Defenders of the Realm» Forums » Rules

Subject: Demon Tainting Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I was sure this question would have been asked before but I can't find it in the FAQ or in the forum so I guess I'll ask it here.

If a location contains 2 red Minions and no other Minions and a Darkness Spreads Card says you must place 2 more red Minions in that location, would that cause 2 tainted crystals to be added to that location or just 1?

I guess my question is, are you adding the 2 red Minions as a group or 1 at at time, such that the first one causes a taint at 3, and the second a taint due to an overrun.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Just 1, if I recall correctly, and they'll spread, of course. You can only ever have 3 demons in the same location, so the 4th is not actually placed there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a similar question and posted this:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1194752/finally-played-game

some responses:

Monsters overrun one at a time, regardless of how many are called to be placed.

---

An Overrun occurs when by placing minion(s) on a location the number of minions becomes greater then 3. Then place minion(s) on the location until there are 3 minions. Put a taint crystal on the location. Place one minion of the color causing the Overrun into each adjacent location.
If an adjacent location contains a taint crystal, place another taint crystal there instead of the minion.
If an adjacent location contains already 3 minions place only a taint crystal on this location.
One Overrun will NOT trigger a second Overrun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Thanks but I'm not certain you're understanding my question correctly or more likely, I didn't phrase it well.

Let me be more specific:

Location A has 2 red Minions and no other Minions. A Darkness Spreads card says to place 1 red Minion in that location. That would cause a tainted crystal to be added.

The next Darkness Spreads card says to place 1 red Minion in that same location. That would cause a second tainted crystal to be added along with an overrun.

So my question is, what happens if there's 2 red Minions in Location A, and a Darkness Spreads card says to add 2 red Minions to that location. Do you end up with 1 crystal or 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If one darkness spreads card adds 2 to one spot, it'd be one taint and an overrun.

If you're drawing multiple cards for darkness spreads and each adds to that spot, I'd say 2 taints, 1 overrun (for the 4th demon). This is because each card should be completed before doing the next card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
MilesF wrote:
If one darkness spreads card adds 2 to one spot, it'd be one taint and an overrun.

If you're drawing multiple cards for darkness spreads and each adds to that spot, I'd say 2 taints, 1 overrun (for the 4th demon). This is because each card should be completed before doing the next card.

Interesting. If I were to take a guess, I would have thought 2. Thanks for your insight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bell
United States
Osceola Mills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Life is not a game - games are life.
badge
You learn more about a person in an hour of gaming than you do in a year of conversation.
mbmbmbmbmb
schnel wrote:
I was sure this question would have been asked before but I can't find it in the FAQ or in the forum so I guess I'll ask it here.

This question has been asked before and also answered before.

Only 1 Tainted Crystal can be placed at a Location for each act of Placing Minions on a Darkness Spreads Card. In your example, the first Demon placed causes a Taint (3 Demons at the Location) and the second Demon (while not actually placed at the Location) causes an Overrun. A Tainted Crystal was already placed at this Location as a result of this act of Placing Minions, so no more can be placed at this Location until the next act.

Richard clarifies all in this thread:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/5415237#5415237

Keep Defending the Realm, Larry! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
DrCrow wrote:
schnel wrote:

This question has been asked before and also answered before. ;)

Only 1 Tainted Crystal can be placed for each act of Placing Minions on a Darkness Spreads Card. In your example, the first Demon placed causes a Taint (3 Demons at the Location) and the second Demon (while not actually placed at the Location) causes an Overrun. A Tainted Crystal was already placed as a result of this act of Placing Minions, so no more can be placed until the next act.

Richard clarifies all in this thread:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/5415237#5415237

Keep Defending the Realm, Larry! :cool:

Thanks Rob! That was exactly the post I've been searching high and low for.

However, could you kindly clarify what Richard meant when he wrote, "However, if you have a General Move into that same location (possible, but not likely), you would add another Tainted Crystal rather than add minions as an overrun would occur again?"

Maybe I'm being thick or completely missing something, but how could a Darkness Spreads Card that moves a General into a location cause an overrun? I thought the only thing that can generate an overrun was the addition of minions to a location!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bell
United States
Osceola Mills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Life is not a game - games are life.
badge
You learn more about a person in an hour of gaming than you do in a year of conversation.
mbmbmbmbmb
schnel wrote:
Maybe I'm being thick or completely missing something, but how could a Darkness Spreads Card that moves a General into a location cause an overrun? I thought the only thing that can generate an overrun was the addition of minions to a location!

When a General moves they usually bring Minions with them. These Minions are placed in the Location that the General moves to and cause Overruns and Taint (as a new act) just like Placing Minions on the upper portion of a Darkness Spreads Card.

Hope this helps explain it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
DrCrow wrote:
schnel wrote:

When a General moves they usually bring Minions with them. These Minions are placed in the Location that the General moves to and cause Overruns and Taint (as a new act) just like Placing Minions on the upper portion of a Darkness Spreads Card.

Hope this helps explains it. :)

Oh, right, of course. I completely forgot!
Thanks again!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.