1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » PBEM » Werewolf

Subject: The Mod-Mod Squad! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Alright, I'm sure most of us have seen this story before, right?
Quote:
Rebecca and Gary
English 44A
Creative Writing
Prof Miller

In-class Assignment for Wednesday

Today we will experiment with a new form called the tandem story. The process is simple. Each person will pair off with the person sitting to his or her immediate right. One of you will then write the first paragraph of a short story. The partner will read the first paragraph and then add another paragraph to the story. The first person will then add a third paragraph, and so on back and forth. Remember to reread what has been written each time in order to keep the story coherent. The story is over when both agree a conclusion has been reached.

At first, Laurie couldn't decide which kind of tea she wanted. The camomile, which used to be her favorite for lazy evenings at home, now reminded her too much of Carl, who once said, in happier times, that he liked camomile. But she felt she must now, at all costs, keep her mind off Carl. His possessiveness was suffocating, and if she thought about him too much her asthma started acting up again. So camomile was out of the question.

Meanwhile, Advance Sergeant Carl Harris, leader of the attack squadron now in orbit over Skylon 4, had more important things to think about than the neuroses of an air-headed bimbo named Laurie with whom he had spent one sweaty night over a year ago. "A.S. Harris to Geostation 17," he said into his transgalactic communicator. "Polar orbit established. No sign of resistance so far..." But before he could sign off a bluish particle beam flashed out of nowhere and blasted a hole through his ship's cargo bay. The jolt from the direct hit sent him flying out of his seat and across the cockpit.

He bumped his head and died almost immediately, but not before he felt one last pang of regret for psychically brutalizing the one woman who had ever had feelings for him. Soon afterwards, Earth stopped its pointless hostilities towards the peaceful farmers of Skylon 4. "Congress Passes Law Permanently Abolishing War and Space Travel," Laurie read in her newspaper one morning. The news simultaneously excited her and bored her. She stared out the window, dreaming of her youth — when the days had passed unhurriedly and carefree, with no newspapers to read, no television to distract her from her sense of innocent wonder at all the beautiful things around her. "Why must one lose one's innocence to become a woman?" she pondered wistfully.

Little did she know, but she has less than 10 seconds to live. Thousands of miles above the city, the Anu'udrian mothership launched the first of its lithium fusion missiles. The dim-witted wimpy peaceniks who pushed the Unilateral Aerospace Disarmament Treaty through Congress had left Earth a defenseless target for the hostile alien empires who were determined to destroy the human race. Within two hours after the passage of the treaty the Anu'udrian ships were on course for Earth, carrying enough firepower to pulverize the entire planet. With no one to stop them they swiftly initiated their diabolical plan. The lithium fusion missile entered the atmosphere unimpeded. The President, in his top-secret mobile submarine headquarters on the ocean floor off the coast of Guam, felt the inconceivably massive explosion which vaporized Laurie and 85 million other Americans. The President slammed his fist on the conference table. "We can't allow this! I'm going to veto that treaty! Let's blow 'em out of the sky!"

This is absurd. I refuse to continue this mockery of literature. My writing partner is a violent, chauvinistic, semi-literate adolescent.

Yeah? Well, you're a self-centered tedious neurotic whose attempts at writing are the literary equivalent of Valium.

You total $*&.

Stupid %&#$!.

I know that some of the younger players have limited exposure to the senior moderators (I'm looking at time served, not games moderated). It's probably very safe to assume that the majority of this distance is not due to personal reasons, but rather, due to a disparity in comfort zones.

For example: Melriken used to run Clue. The last one was a 27 player game that filled in less than three days, but more than half of those players have stepped back from current Werewolf. But if he came back tomorrow and prepped another Clue game, how fast would it fill? Days? Or would it even be hours?

The complexity of the games increased as the players got used to the "same ol'". And now, many of the veterans will jump willingly back into one of the more complex games run by a moderator that they know and trust. The junior players ... while they do join, it's not as fast and it's not as unflinchingly.

I'd like to work to fix part of that. Not with the complexity, but with the familiarity. To that end, I would like to try starting what I am going to call "The Mod-Mod Squad" series of games.

