Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk Mathes
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like I'm going to have to pick up a mobile device to play this. Does anyone here know details about bluetooth? It looks like you need Bluetooth 4 LE for Golem Arcana, but I can't find any android tablets that have that. They only seem to have Bluetooth 4 (or lower). The smartphones have LE, but I really don't want to get a smartphone.
Is Bluetooth 4 compatible with LE if it doesn't specify it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
Artist: Shohei Otomo
mbmbmbmbmb
BT 4 is not necessarily LE if it doesn't specify, unfortunately.

I don't have a lot of experience on the Android side - unfortunately my first-gen Nexus 7 isn't officially supported... However, reports on the beta forum are that with Cyanogen and a BT LE Enabler app, it has been made to work with this model (as well as others that don't have the functionality out of the box).

I can't link into the beta forum, but there's a public discussion here that may also help:

http://www.eretsu.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3923

Hope you find something that works for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron M.
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would definitely encourage you to check the full spec sheet from the mobile device's manufacturer's page...seems a lot of the retailers just list "bluetooth 4.0" but the manufacturers seem more likely to specify whether the device is LE compatible or not. It's not a guarantee, but from the devices I looked at that *appears* to usually be the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
Artist: Shohei Otomo
mbmbmbmbmb
zesu_shadaban wrote:
I would definitely encourage you to check the full spec sheet from the mobile device's manufacturer's page...seems a lot of the retailers just list "bluetooth 4.0" but the manufacturers seem more likely to specify whether the device is LE compatible or not. It's not a guarantee, but from the devices I looked at that *appears* to usually be the case.

Definitely... Guess I could've been more clear: by "not necessarily LE if it doesn't specify" I also meant it COULD be... But you have to get details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wihtol
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Google (Nexus 5 and 7(2013 or later), HTC One and One (M8); Samsung Galaxy S4, Galaxy S5, and Note 3 + the Dell Venue 8

have all been confirmed to work. As mentioned my Nexus 2012 model works after you install Cyanogen (or root it and pay $10 for an app. I choose the free route.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Kraft
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any way an iPad2 will run with it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Markovich
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've run it on both a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 (7" version) and a Dell Venue 8 (once dell pushed out the Kit Kat update) without any problems. In fact, the Venue 8 has a Screen Cast option and I can (with an AllShare Cast Wireless Hub) broadcast the game to my 50" plasma.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Rob
United States
Carnation
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skudar wrote:
Is there any way an iPad2 will run with it?

The iPad2 only has Bluetooth 2.1
http://support.apple.com/kb/sp622

The iPad3 will support it as it has Bluetooth 4 LE and I am using that for my demos. Apple's spec page doesn't explicitly state LE but it is working wonderfully.

I thought I recalled somewhere someone mentioned all Bluetooth 4 was LE but the issue was that not all manufactures and or OS providers choose to enable or implement it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron M.
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
AgentOrange1 wrote:
I thought I recalled somewhere someone mentioned all Bluetooth 4 was LE but the issue was that not all manufactures and or OS providers choose to enable or implement it.

Far as I can tell, that seems to be the gist of it. If you look at the information provided directly by Bluetooth, they highlight the Low Energy as basically a hallmark feature of Bluetooth 4.0

That being said, it seems some of the device manufacturers, and in some cases service providers (for some of the phones) have opted to not have that Low Energy functionality active. It seems there are means to correct this, though these workarounds may result in voiding any warranty you may have remaining on the device.

My main recommendation is, try the list Joshua linked to above
(relinked here: http://www.eretsu.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3923.

I've spoken directly to the fellow who is maintaining that list, and he is VERY particular about what devices are changed to "Confirmed" so it's pretty much a sure thing that any of the "Confirmed" devices on that list WILL work (in some cases with caveats, as denoted next to the device name on the list). There's also a link in the comments for an app you can use with any existing Android devices you may have to confirm whether they are set up to support the Bluetooth LE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Stanford
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bluetooth 4.0 is Bluetooth LE, but if the OS doesn't have support for LE, it's not going to work. So you need Bluetooth 4.0 hardware, and iOS 5.0 (or higher) or Android 4.3 (or higher). If your device doesn't have both the required hardware and software, you're out of luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Mathes
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drengy wrote:
Bluetooth 4.0 is Bluetooth LE, but if the OS doesn't have support for LE, it's not going to work. So you need Bluetooth 4.0 hardware, and iOS 5.0 (or higher) or Android 4.3 (or higher). If your device doesn't have both the required hardware and software, you're out of luck.

Thank you! This is the most clear it's been put to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron M.
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
NavyLock wrote:
This might be a dumb question, but how do I tell the difference between my Nexus models?

That's actually a fantastic question, because that very same question came up from one of the other beta testers. Easiest way to know for sure is to go into the settings, and the section labeled "About Phone" (or something similar, may actually just be "About" or "About Device") and look for the model number. If you do a quick google search for that model number and what type of device you have (nexus 5, nexus 7, etc.) it should come right up with results verifying which model year yours is considered (sorry, would look ip the model numbers for you but don't have access to an actual computer and my phone is a pain for searching on/running multiple tabs )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.