Subject: FedEx being charged with drug trafficking rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the Internet Drug Companies being pursued by the DEA also or is FedEx the only company being persecuted here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
If and when the DEA ponies up a list of confirmed illegal, not just suspected, online pharmacies and their physical shipping addresses, Fed Ex should have to comply with the request to not ship their stuff into the US.

Until then, I hope they defeat this in court.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is my understanding that FedEx is a non-union operation related to its drivers. It is a fact that UPS is a union operation related to its drivers. It is also a fact that currently, all "Express" and "Overnight" mail shipped by the USPS is actually "third-party" shipped by FedEx on behalf of the USPS.

Could this be the federal unions that are part of the USPS pushing the DEA/FDA (and I am sure with some implicit permission of the DOJ) to "shut down" those non-union bastards at FedEx so that the unionized UPS can take over the USPS third party operations?

/tin foil hat off...

Of course, I am also not surprised that the heavy-handed tactics of the DEA is to go after the guys they know they can go after (the "big" delivery guys) rather than each individual drug dealer/internet pharma. It's the easy way out for the DEA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good, if they were engaging (and knew they wre) in illegal activities they should be charged, just a shame you cannot jail a company.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig McRoberts
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Good, if they were engaging (and knew they wre) in illegal activities they should be charged, just a shame you cannot jail a company.

Why not? They're people, right? *ducks*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
bjlillo wrote:

Well, what the indictment doesn't tell you is that FedEx has asked the DEA for a list of companies that the should refuse service and DEA has been unwilling to do so.

Quote:
"We have repeatedly requested that the government provide us a list of online pharmacies engaging in illegal activity," he said. "Whenever DEA provides us a list of pharmacies engaging in illegal activity, we will turn off shipping for those companies immediately. So far the government has declined to provide such a list."

At least two news articles say that there are TWO online pharmacies involved.

http://www.newschannel9.com/news/top-stories/stories/fedex-i...

So what is FedEx exactly whining about? Presumably they know exactly which two internet pharmacies they set up special credit policies for. They are being indicted partly on conspiracy charges. And yet, FedEx is really seriously trying to claim they don't know who they are conspiring with? It strains all credibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisnd wrote:
It is my understanding that FedEx is a non-union operation related to its drivers. It is a fact that UPS is a union operation related to its drivers. It is also a fact that currently, all "Express" and "Overnight" mail shipped by the USPS is actually "third-party" shipped by FedEx on behalf of the USPS.

Could this be the federal unions that are part of the USPS pushing the DEA/FDA (and I am sure with some implicit permission of the DOJ) to "shut down" those non-union bastards at FedEx so that the unionized UPS can take over the USPS third party operations?

/tin foil hat off...

Of course, I am also not surprised that the heavy-handed tactics of the DEA is to go after the guys they know they can go after (the "big" delivery guys) rather than each individual drug dealer/internet pharma. It's the easy way out for the DEA.

It's interesting that fedex ships any 'smart ship' packages through the USPS for fullfillment in counterpoint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
chrisnd wrote:

/tin foil hat off...

It's interesting that fedex ships any 'smart ship' packages through the USPS for fullfillment in counterpoint.

It's also interesting that the Feds already went after UPS for the same thing. They settled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I find Fed Ex saying they can't afford to inspect the packages to be completely ridiculous. I work for the Postal Service and I can tell you their competition does have to inspect packages.

We have an entire governmental agency the Postal Inspectors who do this. And they are funded by the USPS.

If USPS has to pay for making sure laws are followed, I find it ridiculous that the private sector does not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
frumpish wrote:
I find Fed Ex saying they can't afford to inspect the packages to be completely ridiculous. I work for the Postal Service and I can tell you their competition does have to inspect packages.

We have an entire governmental agency the Postal Inspectors who do this. And they are funded by the USPS.

If USPS has to pay for making sure laws are followed, I find it ridiculous that the private sector does not.

I call bullshit.

This is about the credentials of the sender shipping legal products.

AND FedEx requested a list of senders with questionable credentials.

They were shipping LEGAL products.

As a gov't agency USPS does have a legal enforcement arm, with the ability to make arrests, involve prosecutors, and such. FedEx cannot do that.

I am fairly certain you would bristle at the notion of disbanding or privatizing our postal system, and letting the market decide who to use.

It is clearly not in the same league as FedEx, and you would fight against making it such. Therefore, take your irrelevant statement elsewhere.

I wouldn't mind it, but then I live in a sizable east coast town. You'd be fucked up in freezeboxland though koldie. Most of the west too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
frumpish wrote:

Does the USPS search packages without a warrant? When you say "inspect", what specifically do you mean?

First Class or higher (both mail and parcels) cannot be legally searched without a warrant. Lower classes of mail are not supposed to be for personal correspondence for which you would have a reasonable expectation of privacy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
MENTE, MANU ET INSTRUMENTUM
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
frumpish wrote:

Does the USPS search packages without a warrant? When you say "inspect", what specifically do you mean?

Canada Post has an official manual as thick as a phone book. The USPS has one as well. Somewhere in there it entails what the USPS can do with your mail.

Generally, there is some kind of chain going, for example, from buying a stamp to everything in the USPS "terms of service".

For example, when I went to university, I agreed to every letter in the 300 page university calendar, including the code of conduct. How? On the back of my course selection confirmation sheet, in fine print, was a clause indicating that my signature on the front of the sheet also binds me to the next clause binding me to abide by the entire university calendar plus any changes the university feels like making along the way.

Is this any different than any terms of service. What I especially like and which has become a de facto part of any terms of service document, is that one gives up the right to use our legal system in any dispute with whomever your signing up for a service. Nice, eh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
frumpish wrote:

Canada Post has an official manual as thick as a phone book. The USPS has one as well. Somewhere in there it entails what the USPS can do with your mail.

Generally, there is some kind of chain going, for example, from buying a stamp to everything in the USPS "terms of service".

For example, when I went to university, I agreed to every letter in the 300 page university calendar, including the code of conduct. How? On the back of my course selection confirmation sheet, in fine print, was a clause indicating that my signature on the front of the sheet also binds me to the next clause binding me to abide by the entire university calendar plus any changes the university feels like making along the way.

Is this any different than any terms of service. What I especially like and which has become a de facto part of any terms of service document, is that one gives up the right to use our legal system in any dispute with whomever your signing up for a service. Nice, eh?

ham is really delicious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
MENTE, MANU ET INSTRUMENTUM
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
isaacc wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
frumpish wrote:

ham is really delicious.

What?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
frumpish wrote:

I don't know all the ins and outs of how the Postal Inspectors operate. But I know that USPS operates the Postal Inspectors to enforce Federal law.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.