Details:
1. Each game will be Mod-Mod: Game Name
2. Each game will be designed to finish in a single week.
3. Each game will have TWO moderators.
4. Ideally, every player, when they sign up, will geekmail a flavor that they'd like - even if that flavor is "generic / neutral". Once the game is in sign-up, each moderator will random out his/her own flavor for the game.
5. Each moderator will get one of dusk / dawn, as determined by a RNG prior to game. They are to get a set amount of time to write flavor posts. (Of course, pre-writing flavor is obviously permissible, even if it's cheesy.)
6. Both moderators will be encouraged to interact in the modchats / dead chat / etc., whatever.
7. Neither moderator will "win", although players will not be restricted from making preferential comments. Hell, it's just a game.

Like I said, this initiative is not meant to introduce players to Extreme games or anything. I suspect most of the games will be 13ers or less (except in rare instances) - see Detail 2.

So, this thread is not a game. This thread is the announcement for a series of games.
If any other moderator is willing to share moderating duties with me, please, speak up. Heck, I won't beat around the bush, not everyone likes me. I'm fine with that. But I'm not trying to be your friend - I just want to have fun moderating with other folks.

Any other moderator interested in trying this out?* If so, say so in thread, and we can hash out the "what roleset should we run?"

*Note, this series is not meant to mentor new moderators. Please see the Hi# series of games if you would like to learn how to moderate. This series is basically intended to have two moderators sharing a relaxed game of storytelling.

Moderators Interested:
nolemonplease
Phelanpt
BlackSheep
LudesFactor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lemon
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Who took the Bomp from the Bompalompalomp? Who took the Ram from the Ramalamading dong?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in.

For whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Did you actually READ this before posting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lemon
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Who took the Bomp from the Bompalompalomp? Who took the Ram from the Ramalamading dong?
mbmbmbmbmb
linguistfromhell wrote:
Did you actually READ this before posting? :p

I skimmed! =P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Likens
United States
Cornelius
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not entirely sure of your purpose in doing this. Is it to have a senior mod and a newer mod work together to get to know each other better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lemon
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
linguistfromhell wrote:
I know that some of the younger players have limited exposure to the senior moderators (I'm looking at time served, not games moderated). It's probably very safe to assume that the majority of this distance is not due to personal reasons, but rather, due to a disparity in comfort zones.

[example]

The complexity of the games increased as the players got used to the "same ol'". And now, many of the veterans will jump willingly back into one of the more complex games run by a moderator that they know and trust. The junior players ... while they do join, it's not as fast and it's not as unflinchingly.

This bit right here describes an issue that was talked about in another "state of the union" type thread. Some of the senior moderators aren't getting games filled, and it was a question of if it's because the newer players don't know them or their games very well.

So (as I understand it), it's about connecting senior moderators with junior players, and junior moderators with senior players.

It might not be a solution to anything. But co-modding is fun. Playing Werewolf is fun. It certainly can't hurt. So, I'm in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Sorry, was uh ... actually in the middle of moderating something.
... LOL.

Anyway, as Lemon grabbed, the biggest reason for this thread is to get players who aren't used to each other together, by bringing together moderators who have different "audiences" for their games.

I could run off a dozen moderators who run AMAZING games (hearsay, but trust me), but their games aren't filling the way they used to. Maybe that's because the last few times they were played, it was just a perfect storm for signups. But just as likely, it's because some of the newer players look and go "I don't know half these people, and it's high complexity? Meh, maybe not."

And meanwhile, the vets look back at the more routine games (yes, even my Hi series) and typically go "eh, it's just the same ol' thing, and it's not like any of my pals are there."

Yes, this is kind of stereotypical. But it's not meant to be derogatory. People have comfort zones. It's a fact of life. I am trying to push those boundaries and get them more involved with each other.

Why not, right? Hell, if two moderators want to run this idea together, I'll do all of the legwork to get everything running and the two of you can be crazy together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
linguistfromhell wrote:
Hell, if two moderators want to run this idea together, I'll do all of the legwork to get everything running and the two of you can be crazy together.
Obviously with the intent of two moderators who don't tend to run games together. Lemon and one of her 2R1B buddies ... not quite as useful. Same thing with Belash and Miraria.

... That's not a hit on either of those pairs - it just kind of defeats the purpose of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In. This looks fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Alrighty. Lemon, whatcha wanna run? A 9er? 11? And when? Dusk at 7? I know you like nights, but I can't really do dawn much after 8 or 9 at the latest.

