point army. Although I would go the extra $28 and get the starter kit.
But I'm a special case as I have to double all these figures b/c I would be buying for my brother too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see the point in points/$ even if there were a good way to calculate it. Being an artificial construct, points don't directly translate between games, so using them as the link between games doesn't really make any sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j page
Canada
edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
You will find on the FoW forums a section dedicated to lists from 600 points to over 2000. From there you can determine what you might want to emulate and in the online store are all the MSRP to complete your calculations.

600, 1500, and 1750 are very common point sizes in FoW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Matt
msg tools
keethrax wrote:
I don't see the point in points/$ even if there were a good way to calculate it. Being an artificial construct, points don't directly translate between games, so using them as the link between games doesn't really make any sense.

The point is how much do i have to spend just to start playing. Because I'm buying for two, this is very important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously, i was not aware of the existence of Bolt Action.

After a bit of reading, I will definitely look into this game.

On the BGG site, some users suggest that one could start with very low-cost miniatures by companies like Revell at the 1/72 scale, and then order "real" miniatures once you are convinced the game is for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Marl
United States
Picksburd
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In calculating your cost you need to factor in the cost of terrain and painting materials. Then there is the time to assemble and paint your armies and build terrain. If you do this yourself it's free but if you pay someone else to do it because you don't have the time or skill, then it will cost you a lot more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each time I read threads about miniatures, I have myself wondering how come painted miniatures are so rare on the marketplace.

Who has the time to paint all these small objects ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheBestUsername wrote:
keethrax wrote:

The point is how much do i have to spend just to start playing. Because I'm buying for two, this is very important.

But that's not what you're measuring by looking at points/$.

Allow me to illustrate with a non-historical example:

I would consider a starter Warmachine army to be in the 15-35 point range. 35 points probably doesn't even get you a leader for your starter army in Warhammer, where a starter army is going to be well into the hundreds of points.

This is why you can't use points as the bridge between systems to compare costs. Points being an concept internal to a game system have no meaning outside of that particular system. What you are interested in is the cost of two starter armies. This has some sort of meaning. Points/$ of two different systems does not.

That said... points/$ *does* have some usefulness inside a system when looking at building your starter armies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bowler
Australia
Tennessee
flag msg tools
You have the cost of a bolt action starter army. For Flames of War for two people, you will need two of the 'Open Fire' starter boxes (at about $70 each). One player takes the allies from both boxes, the other player takes the Germans. With two boxes you can build 1500 point armies for both sides, which is the points level that most people play with.

The allied army will be mostly tanks, with a few infantry. Buy some appropriate Green Spray paint, and you are pretty much done. Note the Sherman tank is a bit of a pain to assemble -- there is a youtube video or a web site showing what you need to do (you need to trim a couple of the pieces so they all fit together nicely)

The German army will be mostly infantry. The figures are great, but if you don't feel like painting them you may want to get a couple of extra Tiger or Panther tanks -- they cost a lot of points, so a few tanks means you need to paint less other stuff. The German army is a lot harder to paint, with camouflage patterns etc. But you can spray paint the tanks the basic dark tan undercoat they used, and add the camouflage later.

Also note that you can use the 15mm figures in the open fire set to play Bolt Action as well. Personally, I think Bolt Action looks better in 15mm!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Hon
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nick Bowler wrote:
Also note that you can use the 15mm figures in the open fire set to play Bolt Action as well. Personally, I think Bolt Action looks better in 15mm!

Very strongly agreed. I think both FoW and BA look and play better if you drop one size down from the "official" figure size - 15mm for BA, 10mm or 6mm for FoW. It makes the weapons range more realistic compared with figure size. Not to mention it is much cheaper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taskforce 58 wrote:
Nick Bowler wrote:

Very strongly agreed. I think both FoW and BA look and play better if you drop one size down from the "official" figure size - 15mm for BA, 10mm or 6mm for FoW. It makes the weapons range more realistic compared with figure size. Not to mention it is much cheaper.

I do the same thing. Potentially limits your organized play options in the future though, so if that's remotely interesting, you may want to keep it in mind. Though I think 6mm is a bit too small for FoW, 10mm is nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
Have you seen Chain Of Command from Too Fat Lardies. Platoon level WWII action with some really interesting mechanics. You can buy the rules as a downloadable pdf. Get some cheap 1:76 figures and you are away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.