Popular Tags: [View All]
Walt Mueller
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inevitable, I suppose…

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1016374822/everything-a...

The ONLY thing I don't have out of this whole collection is the Medina Buildings (Queenie #2). I haven't heard of this before so I suppose it's brand new. Hopefully this will be available separately at the BGG store (like the Magical Buildings are).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice thanks for the heads up. I only have the base game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
I am from Taiwan.
badge
This is my wife.
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the general consensus for both Alhambra and Fresco is that the base game is pretty much the best part of the game and the expansions just add unnecessary complexity to them. I could be wrong though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I dispute "everything" since it doesn't include Granada.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
porkchop_tw wrote:
I thought the general consensus for both Alhambra and Fresco is that the base game is pretty much the best part of the game and the expansions just add unnecessary complexity to them. I could be wrong though.

I don't know about general consensus, but I think some of the Alhambra expansions are worthwhile, e.g. Viziers. I think after the first two or three sets they did get rather baroque.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tool wrote:
porkchop_tw wrote:

I don't know about general consensus, but I think some of the Alhambra expansions are worthwhile, e.g. Viziers. I think after the first two or three sets they did get rather baroque.

I don't share this opinion as stated.

The quality of the expansions is not a function of how recently they were published (older being better as stated above).

I tend to think of the expansions in terms of the individual elements they bring (each one does contain four modular expansions after all). For example, the treasure chamber from #4 is typically well regarded.

If one wants to examine it from the level of a "set" (the box that includes the four modules) then based on BGG avg. ratings it would be (from best to worst) 4,2,3,5,1

This certainly doesn't follow the pattern that the first expansion was the best and the most recent was the worst.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
porkchop_tw wrote:

I can't speak to Fresco.

Alhambra without some of the expansions is a pretty vanilla experience, like Carcassonne without expansions.

Alhambra with a few (maybe 2 or 3) carefully selected modules can be great as it opens up possibilities for more interesting play. Like Carcassonne some expansions are better than others.

I think the real trick with Alhambra is to avoid playing with a lot of players. The 4p game is o.k., but not my preference (2p or 3p is what I like). 5p and 6p is a chaotic mess that turns into a purely tactical affair because the game state (both currency and buildings) will completely change between one players turn and their next turn (plus with 5 and 6 it out stays its welcome).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Hovland
United States
Santa Clarita
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bah! I just bought the Big Box with the Escape KS, haven't even played the game and I want to super expand it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt Mueller
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tool wrote:

It does include Granada. If you look in the lower left corner of the "Special Edition" box, you can see it. Although it does not list Granada in the image at the top of the page, if you scroll down further, it IS listed in the "What is in the Alhambra Big Box Special Edition" image. They should fix the image at the top of the page to include Granada in the list.

Now, technically, since the "Troisdorf" version is not included, you could still argue that's it's not really "everything". But since that was such a limited release, it's probably not fair to count that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I already own the BB, falconers, Queenie #1 and the card game.

Could anyone who backed this please ask if Queenie #2 will become available separately at the geekstore? It would be really appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chaos is a ladder
mbmbmbmbmb
porkchop_tw wrote:

The expansions to Alhambra (for the most part) add nice changes to the game, and I typically rotate in/out expansions when I play - but the base game is solid enough to stand on its own. In terms of Fresco, I can't imagine playing the game without the expansions - I don't play with all of them at the same time, but some are just a necessity to enhance the gaming experience (1,2,3 are mandatory when I play).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S.
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eastwood wrote:
In terms of Fresco, I can't imagine playing the game without the expansions - I don't play with all of them at the same time, but some are just a necessity to enhance the gaming experience (1,2,3 are mandatory when I play).

It's important to add that Modules 1, 2, and 3 are already included in regular (non-Big Box) Fresco.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X X
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will probably end up chipping in for the $38 just to get the board and lion fountains. I would chip in more but the no names on the tiles just kill it for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
astrostasis wrote:
I will probably end up chipping in for the $38 just to get the board and lion fountains. I would chip in more but the no names on the tiles just kill it for me.

Can you or someone else point to where this is stated in the campaign? I couldn't find it. Just what tiles are affected? Just the tiles in the Big Box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
astrostasis wrote:
I will probably end up chipping in for the $38 just to get the board and lion fountains.