Phel. Same questions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Likens
United States
Cornelius
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like your motivation behind your idea Linguist and I think it sounds like a good idea for some people.

For me personally, I will not be participating for various reasons. One, my time is limited anyway, so if I am going to mod something it will be something I'm passionate about. Two, your setup is too rigid for my tastes and if I were to co-mod a basic game to achieve the same goal as you're motivated by, I would run one of my simpler style games or co-create a game with someone else.

Nevertheless, hat's off to you and keep up the good work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
I appreciate it. Thanks. Can't even say that it'll do much good, but there's no harm in trying, right?

I'm curious what you mean about the 'too rigid' part. Do you mean by wanting to keep the game to a single week with flavor? Or do you just mean by starting with the basic 9er or P11? I don't have a particular attachment to those, they are just commonly run so they're easy to reference.

Bottom line, there is certainly no requirement to run games under this umbrella / initiative. I'm just trying to encourage folks who aren't used to some things to give it a try in a 'safe' game. Heh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
linguistfromhell wrote:
Alrighty. Lemon, whatcha wanna run? A 9er? 11? And when? Dusk at 7? I know you like nights, but I can't really do dawn much after 8 or 9 at the latest.

Phel. Same questions?
Latest dawn I can do is 6 PM BGG. Earliest would be 6-7 AM bgg.

No preference on game to run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
I haven't seen Rangers in a while. Want to pull the RR set off the shelf for a go?

I can go for any time between those, I suppose, although afternoon is better. 2-3?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lemon
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
linguistfromhell wrote:
I haven't seen Rangers in a while. Want to pull the RR set off the shelf for a go?

I can go for any time between those, I suppose, although afternoon is better. 2-3?

I love that idea, linguist.

Earliest I will probably be available to commit to this is after GenCon. So in a little under a month?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
nolemonplease wrote:
linguistfromhell wrote:

Earliest I will probably be available to commit to this is after GenCon. So in a little under a month?

Oh. blush I was, uh, actually replying to Phelan.

But assuming Rangers doesn't come back in the meantime, sure, that would be great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lemon
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
linguistfromhell wrote:
nolemonplease wrote:
linguistfromhell wrote:

Oh. :blush: I was, uh, actually replying to Phelan.

But assuming Rangers doesn't come back in the meantime, sure, that would be great!

LOL. Fine. =P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
nolemonplease wrote:
linguistfromhell wrote:
nolemonplease wrote:
linguistfromhell wrote:

Oh. blush I was, uh, actually replying to Phelan.

LOL. Fine. =P

What? I said that would be great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
linguistfromhell wrote:

Sure. I'm not sure if the two of us count as "different audiences" mods, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Phelanpt wrote:
linguistfromhell wrote:

Sure. I'm not sure if the two of us count as "different audiences" mods, though.
Shrug.

Confirm the system works.
Continue to pull in more moderators.
Eventually, hit extremes in audiences / experiences.
Start round-robin'ing moderators pairings.
???
Profit (with more interaction amongst all players and more players ... hopefully)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I might be able to co-mod something in a couple of weeks when my schedule calms down. Lemon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm vaguely intrigued/interested in this, but anything would have to wait until probably Fall for me to be able to commit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lemon
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSheep wrote:
I might be able to co-mod something in a couple of weeks when my schedule calms down. Lemon?

Totally down! I get back from GenCon on August 17.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Phelan, how about running a P11 where the sorcultist is an uninformed mimic, gets a view of a random wolf/villager?

I'm also toying with the idea of making the evil aux and one random good special tough for N1 only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
linguistfromhell wrote:
Phelan, how about running a P11 where the sorcultist is an uninformed mimic, gets a view of a random wolf/villager?

I'm also toying with the idea of making the evil aux and one random good special tough for N1 only.
First one I think I already said something in geekmail? If not, I thought I did: mimic is not P11 beginner friendly due to paranoia, could be balanced for more experienced players? I was thinking no N0 view. not sure. Will have to think when more sleep.

N1 toughs have been done before(by tommy and me, at least), I think it's a cool idea.

Let me get a more rested head and I'll say something tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.