Popular Tags: [View All]
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hurray! Late spring cleaning turned up a lost Amazon gift card from 2 b’days ago laugh

So....I would appreciate your recommendations. My core group ranges from 3 to 5 players.

Please have a look at my collection. What am I missing?

- less downtime would be better
- medium to high interaction or at least no multi-player solitaire, unless there is little to no downtime
- plays 60 to 90 mins
- low luck (or good ability to compensate)
- not gateway

Also, would appreciate views on a few games that I am considering.

Thank you!

Nations
Eclipse
Prosperity
Trajan
Terra Mystica
CO₂
Myrmes

EDIT: Typo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chaos is a ladder
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok - so I own or have played all on your list except for Myrmes and Prosperity.

Co2 would be my first pick for you. Highly interactive, great gameplay, fairly heavy, good solo mode, and is one of the most unique games I've played.

Nations is also very good and is a great experience to play with 3-4 people and has a VERY good solo mode as well. This is medium interaction and you can screw over people pretty good in the game (which I'm usually the one that has the issue, nonetheless it's enjoyable)

Eclipse is also an excellent game, but doesn't hit the table as often for me. I like the tech tree and the sci-fi theme, not to mention dice rolling - but if you're adverse to luck I'd pass on this.

IMO Terra Mystica is fun, but overrated for gameplay. Interaction is fairly low, although there are times where you are able to block opponents effectively. It's a game I'd play if suggested, but not one I'd add to my collection, or even ask for.

Trajan is a great game, but interaction is essentially 0. There's a minimal amount of interaction when you're trying to control territory or rushing to ship goods / get tiles from the forum, but there's usually enough choices where this doesn't matter all that much. I do love the game, but if you're looking for interaction, look elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eastwoodk wrote:
Ok - so I own or have played all on your list except for Myrmes and Prosperity.

Co2 would be my first pick for you. Highly interactive, great gameplay, fairly heavy, good solo mode, and is one of the most unique games I've played.

Nations is also very good and is a great experience to play with 3-4 people and has a VERY good solo mode as well. This is medium interaction and you can screw over people pretty good in the game (which I'm usually the one that has the issue, nonetheless it's enjoyable)

Eclipse is also an excellent game, but doesn't hit the table as often for me. I like the tech tree and the sci-fi theme, not to mention dice rolling - but if you're adverse to luck I'd pass on this.

IMO Terra Mystica is fun, but overrated for gameplay. Interaction is fairly low, although there are times where you are able to block opponents effectively. It's a game I'd play if suggested, but not one I'd add to my collection, or even ask for.

Trajan is a great game, but interaction is essentially 0. There's a minimal amount of interaction when you're trying to control territory or rushing to ship goods / get tiles from the forum, but there's usually enough choices where this doesn't matter all that much. I do love the game, but if you're looking for interaction, look elsewhere.

Thank you for taking the time this very helpful. CO2 is one that I have had my eye on for a while. With 3+ is Nation or Eclipse playable in less than 2 hrs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nations is going to take about 30 minutes per player after you have it down, so it may not be as short as you're looking for, though it is fairly short for a Civ game. I can play 2p games in right around an hour, and 90-120 minutes with 3.

Trajan is the only other game you've listed that I've played, and I really enjoy it. It should clock in at under 2 hours, even with the full amount of players, and there are a lot of things to score you points in the game that can be fun and interesting to pursue.

I will say though both games don't have a very high degree of interaction. Once you get to know Nations well enough, there is certainly some competition for architects and military, but otherwise both games are pretty much multiplayer solitaire. Downtime is pretty low though since everyone takes an action in both games before play proceeds to the next person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope I'm not being a wet blanket, but do you need to verify the gift card still has its value?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bltzlfsk wrote:
I hope I'm not being a wet blanket, but do you need to verify the gift card still has its value?

Yup. The card is good meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would avoid Prosperity as it is one of the most boring games I have ever played. Just to give you some perspective: most of the games I play are euros.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
I would avoid Prosperity as it is one of the most boring games I have ever played. Just to give you some perspective: most of the games I play are euros.

Thanks I appreciate the comment and the context.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
newkillerstar27 wrote:
Nations is going to take about 30 minutes per player after you have it down, so it may not be as short as you're looking for, though it is fairly short for a Civ game. I can play 2p games in right around an hour, and 90-120 minutes with 3.

Trajan is the only other game you've listed that I've played, and I really enjoy it. It should clock in at under 2 hours, even with the full amount of players, and there are a lot of things to score you points in the game that can be fun and interesting to pursue.

I will say though both games don't have a very high degree of interaction. Once you get to know Nations well enough, there is certainly some competition for architects and military, but otherwise both games are pretty much multiplayer solitaire. Downtime is pretty low though since everyone takes an action in both games before play proceeds to the next person.

Excellent information. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I wanted to let you know that I decided to purchase CO₂, Myrmes and Trajan. I realize that Trajan does not deliver on the interaction I was looking for but given the reviews, the game's many strengths, and how well it resonates with our family's gaming interests, I am confident this is a solid choice that we will enjoy.

Thanks Kevin, Michael, and David for taking the time to provide very helpful comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.