Popular Tags: [View All]
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here You go!

Wade and his good friend Chris Juel have restructured the rules to where they are comfortable. Wade wishes you to know that it’s not pretty … yet. It will be. He intends to add a full table of contents, index and illustrated examples. These are still in the works but we all wanted you to have these rules before WBC. Pay special attention to the Rout and Siege rules these are major departures from the previous rules. Other than that, changes are minor and the ease at which you can find information as well as the definitive explanations – well, hey, what can I say. Wade knocked it out of the park. After this journey we decided to stay open to your suggestions as you play and discover things we might not have discovered so expect the final version to be even tighter. God bless Wade and Chris for keeping their noses to the grindstone and God bless all of you all for hanging in there with us. Lincoln’s War really is a fantastic game that just got off to a rocky start. Now you can enjoy it as it was meant to be enjoyed.

The rules have been submitted. As soon as BGG staff okays them you will find the new rules posted here on this site, on Consimworld and on the MMP site as well.

Wade would like to add - "I would like to thank everyone who has helped and contributed with their proofreading, recommendations, edits, and especially your time. I will continue to hone the rules to my satisfaction but I did need to get these out before WBC so everyone has a little bit of time to go over them prior. I will try to have some new player aids out tomorrow and will continue to update things as further proofreading and especially playtesting continue. I would really like some feedback (after play of several games so you are familiar with all the concepts and subtleties) on the Victory Point Awards. I’m not sure if they are skewed toward one side or the other but John and I think perhaps they favor the South. I’m very curious to hear what you all think about that. Of course, if you see anything else that sticks out to you, let me know and I will continue to make corrections. This was a lot more work than I thought it would be and it’s easy for me to miss some things. I will be printing out what I have here and reading it carefully myself. Once again, thanks to all of you. Regards, Wade"

Oh one more thing, for those of you attending WBC, if you are looking for larger playing pieces, we may be able to help a few of you out there too.

Pax,

John P.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
That Wade guy is awesome. You should make a card for him in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Amen, amen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?233@@.1dd2a5d3/799!enclosur...\

Courtesy of Consimworld, who now is Google searchable.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sag! You da man!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osprey
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Errg...Argh..
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope you all enjoy the new version of the rules. I am currently still working on reformatting them properly. The original files were given to me in Adobe InDesign format and I imported them into MS Word. The transition didn't come through cleanly and Word would not let me change a lot of the fonts or formats, so there are multiple fonts in the document and the whole format needs cleaning up. I will go over it page by page and clean it all up and add a table of contents and an index. Right now however my priority is producing the corrected and amended player aids. Thanks to everyone who helped with the proofreading and made suggestions, as well as all of you who displayed a lot of patience. I hope that if you played it before and didn't like it that you give it another try. If you did like it, you'll like it even better. And if you haven't played it yet, what are you waiting for?
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Miller
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm looking forward to trying out the new rules! Thanks for all of the hard work, it's appreciated!

-Phil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Viener
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
Thanks for the hard work. If possible it would be great if changes could be in colored font to identify them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert, with changes, rephrasing, explanations, new concepts ... etc. when all these were marked and added, they increase the size of the rules substantially. However such a beast was requested of Wade for MMP. I forwarded that to Perry and MMP last night and he should be posting the same on the MMP site sometime this week.

Do note that I have added a PDF version to the rules files on this site - thanks to Air Judden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osprey
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Errg...Argh..
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert Viener wrote:
Thanks for the hard work. If possible it would be great if changes could be in colored font to identify them.

Hi Robert.

Just to back up what John said, I don't think you'd want to see the marked up copy. You could probably read the new rules and actually play the game about 10 times before you got through that rat's nest and understood everything. Seriously, it would be a whole lot quicker if you read the new rules and old rules and compared the two, but I hope you really like the game. Please let us know if you have any questions or comments as I'm still doing some clean up work on them. (had to go buy a book last night to learn a few things)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, Wade, every now and then I buy a book to ... learn new things.

Sorry, buddy. Couldn't resist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osprey
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Errg...Argh..
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw what you did there. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A PDF version of the new rules has been approved and has been posted in the FILES section below.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Perks
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Kirsipuu
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have the rules been changed significantly? Does it change the game play a lot? Why were these changes made to the rules and other charts?

I understood that the original rules were badly written. But I don't understand why where the rules changed all together? I hope some one can clarify these issues for me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osprey
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Errg...Argh..
mbmbmbmbmb
Kirss wrote:
Have the rules been changed significantly? Does it change the game play a lot? Why were these changes made to the rules and other charts?

I understood that the original rules were badly written. But I don't understand why where the rules changed all together? I hope some one can clarify these issues for me

I would recommend that you download the new rules and compare them yourself. There were many fixes to things that were unclear, and many changes that made gameplay more enjoyable. The charts and tables were updated to fix errata and to correspond to game changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Martin, to answer your question and allay your fears, no the rules were not changed significantly. There was significant reorganization and unclear wording was clarified. Along the way, Wade and Chris offered suggestions to enhance play such as the siege rules, "6 PC" cards used to campaign in different theaters, Cavalry foray rule and extended movement of minor armies if not committed to battle. I helped test and approve these additions wholeheartedly. They do not alter the complexioin of the game but rather increase the game's intensity.

Thanks for your interest in LW, Martin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Schmittgens
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think another notable change is the addition of a Rout result in combat, in addition to Standoff, Minor Victory and Major Victory.

IMO this is different from the real "enhancements" John mentioned. It does address the previous anomaly when a large force overwhelms a much smaller force but is crippled by the accrued IT due to the combat result difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osprey
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Errg...Argh..
mbmbmbmbmb
GS in KS wrote:
I think another notable change is the addition of a Rout result in combat, in addition to Standoff, Minor Victory and Major Victory.

IMO this is different from the real "enhancements" John mentioned. It does address the previous anomaly when a large force overwhelms a much smaller force but is crippled by the accrued IT due to the combat result difference.

This was the desired effect for Routs, which we had playtested and actually changed the original ideas that we had for them because they were too severe. We actually put a lot of thought into the rout rule. The original rules for Overruns as published did not really produce historical results and there were virtually no effects on the victorious force. In most large battles that took place during the war, even when the enemy was "routed", the victor took lots of casualties as well, and usually had to stop after the battles despite cries from above to pursue the defeated army. They were beat up, disorganized, and had to regroup. In a way they actually were crippled for a short time. I think given the time span of the game, coupled with the fact that you can buy off ITs from the "crippled" army, it works out pretty well. Also, the effects of a rout are directly proportional to the size of the forces engaged in the battle, which we really liked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JOE LIBRANDI
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Osprey wrote:
I hope you all enjoy the new version of the rules. I am currently still working on reformatting them properly. The original files were given to me in Adobe InDesign format and I imported them into MS Word. The transition didn't come through cleanly and Word would not let me change a lot of the fonts or formats, so there are multiple fonts in the document and the whole format needs cleaning up. I will go over it page by page and clean it all up and add a table of contents and an index. Right now however my priority is producing the corrected and amended player aids. Thanks to everyone who helped with the proofreading and made suggestions, as well as all of you who displayed a lot of patience. I hope that if you played it before and didn't like it that you give it another try. If you did like it, you'll like it even better. And if you haven't played it yet, what are you waiting for?

When is the final product going to be available?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.