Hide
5 Posts

Circus Maximus» Forums » Variants

Subject: Alternate Tracks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Hook
msg tools
Has anybody ever messed around with an alternate track layout besides the standard oval? I'm pretty sure Circus Imperium has rules for an "X" track, and that sounds like it could be quite fun (two additional crossing opportunities per lap? Sign me up!). Even just putting in some obstacles or narrowing the track in certain areas would really shake things up.

Note this is coming from someone who just bought the game, so trying a different track design might be a horrible idea. Just curious if anybody has tried it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lind
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
My favorite response to anyone's question about how something happened.
badge
Really, Mom, I was just sittin' here mindin' my own business!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jake Jacoby ran a banked cloverleaf track at PREZCON earlier this year. It was possible to have chariots crossing the center from 2 directions at the same time. You were not allowed to "back track" or anything like that though - you had to race in the direction of the finish line. That particular track seemed to favor light chariots quite a bit; or at least faster chariots quite a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hovan
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I played at a con 20 years ago where a guy built a semi-road rally kind of track. There were lanes that would end suddenly in the curves and stuff like that. It was a blast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Hook
msg tools
Aardvarkius wrote:
Jake Jacoby ran a banked cloverleaf track at PREZCON earlier this year. It was possible to have chariots crossing the center from 2 directions at the same time. You were not allowed to "back track" or anything like that though - you had to race in the direction of the finish line. That particular track seemed to favor light chariots quite a bit; or at least faster chariots quite a bit.

That sounds exactly like what I was thinking about. You know if there's any pictures of that board around anywhere?

After playing my first game today I feel slightly more qualified to say that different boards would be cool, but not at all needed. The distances are actually balanced out quite well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Desalvo
Italy
Country side area north of Rome
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a feder-allergic and I blame the Klingon for not having smashed the Federation in time to save us from Star Trek serials.
mbmbmbmbmb
that_one_guy wrote:
Aardvarkius wrote:

That sounds exactly like what I was thinking about. You know if there's any pictures of that board around anywhere?

After playing my first game today I feel slightly more qualified to say that different boards would be cool, but not at all needed. The distances are actually balanced out quite well.

It sound as they used the maps of Circus Imperium that has such a feature.
But to create new tracks by using components from other games like Formula ยต as this image shows well:

Or you canuse games like Tour de France and Giro d'Italia: The Game that allows you to create on-line paths.
I'm thinking to design an alternative circuit that I would name "Monzum", but I never had the time to do it since I had the idea. When I will have the time you will see it here on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.