What's the point of the double sided board? (unless it's in a package with both Alhambra and Granada)

If I only have Alhambra what's the use of the Granada side? If you have both then why would anyone need another board for either?

From the KS:

Quote:
one two-sided game board from Alhambra the base game and Granada

and

Quote:
The two-sided game board can be used for Alhambra and Granada to enhance the experience.

Enhance the experience how?

Since I already own the Big Box the $38 BFF level doesn't actually look like a bad value:

$17 is the price for the Falconers via CSI
$5 Magical Buildings in the Geek Store
$5 Likely cost of the Medina tiles if they hit the Geek Store

That's $27 which would leave a cost of $11 for the wooden Lion Fountains which doesn't seem unreasonable.

Still have no idea what the value of the double sided board is though as a separate bonus so I'm leaving that out of the valuation altogether for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jānis Rudzītis
Latvia
Jūrmala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, I think that it will be widely available.
I saw last year that "Queen games" offered all their Queenies during the "Spiel 2013".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tool wrote:
"Brand Extension" was the term I learned in a marketing class; promote a new product by linking it to a successful one. I have always thought any efforts made to connect these two were very weak. I don't have my box to look at right now but my memory is that it says nothing (which helped form my conclusion).

BGG declared ownership
Alhambra 16237
Granada 472

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
porkchop_tw wrote:

Its like Carcassonne, I always use some expansions and never use others. I got the old Big Box edition so I'm good, although it wouldn't hurt to bring this back to the table again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X X
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
travvller wrote:
astrostasis wrote:

Can you or someone else point to where this is stated in the campaign? I couldn't find it. Just what tiles are affected? Just the tiles in the Big Box?

The newest editions of alhambra (not sure starting when but i know the family and big box are included) no longer have the text on them (arcades, towers etc) they are just colors and diamonds in the name slot).

NuMystic wrote:
astrostasis wrote:
I will probably end up chipping in for the $38 just to get the board and lion fountains.

What's the point of the double sided board? (unless it's in a package with both Alhambra and Granada)

If I only have Alhambra what's the use of the Granada side? If you have both then why would anyone need another board for either?

I don't own Alhambra and I haven't bought it yet because I want the stuff that is included in the anniversary edt which seems to be impossible to find. For me the $38 will go a long way because then all i have to do is buy a base older edt of alhambra with the named tiles and I am all set. what ever the other side of the board is for probably won't get any use from me unless i get Granada.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tool wrote:
What do you mean by "it"? I do see Granada as part of the Special Edition package, pledge level $85.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
astrostasis wrote:
The newest editions of alhambra (not sure starting when but i know the family and big box are included) no longer have the text on them (arcades, towers etc) they are just colors and diamonds in the name slot).

What's your objection to the replacement of the words with colors and icons for differentiation? I'm generally delighted for my games to be language independent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The names on the tiles are fun for our group because it's much more thematic to place gardens and towers and whatnot instead of green tiles or tiles with three dots or whatever. I bought the alhambra big box to get these named tiles. Note that the scoring tiles and cards from my big box do NOT list the building names.

I also bought the family box (which I believe is only international release). It does not have named tiles, but includes Granada (and the double sided board). We have not played Granada yet, but I can tell you that the difference between the boards is that the Granada side has a small toggle space on the board that you move a counter between on alternating rounds to indicate odds or evens. The rest of the board has different art, but identical functionality, so technically you could use either side for either game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X X
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
takes me out of the theme even if they werent in english i would be ok with it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
astrostasis wrote:

What's your objection to the replacement of the words with colors and icons for differentiation? I'm generally delighted for my games to be language independent.

The tiles with words also have the colors. So it's still language independent even with the words.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
travvller wrote:
NuMystic wrote:
astrostasis wrote:

The tiles with words also have the colors. So it's still language independent even with the words.

I get that, but the reason publishers do things like this is so the same pieces can be used in all their international editions. My point was that I personally prefer as little writing as possible, but I can see now why C H and others might feel otherwise. For me representational art would make the tiles feel more thematic, labeled words don't add to that experience for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.