Subject: 1ST EDITION VS 2ND EDITION OF AGENTS OF SMERSH rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JASON MAXWELL
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally I would not call a reprint of one of our games as a "2nd Edition", and I know some of you who already have the game will be concerned, so I thought I would explain why I'm calling the new print the 2nd Edition.

The 1st Edition was 8th Summit's first game and it was a huge task completed primarily by myself alone, until Dan Booth came alone during Kickstarter to help with the editing. With that, there are things I wish I could have done better with the 1st Edition. It was also my first time producing a game, so the learning curve was short and steep. I want a chance to fix those things so that's why I think this should be called a 2nd Edition. However, 1st Edition owners should not be concerned, because I will make the book and new items available at a low price for 1st Edition owners -- the book along with additional materials. I'll keep the price as low.

Here are changes:

Edited Book of Encounters: We actually been working on this reprint all this year. The biggest improvement is that Dan re-edited the entire book. Dan is also a professional editor. He does it for living and the first time we edited the book was at a brisk pace. It still took over a year to put together. Now, we've had a couple years to find errors, and I will also read through it again later this month.

Book Cover: I also have a new cover for the book of encounters. It is more colorful. But again 1st edition owners will be able to get this book.

Rulebook: The new rulebook will be in the 2nd Edition.

The Box: The new Box has a few more graphics on the sides, which are bare in the original game as Tom Vasel loves to point out to me . That could have been better done in the 1st Edition. There are a few other minor improvements but overall it's still the same design. This won't be available without buying the game. I'm not sure how I could provide that to 1st Edition owners.

Written Encounter Cards: These will not be in the 2nd edition Few people use them in the 1st edition and they add a lot of cost. I know that some people did like them so I will make them available as an addon. Why did I do this? Well I didn't want to add them in the original game but I was so unsure at the time the best way to make the game appealing that I wrote all those cards during the KS campaign.

Also, different manufacturer than 1st edition. We will try to match the 1st in exact quality but I'm sure there will be minor differences.

Beyond that, there's nothing else. For this new Kickstarter, I know that everyone wants all the kickstarter stuff from the previous two campaigns. So in order to insure that you get everything, they won't be offered as stretch goals but attached to every copy. There probably won't be stretch goals. All "what would be offered as stretch goals" will be given to anyone who buys through the kickstarter right off the bat. I think this will work fine since there's a TON of promos. I hope to have a Kickstarter up and running in 2-4 weeks. Thanks! -Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Darn. Today I purchased one of the few remaining copys I could find. Family saved money to afford since I'm out of work. Nit your fault but I hate to not have newest versions and probably will no be able to afford upgrade. Dissapointed for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Van
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Agents of SMERSH will always have a fond place in my heart. Not only is it a fantastic game in its own right, but it also opened the door to my 8th Summit allegiance. Other than the recent party game, I've snagged (and really like) everything you have produced.

Thank you for thinking of the first printing folks when you do eventually go 'live'. While I believe I have all of the promos, the reedited book of encounters would be really nice to have.

I do have one question: Have you considered throwing in the 'Showdown with Doctor Lobo' end game scenario? I was rooting for that to make it during the Swagman campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ibarzabal

Campinas
Sao Paulo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know what, a Book of Encounters electronic version, for iPad/iPhone/Android...

This would be really cool.

Arkham Horror has one (AH Kit) and it helps a lot with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JASON MAXWELL
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Scenario book is called Agents of SMERSH: Showdown! It will provide a story and setup for a linear system of games. There is an endgame with every scenario where players will get to interact with Dr. Lobo. Or at least someone who looks and acts like him...

Oh, and there is the possibility of a smersh app. Someone approached me with an app they made and if they can put it together in time we'll offer it. No promises on that one but eventually we may be able to get one together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
markwilsonsd wrote:
Darn. Today I purchased one of the few remaining copys I could find. Family saved money to afford since I'm out of work. Nit your fault but I hate to not have newest versions and probably will no be able to afford upgrade. Dissapointed for sure.

No worries Mark. You will have plenty of fun with the "1st Edition". There are no dramatic flaws you will suffer just because you don't have the latest print run. Forget this thread. Play the game, and laugh like a mad man as you explore this diabolical world that is Agents of SMERSH. I do not regret buying a copy just a few months ago, despite knowing about this new print run now.

Neither should you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rennie
United Kingdom
Louth
flag msg tools
mbmb
Please tell me that there will be distribution within the EU for this?
I live in the UK and I would never afford the taxes to have it shipped from the US cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JASON MAXWELL
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I have a place in Germany that will be doing fulfillment so shipping to the EU will be a lot cheaper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JASON MAXWELL
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh and yes Mark you are good with getting the 1st edition, otherwise you will be waiting a long time for the reprint. The game is exactly the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rennie
United Kingdom
Louth
flag msg tools
mbmb
enditen wrote:
Yes I have a place in Germany that will be doing fulfillment so shipping to the EU will be a lot cheaper.

Thanks Jason, I'll be there on day one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Liew
Canada
Markham
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The book of encounters is excellent but having an iPhone or Android app would mean not having to fumble through the pages every minute or two. Should speed the game up and seems to be a more "elegent" way of delivering the encounters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And Windows Phone/Win 8. Me and all my gaming crew would appreciate that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Son Do
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
will it include swagmans hope?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JASON MAXWELL
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A programmer is working on an Android version. I don't want to announce this a part of the kickstarter yet, because I have not seen the final program. But if he gets it to me in the next week or two and it works nicely I will add it. And 1st Edition owners will be able to get it delivered to them for free.

Oh and sorry he's only making an android version. No IOS yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JASON MAXWELL
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I just looked at the app and it works fine. I'd like a couple additions to it so we will see if it gets finished soon. He is inputting the edited book and removing the old one. I don't know how long that takes. I will ask about Swagman's Hope. Might have to add that later.

If you use Apple, like myself, you can run android programs on a computer using an emulator. That's how I am testing the program.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Picioccio
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where are you going to sell the upgrade?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/Las-Cruces-Board-Gamers/
badge
I turned Old & Chaotic Evil Bob to Lawful Good (for a day...)
mb
enditen wrote:
The Scenario book is called Agents of SMERSH: Showdown! It will provide a story and setup for a linear system of games. There is an endgame with every scenario where players will get to interact with Dr. Lobo. Or at least someone who looks and acts like him...

Oh, and there is the possibility of a smersh app. Someone approached me with an app they made and if they can put it together in time we'll offer it. No promises on that one but eventually we may be able to get one together.

I did a dance of joy when I heard about the end game scenarios. I love, Love, LOVE this game, and the only reason some of my gaming buddies gave for not wanting to play it was that they felt there should be a showdown and/or interaction with Dr. Lobo at the end! Score!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a love/hate relationship.
badge
Check out my board game instructional videos on my YouTube channel: "The Game Explainer".
mbmbmbmbmb
enditen wrote:
Okay, I just looked at the app and it works fine. I'd like a couple additions to it so we will see if it gets finished soon. He is inputting the edited book and removing the old one. I don't know how long that takes. I will ask about Swagman's Hope. Might have to add that later.

If you use Apple, like myself, you can run android programs on a computer using an emulator. That's how I am testing the program.

I'm lovin' everything about this announcement. The immersion does suffer a bit when we stumble over a typo/grammar error, so a re-edited book will be great. The Android app is even better, as I would love to use my tablet with this game. And finally, the endgame encounters with Dr. Lobo would be epic!

Jason, you continue to find ways to take my money.

BTW, we played SMERSH+Swagman's Hope this past weekend with 5-players (first time), and really put the screws to SMERSH. Lobo was at 2, and all but 2 Intel were face up in the pool. That's the first time we've had so much face-up Intel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Booth
United Kingdom
Bicester
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The immersion does suffer a bit when we stumble over a typo/grammar error

Yeah - sorry about that! As Jason said, the first version was written at "a brisk pace" (which is something of an understatement..!) The Second Edition will be considerably better

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enditen wrote:

For whatever it's worth, that's kind of utterly useless from a "streamlining the gameplay experience" standpoint. Is the suggestion that players keep a laptop handy while playing? You're not going to be emulating Android software on an iPad.

Don't get me wrong; something is better than nothing, but there are less-than-tech-savvy folks who might see a statement like yours, get excited, then realize they were SOL with your app (which I, personally, would pay cash money for on a device I could actually use).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Depending on how the app is written making an IOS version could be anything from a piece of cake to having to start again from scratch. I can't see it being horrendously complicated to build either way though. It's just always going to be time consuming because of the sheer volume of text...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
ohbalto wrote:
enditen wrote:

For whatever it's worth, that's kind of utterly useless from a "streamlining the gameplay experience" standpoint. Is the suggestion that players keep a laptop handy while playing? You're not going to be emulating Android software on an iPad.

Don't get me wrong; something is better than nothing, but there are less-than-tech-savvy folks who might see a statement like yours, get excited, then realize they were SOL with your app (which I, personally, would pay cash money for on a device I could actually use).

If you are playing at home you could just run the app on your PC/laptop through the emulator and use VNC on the iPad to get a remote copy of your PC. Still fiddly but better than the laptop approach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well Jason, I got my copy today and love it. Typos and all.

But guess what? As far as I can tell only one piece is missing from the whole lot o stuff. It's missing one black cube. What are the odds of that!

If I can't find one can you send me a replacement?

Thanks for the positive response. Let's hope when you get around to offering us 1st edition owners CHEAP upgrades that I'll also have a freakin job!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is actually cool news.

I recently bought the game through marketplace a couple of months ago (couldn't find it anywhere else.) Have had a handful of plays with friends with great fun. (Hardest part is getting my friends to be more dramatic when reading the encounters! )

For those concerned, about having the "1st" edition:
Yea, it kind of sucks if you just bought it recently but there is great play value in what is there.

I will probably end up buying the revised book mk2 so that there can be one on each side of the table.

Question though: I was planning on buying the Secret Mission promo from BGG because it looks like a superb idea. Will that be a part of the new kickstarter?

Anyway we can get a preview on here of what may be offered?

My 2 cents: OS specific mobile apps are junk. A solid webpage with cross browser compatibility way more useful. (Plus, if built right with appropriate web services, can make building OS specific apps even easier.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JASON MAXWELL
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure I'll send you a black cube. Send us an email at support@8thsummit.net

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.